[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC?

MothAudio

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chargers at home this week vs the Rams--on paper the Chargers look good, but I smell an upset.

SD has exactly the wrong team coming in with all their D injuries. STL has a very well balanced O & a very underrated D. With half the starters gone on D, STL getting 9 points looks like a gift and might be a nice sneaky money line play.

...I mean, speaking as a Chargers fan, it's gotten pretty bad!!! :D ...

Amen! :bash::D

I realize Merriman has done many good things in the community and elsewhere, but that's not the issue here. It's whether or not he knowingly took performance-enhancing steroids.

I hope he didn't, but he is at least guilty of stupidity for having taken "supplements". What makes it doubly stupid is the fact that he knew what Castillo had gone through just the year before! He and all other professional athletes should steer clear of supplements, not only to avoid the possible negative effects they might have on the body (another issue unto itself), but also to prevent the embarrassment of having to explain how a banned substance turned up in their urine.

I don't know about stupid. Was I stupid to trust the company that sold me a tainted supp? Supplements are just that...Supplments. Vitamines are a supp. Joint fomulas too. We have to see, if aver made public, what he was taking, and what it was tainted with! If he had no intention to cheat the system, and in this case my gut tells me he wasn't, why is he stupid, at this point.

Castillo knowingly took a steroid. He has made up for it and has even put a clause in his contract to prove that he won't do it again and understands it is wrong. I think Merriman already knows that and as I said, has no reason to try to cheat the system, epecially being under the scope!

Amen! :D:D

I don't know about stupid. Was I stupid to trust the company that sold me a tainted supp? Supplements are just that...Supplments. Vitamines are a supp. Joint fomulas too. We have to see, if aver made public, what he was taking, and what it was tainted with! If he had no intention to cheat the system, and in this case my gut tells me he wasn't, why is he stupid, at this point.

He's stupid at this point because he's been in the system already for substance abuse - whether steroids or something else - or else he wouldn't be under penalty of a 4 game suspension, per the agreement with the NFLPA.

He was knowingly taking supplements after he was in the system already, and at the best case he was taking those supplements without a clue as to what was in them - that's blatant stupidity. Worst case, he was trying to cheat again & got nailed. Either way, stupidity is an appropriate description.

Edited by Bronco Billy

He's stupid at this point because he's been in the system already for substance abuse - whether steroids or something else - or else he wouldn't be under penalty of a 4 game suspension, per the agreement with the NFLPA.

He was knowingly taking supplements after he was in the system already, and at the best case he was taking those supplements without a clue as to what was in them - that's blatant stupidity. Worst case, he was trying to cheat again & got nailed. Either way, stupidity is an appropriate description.

Not worth your time....McBoog will defend the Chargers till he is powder blue in the face.

Np way my friend the best team int he AFC are the Denver Broncos i mean im a little biased but i mean come on only two touchdowns allowed on defense and there winnging games without an offense i mean now that Matt Lepsis is gone that offense is going to struggle just a little bit more but the defense has shown more than enough for me to say they are the best team in the AFC

Not worth your time....McBoog will defend the Chargers till he is powder blue in the face.

:D You don't reed tooo gud! I don't ever support bad behavior!

Where you get the second offense is beyond me Bronco. That was Castillo. First time offense (depending on the substance) is a four game suspension once you are a signed player in an NFL system.

Can you link the prior violation? If you can, I missed something and then YES.... STUPID! Otherwise, I stand pat on the kid until more factsd are revealed.

:D You don't reed tooo gud! I don't ever support bad behavior!

Where you get the second offense is beyond me Bronco. That was Castillo. First time offense (depending on the substance) is a four game suspension once you are a signed player in an NFL system.

Can you link the prior violation? If you can, I missed something and then YES.... STUPID! Otherwise, I stand pat on the kid until more factsd are revealed.

First off, per the agreement between the league & the NFLPA, a 4 game suspension is not instituted until at a minimum a player's second violation.

