[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LenDale White to GB

Guest Sores

9 man fronts? Only 2 players in coverage?

I sure hope so.

1322333[/snapback]

Not necessarily only 2 players in coverage. A "9-man front" just means both safeties are crowding the line of scrimmage in anticipation of the run. Obviously, if the QB backpedals standing up, the safeties would drop back in coverage. The point is that they wouldn't worry about giving the receivers an 8- or 10-yard head start, because they'd have confidence that Rodgers couldn't take advantage.

Result? Gado averages 2.8 yards per carry for 3 quarters, then Rodgers has to win games through the air in the fourth quarter. Follow?

Not necessarily only 2 players in coverage. A "9-man front" just means both safeties are crowding the line of scrimmage in anticipation of the run. Obviously, if the QB backpedals standing up, the safeties would drop back in coverage. The point is that they wouldn't worry about giving the receivers an 8- or 10-yard head start, because they'd have confidence that Rodgers couldn't take advantage.

Result? Gado averages 2.8 yards per carry for 3 quarters, then Rodgers has to win games through the air in the fourth quarter. Follow?

1322452[/snapback]

Sure I know how the game is played but most QB's love it when teams do that. They can't backpedal fast enough to make the play against receivers like Driver or Walker.

I can see 8, but the point is 9 is a little too risky even for a rookie.

What is the word on Davenport? Will they try and re-sign him?

Sure I know how the game is played but most QB's love it when teams do that. They can't backpedal fast enough to make the play against receivers like Driver or Walker.

I can see 8, but the point is 9 is a little too risky even for a rookie.

What is the word on Davenport? Will they try and re-sign him?

1322479[/snapback]

Well, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how the game was played -- I just wanted to stress that it's all about where the safeties line up.

As for Davenport, I've read absolutely nothing on whether or not they're going to re-sign him, but I would expect it. I can't see another team offering him much money, so, as strange as it sounds, Davenport might decide to stay in Green Bay simply because it's cheaper for him in the long run. If you recall, he got into some financial trouble last year and had to restructure his contract to get some money fast. I'm just not sure he'll be willing to pick up and start over somewhere else.

Well, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how the game was played -- I just wanted to stress that it's all about where the safeties line up.

1322509[/snapback]

I understand that you want a top flight RB, but I hope the Pack drafts Williams because I think DE's like him are harder to find than RB's. I think they could get someone good in the 2nd round, like Parcells did a few years ago or like Denver did with Portis. I don't think after Bush that the other guys are irreplacable.

I could be wrong about Deangelo, but right now I think Mario would make a better pick.

The defense has been terrible since Holmgren left. Even if we resign Kamp, I think drafting Williams and getting a rotation going with KGB is the best way to go.

The offense has been top 5 until this year, mainly due to injury and some guys will be back. I mean, yea, Favre may leave and putting Rogers in there makes everyone nervous, but we're not totally sure that he'll bomb. We KNOW that the defense bombs.

The defense has been terrible since Holmgren left...We KNOW that the defense bombs.

1322749[/snapback]

This is the mindset we need to avoid. We're so used to the defense being terrible that we're blinded by it. Say it with me now: the offense needs help now, the defense is good enough...the offense needs help now, the defense is good enough...

This is the mindset we need to avoid. We're so used to the defense being terrible that we're blinded by it. Say it with me now: the offense needs help now, the defense is good enough...the offense needs help now, the defense is good enough...

1322913[/snapback]

I agree with this to a point. If they can get a solid G and Green comes back close to what he was (assuming they sign him), why can't the offense be what it was 2-years ago? I think Green can still be very good behind a little better OL, you use the pick on Williams and then you can use KGB for what he really is, a 3rd down DE that cannot hold up against the run. They also need to address their DT situation, but that isn't for discussion in the first round.

I also do not think Gado is an NFL starting RB. He could be a good 2-3rd string type guy, but that is it.

Chavez...I generally agree with your assessments...but you are way off if you think Herron has a shot at being any kind of contributer if we want to field a winning team.  He is beyond bad by NFL standards.

