[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should the Saints bench Brees, Bush, etc?

Rockerbraves

This Sunday the Saints play Carolina is an absolutely meaningless game for New Orleans in regard to playoff positioning after already securing a first round bye. So should the Saints treat this game like an exhibition game and sit their studs?

No. I think they should get players whatever work they need for the playoffs. Work on things they feel they need for the playoffs.

I would play the starters for the first half, try and get a big lead and then play backups they feel they may need.

If they sit their satrters they will have 3 weeks between games when the playoffs start.

No. I think they should get players whatever work they need for the playoffs. Work on things they feel they need for the playoffs.

I would play the starters for the first half, try and get a big lead and then play backups they feel they may need.

If they sit their satrters they will have 3 weeks between games when the playoffs start.

Agreed. I think that sitting players + a bye week gets you rusty.

One of a coach's toughest decisions entering the playoffs.

With NO getting a bye next week, if they sit players this week it will be 3 weeks between games for those players, with them coming off the 3 weeks into a semi-final playoff game. If the coach plays the players, he'll get crucified in the press, not to mention losing a player, if one of the critical players gets hurt in a meaningless game.

It's really a no-win situation for the coach. I guess if I were in charge of the team, I'd treat it like an exhibition game. Start my starters and give them a couple of series, and then pull them if they look sharp or let them go another series or two if they look crappy.

With NO getting a bye next week, if they sit players this week it will be 3 weeks between games for those players, with them coming off the 3 weeks into a semi-final playoff game. If the coach plays the players, he'll get crucified in the press, not to mention losing a player, if one of the critical players gets hurt in a meaningless game.

It's really a no-win situation for the coach. I guess if I were in charge of the team, I'd treat it like an exhibition game. Start my starters and give them a couple of series, and then pull them if they look sharp or let them go another series or two if they look crappy.

Considering football is a physical sport if I were Coach I would lean more towards not playing any of my studs. The only problem with that strategy is that the Saints present roster is down to around 46 players vs. an exhibition roster of say 65+.

I was surprised to see the opening line on the game start off New orleans favored by 8, now I see it's has Carolina favored by 3. I have to assume the line I saw first was one made prior to the Saints wrapping up the first round bye. That 11 point swing should indicate that Coach Payton agrees with me and will likely sit his studs as much as possible.

This has to be considered a huge break for the Panthers' playoff hopes.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Yes it is. Ask Tony Dungy. They thought they were ready, but looked mostly flat during the game. I don't think Payton cares about what the press says, but we'll see what he does.

I feel he will play the first team at least a half then you will see replacements. He has stated he really doesn't know what he is going to do yet, he is studying the situation.

Really whatever he decides will be fine he has made very few wrong decisions this year.

Really whatever he decides will be fine he has made very few wrong decisions this year.

+1 With the possible exception of his rookie coaching mistake of ordering the Saints to take a knee with over 3 minutes remaining in the game. To me that was uncalled for. No sense in humiliating your opponent especially if there's a chance you may see them again in the playoffs.

+1 With the possible exception of his rookie coaching mistake of ordering the Saints to take a knee with over 3 minutes remaining in the game. To me that was uncalled for. No sense in humiliating your opponent especially if there's a chance you may see them again in the playoffs.

I don't see it that way. I think that at the time he was thinking of not running up the score as a sign of respect for Parcells. It was the media that started the talk of humiliating the girlz. cause believe me if the Saints would have run regular plays they would hav scored and the media would be saying he humiliated Parcells by scoring again. So he did what he thought was right at the time and given it to do over again he would do the same thing IMO.

If they sit their starters they will have 3 weeks between games when the playoffs start.

The Bears proved beyond doubt in 2005 that sitting starters in week 17 prior to a bye week is a hugh error. You cannot just crank back up to playoff intensity after having three weeks off.

I don't see it that way. I think that at the time he was thinking of not running up the score as a sign of respect for Parcells. It was the media that started the talk of humiliating the girlz. cause believe me if the Saints would have run regular plays they would hav scored and the media would be saying he humiliated Parcells by scoring again. So he did what he thought was right at the time and given it to do over again he would do the same thing IMO.

Taking a knee can and is actually more humiliating than scoring with that much time on the clock. In hindsite he should of just handed the ball off to a RB up until the time they could have run out the clock by taking the knee. Really don't think anyone would have thought the Saints were running up the score if they would have run ultra conservative predictable plays and the Cowboys D allowed them to score.

The Bears proved beyond doubt in 2005 that sitting starters in week 17 prior to a bye week is a hugh error. You cannot just crank back up to playoff intensity after having three weeks off.

Obviously if your studs come out of the game without major injury that's the way to play it. However if for any reason you lose one or two of your stud players the caliber of Brees playing in a meaningless game you might never stop questioning yourself for playing them.

Obviously if your studs come out of the game without major injury that's the way to play it. However if for any reason you lose one or two of your stud players the caliber of Brees playing in a meaningless game you might never stop questioning yourself for playing them.

This weekend the Bears pulled Grossman and Jones in the second half. The wise thing to do would be the same again this weekend. However......this is the Packers and they may still have a (slim) chance of the playoffs so the Bears will bring their A game, at least until HT.

