[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anyone like goulasch?

Bier Meister

some of you know i'm austrian/italian/hungarian..... i have a great gulasch recipe that i made as our soup du jour last week...

5 slices of bacon (diced)

3 lbs of boneless chuck, trimmed, cubed

2 tbs veg oil

3 med onions (small dice)

2 C mushrooms (quartered)

3 garlic cloves (minced)

3-4 tbs paprika

1 1/2 tsp carraway seeds

1/3 C ap flour

1/4 C red wine vinegar

1/4 C tomato paste

5 C beef broth

5 C water

1/2 tsp salt

2 red peppers (cleaned and small diced)

4 large potatoes

1 C sour cream

in an 8 qt pot.... crisp bacon. remove and save for later. brown the chuck. transfer to same bowl as bacon.

reduce heat to medium, add oil. saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms. stir in paprika, carraway, and flour. cook for about 2 min (we are making our roux in the pot :D). whisk in vinegar and tomato paste. cook for about a minute. stir in broth, water, salt, peppers. bacon, and chuck. bring to a boil.... bring temp down a little and simmer for about 45 min.

get a bowl of cold water. peel and dice potatoes (1/2 inch) one at a time... put diced potato in water. after the 45 min of simmering, add the diced potatoes.... continue simmering for about 30 min.

check thickness. add sour cream and whisk into soup. if still not thick enough, use a slurry (2 tbs corn starch and 1 1/2 tbs cold water- disolved).

serve with a dollup of sour cream and chopped parsley.

Edited by Bier Meister

Hey Bier.... any idea how well this holds up to freezing? I tend to make large batches of stuff, and freeze the leftovers for quick delicious meals. Some things freeze really well.... italian sauce, chicken ala king.... some things don't, like pot roast and gravy. I'll be making a batch tomorrow or the next day, and if you have any info, that would determine my batch size....

Hey Bier.... any idea how well this holds up to freezing? I tend to make large batches of stuff, and freeze the leftovers for quick delicious meals. Some things freeze really well.... italian sauce, chicken ala king.... some things don't, like pot roast and gravy. I'll be making a batch tomorrow or the next day, and if you have any info, that would determine my batch size....

1199861[/snapback]

freezes pretty well...... i made a double batch of this and froze half.... thawed out fine.

I make a similar Goulash too, i usually pair it with some German Spaetzle. This is a pretty good recipe i used from the food network. Its really easy and makes a great side dish.

Spaetzle

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. In another mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg-milk mixture. Gradually draw in the flour from the sides and combine well; the dough should be smooth and thick. Let the dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot, then reduce to a simmer. To form the spaetzle, hold a large holed colander or slotted spoon over the simmering water and push the dough through the holes with a spatula or spoon. Do this in batches so you don't overcrowd the pot. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the spaetzle floats to the surface, stirring gently to prevent sticking. Dump the spaetzle into a colander and give it a quick rinse with cool water.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the spaetzle; tossing to coat. Cook the spaetzle for 1 to 2 minutes to give the noodles some color, and then sprinkle with the chopped chives and season with salt and pepper before serving.

• 10 months later...

some of you know i'm austrian/italian/hungarian..... i have a great gulasch recipe that i made as our soup du jour last week...

5 slices of bacon (diced)

3 lbs of boneless chuck, trimmed, cubed

2 tbs veg oil

3 med onions (small dice)

2 C mushrooms (quartered)

3 garlic cloves (minced)

3-4 tbs paprika

1 1/2 tsp carraway seeds

1/3 C ap flour

1/4 C red wine vinegar

1/4 C tomato paste

5 C beef broth

5 C water

1/2 tsp salt

2 red peppers (cleaned and small diced)

4 large potatoes

1 C sour cream

in an 8 qt pot.... crisp bacon. remove and save for later. brown the chuck. transfer to same bowl as bacon.

reduce heat to medium, add oil. saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms. stir in paprika, carraway, and flour. cook for about 2 min (we are making our roux in the pot :D). whisk in vinegar and tomato paste. cook for about a minute. stir in broth, water, salt, peppers. bacon, and chuck. bring to a boil.... bring temp down a little and simmer for about 45 min.

get a bowl of cold water. peel and dice potatoes (1/2 inch) one at a time... put diced potato in water. after the 45 min of simmering, add the diced potatoes.... continue simmering for about 30 min.

check thickness. add sour cream and whisk into soup. if still not thick enough, use a slurry (2 tbs corn starch and 1 1/2 tbs cold water- disolved).

serve with a dollup of sour cream and chopped parsley.

thats a lot like what we have on the stove at deer camp.... its on for 5 days and has things added threwout the week :D

• 3 years later...