[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surgery ruled out for Adrian Peterson

CaP'N GRuNGe

Surgery ruled out for Peterson

Wednesday, May 16th, 2007 by Kevin Seifert

The Vikings announced today that rookie RB Adrian Peterson will not need surgery to complete the healing process of his fractured left collarbone. Dr. Joel Boyd, the team’s new orthopedic doctor, said in a meeting with reporters that Peterson will be ready for full contact when training camp begins in July.

Team officials made the final decision Tuesday after another round of tests showed that Peterson’s collarbone is healing satisfactorily on its own. Had he been forced to undergo surgery, Peterson would have needed 3-6 months to recover, Boyd said.

“It was felt that now it would be best to let it heal and progress in a natural way,” Boyd said. ”The healing shows enough progression that, at this point in time, we are not overly concerned that it’s not going to heal in a normal way.”

Peterson originally suffered the injury Oct. 14 and re-fractured it Jan. 1 in the Fiesta Bowl, Vikings athletic trainer Eric Sugarman said. Some of the pre-draft concern about the injury arose because teams initially did not know about the second injury. Once Peterson acknowledged he had been injured in the Fiesta Bowl, the Vikings’ concern abated.

Peterson, who began participating today in the Vikings’ offseason strength and conditioning program, has said all along that he did not believe he needed surgery.

“I haven’t had any pain in it,” Peterson said, “so it seemed like everything was normal. But this was good news.”

Peterson likely will wear a custom-made clavicle protector under his shoulder pads, a device that coach Brad Childress equated to an orthodic insert for shoes.

Look for more details throughout the day on StarTribune.com and in the morning paper.

Isn't Charles Rogers out of the league?

I feel the exact same way. There's no doubt that the guy has immense talent, however, I fear that he will be injury-prone, especially with the clavicle weakness, which defenses with hone in on.

I feel the exact same way. There's no doubt that the guy has immense talent, however, I fear that he will be injury-prone, especially with the clavicle weakness, which defenses with hone in on.

Well he sure hasn't proved he is not injury prone. I think the kid has the potential to be great as long as he can stay on the field.