Secondly, per that same agreement, the league can not release information regarding violations prior to the one that instigates a 4 week suspension. If a player has violated previous to the one that gets him a 4 week vacation and it is made public, it is because of information released from the player's side.

Post edit - it appears that I am wrong

The league's steriod abuse program is different that the alcohol/substance abuse program. From the CBA regarding steriod abuse:

6. Suspension and Related Discipline

Players with a confirmed positive test result will be subject to discipline by the Commissioner.

Before a player is reinstated fo llowing a suspension, he must test nega tive for all

Prohibited Substances and must be approved as fit for play by his team physician.

Step One:

The first time a player violates this Policy by testing positive; attempting to substitute, dilute

or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by violation of law (see Section 5), he

will be suspended without pay for a minimum of four regular and/or postseason games. The

suspension will begin on the date set in the League's notification to the playe r of his

suspension, subject to any appeal (see Section 10). If fewer than four games remain in the

season, including any postseason games for which the Club qualifies, the suspension will

carry over to the next regular season, until a total of four regular and/or postseason games

have been missed.

If the imposition of a player’s suspension occurs prior to or during the preseason, the player

will be permit ted to engage in all preseason activities. Upon the posting of final rosters,

however, he will be suspended for four regular season games.

In addition, the player will be subject to evaluation and counseling if, in the opinion of the

Advisor, such assistance is warranted.

Step Two:

The second time a player violates this Policy by testing positive; attempting to substitute,

dilute or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by violation of law (see Section

5), he will be suspended without pay for a minimum of eight regular and/or postseason

games. The suspension will begin on the date set in the League’s notification to the player of

his suspension, subject to any appeal (see Section 10). If there are fewer than eight regular

and/or postseason games remaining in the season, including any postseason games for which

the Club qualifies, the suspension will continue into the next regular season until a total of

eight regular and/or postseason games have been missed.

Step Three:

The third time a player violates the Policy by testing positive; attempting to substitute, dilute

or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by violation of law (see Section 5), he

will be suspended without pay for a period of at least 12 months, subject to any appeal (see

Section 10). Such a player may petition the Commissioner for reinstatement after 12 months.

Reinstatement, and any terms and conditions thereof, shall be matters solely within the

Commissioner’s sound discretion.

7 (6.20.06)

Players who are suspended under this Policy will be placed on the Reserve/Commissioner

Suspension list. During the period that he is on Reserve/Commissioner Suspension, the

player will not be paid, nor may he participate in team activities, use the Club’s facilities or

have contact with any Club officials except to arrange off-site medical treatment.

LINK

My apologies, McBoog. Personally, I still think he was stupid if he was using some type of enhancement prescription and didn't know what is in it, but that is subjective.

Edited by Bronco Billy

...My apologies, McBoog. Personally, I still think he was stupid if he was using some type of enhancement prescription and didn't know what is in it, but that is subjective.

No need brah! I just thought you knew something I didn't. In the article I posted in the link following the post you replied to, there was a statement that said there is a phone number that players can call if there are any questions about a supp posted in every NFL locker room.

If it was my career, I would call to OK a bottle of 1-A-DAY before popping anything. At least then you can come back on the league and say they apporoved it.

As I also said in that post, after reading the article, it is looking more like stupid than innocent. My respect level will wane considerably for the kid if the worst is shown to be true.

Until then, I will not condem him for anything until more FACTS are made public.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright the Colts are 9-0 but what about them Chargers?!!! Does anyone really think the Colts are going to go anywhere in the playoffs? I'm a Dungy fan and certainly not a hater but history say no. The Chargers are the most balanced team out there, have the best player, the most potent offense and regardless what Palmer and crew did on Sunday a damn fine DEF. Having S. Phillips back certainly made a difference yesterday and so will the rest of the starters come play off time.

You might want to check your stats on that. The '99 STL D was #1 against the run, #7 against the pass, & #7 overall.

Their subsequent performance in '00 shows that was a mirage.

We won. The Colts lost. Screw Denver and their frickin' "curse!

I sincerely believe the curse was broken because I flew my brand-new Chargers flag from my flag pole today! :D