There's a balance that needs to be struck on this "sit 'em or start 'em" question. I think it's important to have your starters play the first half at least but the longer they play, the greater the risk of injury. Pulling them off when tiredness starts to become a factor is the right move.

Looks like the oddsmakers in Vegas have the Saints vs. Panthers game off the board. Saints must be seriously considering benching their starters. Can't blame them. Risking an injury in a meaningless game is not worth the positives that might be accomplished by playing them just to keep them sharp.

id still give the saints -7 without their starters. does anyone honestly think weinke can win 2 in a row? its never happened before in his career lol.

I feel he will play the first team at least a half then you will see replacements. He has stated he really doesn't know what he is going to do yet, he is studying the situation.

Yesterday he said he knew what he was going to do....silence...

Reporters asked if he would share his plans...

Payton-NO. I won't.

Payton-NO. I won't.

:D

The reporters then asked: Coach, could you ple3ase tell us the first 25 offensive play that you're going to run?

Payton: NO. I won't.

Is there a maximum IQ allowed in sports journalism school? Maybe around 50, give or take a point?

Payton-NO. I won't.

Guess his no answer is the reason why the game is off the board. Got to think if Payton has any sense he'll sit them as much as possible. Really can see the huge benefit of playing a Deuce even for a series or two and risking injury. Payton knows it makes absolutely no difference if his team finishes 11-5 or 10-6 they still earn a playoff bye. Granted no one likes to lose the last game of the season prior to the playoffs, however it sure does beat playing the most important game of the season without one of your studs.

Going to be interesting to see. The part of me that is a Saints fan tells me he should bench them while the part of me that is a NFL fan tells me he should play them. Make no mistake about it, the NFL top brass wants to see the Saints put the most competitive team on the field as do the other playoff hopeful teams.

Guess his no answer is the reason why the game is off the board. Got to think if Payton has any sense he'll sit them as much as possible. Really can see the huge benefit of playing a Deuce even for a series or two and risking injury. Payton knows it makes absolutely no difference if his team finishes 11-5 or 10-6 they still earn a playoff bye. Granted no one likes to lose the last game of the season prior to the playoffs, however it sure does beat playing the most important game of the season without one of your studs.

Going to be interesting to see. The part of me that is a Saints fan tells me he should bench them while the part of me that is a NFL fan tells me he should play them. Make no mistake about it, the NFL top brass wants to see the Saints put the most competitive team on the field as do the other playoff hopeful teams.

He may let on in the next couple of days. His concern should be to make sure his players aren't rusty when they do play. We all remember Indy and the Bears last year.

Reporters are probably looking for leaks now.

Story from yesterday

“My concern is New Orleans,” Payton said. “Everything we do from here to that first playoff game is going to be to give our team the best chance to win. I think playing well this week is important. At the same time, we just have to look over and make sure we do the right things leading up to that first game.”

He may let on in the next couple of days. His concern should be to make sure his players aren't rusty when they do play. We all remember Indy and the Bears last year.

Reporters are probably looking for leaks now.

Story from yesterday

“My concern is New Orleans,” Payton said. “Everything we do from here to that first playoff game is going to be to give our team the best chance to win. I think playing well this week is important. At the same time, we just have to look over and make sure we do the right things leading up to that first game.”

To me what happen to the Colts and Bears would not influence my decision as much as the possibility of Manning/Brees getting hurt just prior to the playoffs in a game that had no meaning. IMO entering the playoffs healthy is more important than attempting to stay sharp in 2 or 3 offensive series.

Geaux Saints!

To me what happen to the Colts and Bears would not influence my decision as much as the possibility of Manning/Brees getting hurt just prior to the playoffs in a game that had no meaning. IMO entering the playoffs healthy is more important than attempting to stay sharp in 2 or 3 offensive series.

Geaux Saints!

Good point. Brees did get hurt last year.

Well, for my two cents, I would be much more worried about my team coming out as flat as a pancake after 3 weeks of not playing in anger while the team we would be playing would have been fighting for their playoff lives for most likely at least 2 weeks now (which I fully would expect to happen when players don't get serious contact for 3 weeks) than I would about getting a stud injured playing 2-4 series.

If I'm that worried about injuries, what am I going to do - lock my players in rubber rooms for 2 weeks so they don't get hurt somehow in their normal lives, too? I'm sure as hell not going to get beat because my team lacks game conditioning, and about 2 weeks of lack of game contact is about all I'd be comfortable allowing.

Well, for my two cents, I would be much more worried about my team coming out as flat as a pancake after 3 weeks of not playing in anger while the team we would be playing would have been fighting for their playoff lives for most likely at least 2 weeks now (which I fully would expect to happen when players don't get serious contact for 3 weeks) than I would about getting a stud injured playing 2-4 series.

If I'm that worried about injuries, what am I going to do - lock my players in rubber rooms for 2 weeks so they don't get hurt somehow in their normal lives, too? I'm sure as hell not going to get beat because my team lacks game conditioning, and about 2 weeks of lack of game contact is about all I'd be comfortable allowing.

Exactly.