[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question on "Running up he score"

Caveman_Nick

You're making the mistake of equating running up the score with scoring a lot of points. If the Colts, particularly Manning, keep throwing the ball up by 40 with 1 quarter to play, I'll think it's pretty classless as well. If Manning runs a QB sneak on 4th down up by 40 in the 4th, I'll think it's classless and stupid.

without a doubt. nick, do you seriously think that anyone who finds it in poor sportsmanship to go for it on 4th down up 6 scores in the 4th quarter twice, once with a deep pass, must just hate the patriots? everyone is just jealous, right? :D

wow. i am starting to believe that ALL pats fans have caught the ugly :D tuna virus.

without a doubt. nick, do you seriously think that anyone who finds it in poor sportsmanship to go for it on 4th down up 6 scores in the 4th quarter twice, once with a deep pass, must just hate the patriots? everyone is just jealous, right? :D

wow. i am starting to believe that ALL pats fans have caught the ugly :wacko: tuna virus.

:D

Er.....I maintain that nobody should be jealous of Matt Cassel to Jabbar Gaffney. Unless perhaps they are a Falcons fan. Otherwise, they shuold just play defense.

wow. i am starting to believe that ALL pats fans have caught the ugly :D tuna virus.

They are distancing themselves from the "Most obnoxious fans" field by a wide margin.

It'll be fun watching them whine about how the refs cheated them when they don't get to the SB this year.

Edited by Bronco Billy

In an age when athletes "take plays off", or just never give their all for all the ridiculous money they make....

I find it curious that we continue to have this debate about a team that plays for 60 minutes.

One question to add via EDIT: does everyone who has a problem with the Pats also think their defense is classless for not letting the other team score easily near the end of the game? If you are saying the offense should ease up, are you equally as disturbed that the defense continues to defend passes, rush the QB, etc?

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

You're making the mistake of equating running up the score with scoring a lot of points. If the Colts, particularly Manning, keep throwing the ball up by 40 with 1 quarter to play, I'll think it's pretty classless as well. If Manning runs a QB sneak on 4th down up by 40 in the 4th, I'll think it's classless and stupid.

And you (and many others) are making the mistake of confusing a team not using a power running game, but instead throwing lots of short passes in substitution, for running up the score.

2-7-NE15 (1:21) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to R.Moss ran ob at NE 21 for 6 yards.

1-10-NE23 (:05) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to M.Rivers.

2-10-NE23 (:02) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to J.Gaffney to NE 44 for 21 yards (L.Landry).

2-20-NE13 (15:00) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to W.Welker to NE 24 for 11 yards (K.Campbell).

3-9-NE24 (14:17) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to D.Stallworth to NE 39 for 15 yards (L.Fletcher).

1-10-NE49 (12:50) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep right to R.Moss pushed ob at WAS 16 for 35 yards (S.Springs).

2-2-WAS8 (11:44) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short right to D.Stallworth.

I already talked about that drive being 7 runs and 7 passes. To break it down further, 6 of the 7 passes thrown were dink and dunk passes.

For anyone that has watchd a significant number of Pats games over the years, they use this interchangably with their running game. Zoo on them for tossing one deep ball if you want, I guess. The rest of the throws might as well have been runs, because that's how the team uses them. That's why they put together an 8 minute drive. WR screen and quick slant route into the middle of the field and the short flats.

In any case.....

:D This thread is not about the NE/WAS game. It's about where people will be drawing this "line in the sand" when it comes to the Pats-Colts game.

Here's a specific number - 25 points. If my team is up 25 points (a.k.a. more than 3 posessions) going into the 4th quarter, it's time to bring in the subs. If the opponent cuts things to a two posession game at any time during the 4th quarter, I put 1st stringers back in and revert to the more aggressive play calling that likely got me my lead in the first place. All things being equal, it is difficult to make a blanket statement about how many points is enough, but if I was forced to make such a statement, it would look like this.

Also, there is only one explanation for Brady and the other first stringers to still be in the game in the 4th quarter - Belichick has no class or integrity. His only concern is padding the stats so he can claim to have coached the most prolific offense in NFL history. Pats fans would be livid (and some FFL owners too) if Brady was injured trying to pile on his 6th TD during garbage time. I understand if Belichick doesn't have faith in Matt Cassel, but when you're up 35+ points, you've got some margin for error. This is just another example of how classless and ego-centric Belichick is. Having said that, what a DREAM situation this is for Brady owners, knowing that he'll never get yanked in a blowout win so he can keep piling up numbers no matter what. Brady is, without question, untradeable right now.

His only concern is padding the stats so he can claim to have coached the most prolific offense in NFL history.

I do love how so many people can claim to know what's going on in Bill Belichick's mind. This is but one example.

In an age when athletes "take plays off", or just never give their all for all the ridiculous money they make....

I find it curious that we continue to have this debate about a team that plays for 60 minutes.

One question to add via EDIT: does everyone who has a problem with the Pats also think their defense is classless for not letting the other team score easily near the end of the game? If you are saying the offense should ease up, are you equally as disturbed that the defense continues to defend passes, rush the QB, etc?

I have a problem with leaving first string players in when the outcome of the game has already been decided. You are risking injury to those players for no reason. Further, many people consider it classless to continue to play first string players and call aggressive plays when the game is no longer in doubt in the 4th quarter. The first of these points can't be counter-argued. The second of these points is subjective. The risk of injury alone makes it senseless to run up the score (but apparently some coaches have their own agendas in mind when they make decisions).