[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rose Bowl

theeohiostate

Professor if you looking to redeem yourself from yesterday I suggest you use that google thing I showed you yesterday and try to win my challenge. :D

I feel so blessed to have you follow me like you do. Keep following. I'm certain that even you :wacko: can learn from the Professor.

Hey, and thanks so much for showing me that google thing. I went back there today and I noticed something for the second day in a row..... Did you know that LSU built their record by scheduling such powerhouses as Middle Tennessee St., Tulane and Louisiana Tech? :D

Class is in session .... in fact you could use a class on "Class". :D

Follow me .................... :D

Georgia vs. USC now that would have been a great Rose Bowl.

Thanks alot Big 10. :D

As much as you like to think you're witty and entertaining, you're not....it's actually boring, like a circus pony going round and round while the little kids get a ride--I'll just assume your craps are smaller but more pungent.

However, being an alum of Illinois, I agree with you here.

Well, I suppose the thing that they can't sell me on is how matching up one conference's champ with another's runner up somehow maintains the tradition of the game.

I mean, the Rose Bowl mattered because the champs of two storied conferences representing two very different and distinct parts of the country would match up each year to see who was best. That's not what this year is about. Now, any given day and all that and perhaps Ill beats USC. That's not my concern. I just feel that once you did away with what the Rose Bowl is supposed to be, then there's no reason to take the next best team from one of the conferences rather than the best available team.

I understand it's their bowl and they can pick who they want, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm not asking why this happens. Well, considering that I've never been satisfied with the "it's about the money" argument since I can't imagine a play-off not making silly mad jack, I guess I am asking why.

Once again, I'll watch some of these games, but only if I can't find something better to do. I'm certainly looking forward to these games less and less each year.

I would like to see Georgia and USC in the Rose Bowl. If Ohio State goes to the championship game, could this happen?

--Jose, Pico Rivera, Calif.

It could, but only if Illinois doesn't reach the top 14 of the BCS standings (the Illini are currently 15th), because if there's a Big Ten team available, the folks in Pasadena are going to snatch it. I know that sounds strange to many of you (Why would a bowl pass on matching up two potential top-five teams in favor of a 14th-ranked, 9-3 team, right?), but you have to understand, the Rose Bowl marches to the beat of its own drum. It is far more concerned with its tradition and its parade than the rest of college football.

In fact, many people don't realize this, but the Rose Bowl is not formally part of the BCS. It has its own, independent contracts with ABC, the Big Ten and the Pac-10. So obviously, its loyalty is going to lie with its contractual partner, the Big Ten, over a team from the SEC. The much more realistic scenario is that Georgia will go to the Orange Bowl to face the ACC champion.

I do think the Rose Bowl would give some thought to taking the Bulldogs over the Illini, particularly since Georgia fans would almost certainly travel in greater numbers than Illinois', but the political ramifications are too great. The Rose Bowl is adamantly opposed to a plus-one game and has been able to count on the Big Ten and Pac-10's support of that stance. Tick off Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany at your own risk. Suddenly one of the most powerful men in college sports might start rethinking his continued loyalty to the Rose Bowl.

Stewart Mandell, SI.com

November 2007