1321345[/snapback]

I wouldn't call him bad, just slow.

I wouldn't call him bad, just slow.

1324534[/snapback]

Let's see....

Roll Call: Successful Slow NFL Running Backs not named Csonka please step forward.

:D

I was thinking along the lines of someone who can block and catch and give you at worst the Leroy Hoard "if you need two yards, I'll get you three; if you need 5 yards I'll get you three."

Edgar Bennett did OK and I think I could beat him in a footrace.

Edgar Bennett did OK and I think I could beat him in a footrace.

1324550[/snapback]

Can't find his 40 time readily, but he wasn't as slow as you remember...but he was a mudder...performed best when the field was slow....

This was coming out of HS:

EDGAR BENNETT, RB, 6-2, 198, Jacksonville, FL (Lee)-a first team 4A all-state team member as well as a member of the Florida Times Union Super 24 . . . Super Prep Magazine picked him to its All-Dixie team ... was listed as the fourth best "speed back" in the Southeast by scout Max Emfinger ... rushed for 1,300 yards on 165 carries and scored 15 touchdowns ... was also listed as one of the top 50 players in Florida by Lindy's Recruiting ... his team was 20-1 over the last two years ... Edgar Sr. is the head basketball coach at Raines High School and Edgar played basketball for Lee ... former teammate of FSU sophomore LeRoy Butler ...

Can't find his 40 time readily, but he wasn't as slow as you remember...but he was a mudder...performed best when the field was slow....

1324564[/snapback]

Nonetheless, in his Packer career, Bennett averaged fewer yard per carry than John Stephens, Darrell Thompson ('93); Reggie Cobb ('94); nobody, really, in 95, since he had 316 carries and the rest of the RBs got 45; and in '96, Bennett finally cracked the 4 ypc barrier, but was still second to Dorsey Levens' 4.7.

Herron's time is listed at 4.67, which I would regard as "fast enough" - same ballpark as Frank Gore, Marion Barber III, and Mewelde Moore, all solid contributors.

He was terrible in Tecmo Super Bowl. Please don't bring him up.

1324653[/snapback]

What? I had him lead the league in rushing 3 or 4 times (of course, it took him about 300 carries to get 1700 yds, unlike, say, Bo Jackson, who could get 2000 yds rushing on 80 carries....)

I keep reading on message boards that the Packers like Lendale White and would take him at 5.  I searched the internet for any confirmation on this, and the only thing I could find other than tons of speculation on other boards was a throw-away one liner quoting the NY Post as saying the Packers were enamored with White (along with a collegefootball.com mock with the Packers taking him).

Can anyone provide a link or other information substantiating this?

1318227[/snapback]

Things like this contribute...

Apparently Williams is weighing in just under 300 lbs and is reportedly running sub-4.7 after working out in Arizona for a month. If this holds up at the combine, this guy is a freak of nature.

1331132[/snapback]

Hmm...never heard of him weighing close to 300. Link?

Draft him, let Kamp go, and go get Witherspoon.

1331132[/snapback]

I like the Witherspoon idea a lot, but what do you suggest we do about the RB situation?

Hmm...never heard of him weighing close to 300. Link?

1331144[/snapback]

These are unconfirmed reports from guys at NFLDraftCountdown.com, so take it with a grain of salt until next week I guess. The actual number they gave was 298.

I like the Witherspoon idea a lot, but what do you suggest we do about the RB situation?

1331144[/snapback]

I like D. Williams and White, but I just see Mario as one of those can't-miss prospects who can turn into a difference maker. Take him and an OLB in the second. Obviously Gado isn't the answer right now, but could work if we resign Davenport or Green with him.

Apparently Williams is weighing in just under 300 lbs and is reportedly running sub-4.7 after working out in Arizona for a month. If this holds up at the combine, this guy is a freak of nature.

Draft him, let Kamp go, and go get Witherspoon.

1331132[/snapback]

I'd rather see them keep Kamp and start Williams opposite him, with Kabeer coming off of the bench.

I'm really hoping Thompson makes a play for Witherspoon...