[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SEC vs BIG 10

theeohiostate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, not sure if I'd qualify all time bowl records as "very,very small sampling"

At the end of the day, this is, of course, a pissing match with each side simply pointing to the facts that best support their claims. Now, obviously I'm inclined to think the SEC is the stronger of the two. Of course, I was raised in Pac-10 country so it's not like I'm a dyed in the wool SEC guy. None the less, head to head certainly shouldn't be discounted but it really seems to be essentially a push.

However, one could argue that overall records matter more, especially in light of the fact that, only recently have there been a ton of bowls and smaller schools gotten into the act. For a long time, it was nothing but true upper tiered schools. So, if the SEC was putting up a good record and the Big 10 was not, they were doing so essentially against the same teams. So, maybe the SEC was winning against the SWC, Big 8, Pac 10, Big 12, etc. who, in turn were beating the Big 10. It's hard to say, but unless the Big 10 flat out owns the SEC head to head, which they obviously don't, it doesn't take a homer to defer to overall records. That is, if one is hell bent on claiming conference supremacy.

Of course, if you are, you've got one side who's got evidence to support they're just as good and one side who has evidence they're better. Do you see the difference there?

Now, continue with the sort of dick waving match that you claim never to get involved in.

One could argue also, that the SEC has 12 schools while for the most part the Big 10 has had 10. That could very well be the reason the SEC has made more bowl appearances.

Edit: Arkansas and South Carolina joined the SEC in 1992 & Penn State joined the Big Xcuse in 1990.

Surprising the SEC overall bowl record would be dramatically better off without including Arkansas & South Carolina while Penn State has been a huge plus for the Big Xcuse.

South Carolina bowl record 4-9 .308

Arkansas bowl record 11-21-3 .314

Penn State 25-12-2 .641

Big Xcuse

:D

Congratulations! That response qualifies you to buy an RV and move to Florida when you are old enough to smarten up and move from rock salt on the roads land!

The way I see it, SEC fans are like that kid we all knew in elementary school that had like 12 favorite teams, so that at any given time, he could always brag that one of his teams was winning. The average Auburn fan, for example, realizes that Auburn has only been to one BCS bowl. Therefore, he becomes an SEC fan so that he can still puff out his chest if the SEC representative(s) to the BCS win their games.

That's one theory. The other theory is that by promoting the SEC as the toughest conference, the typical SEC fan has an excuse for why his team didn't, once again, make it to the NC game and has 5 losses, namely because his team plays in the toughest conference. If the SEC does well, the SEC fan thinks he can make the ridiculous claim that even though his team has 5 conference losses, that team would go undefeated in what he perceives to be one of the lesser conferences.

You can hear the chants of SEC fans in every home bowl game...............SEC..............SEC..............SEC............

.USA............SEC...............USA...................USA.........

........USA....................USA................USA :D

Edited by theeohiostate

Edit: Arkansas and South Carolina joined the SEC in 1992 & Penn State joined the Big Xcuse in 1990.

Surprising the SEC overall bowl record would be dramatically better off without including Arkansas & South Carolina while Penn State has been a huge plus for the Big Xcuse.

South Carolina bowl record 4-9 .308

Arkansas bowl record 11-21-3 .314

Penn State 25-12-2 .641

:D

TOS is flat out wrong and misses the boat on damn near everything

Maybe because your a tool and i actually have some knowlege and am not purely a bandwagon fagot

Yer a complete joke. Just go back and read yer rambling, paranoid idiotic posts over the past couple weeks - chit I know you have the time, you don't seem to do anything else.

Missing the boat?

If you would like to share any contradicting information to the main post in this thread, please do so, otherwise let the big boys continue on :D

sure- np.

Big Boys? :D I

The SEC is the best conference in football for 2007/2008

The Big 10 is the 5th best conference, just beating out the ACC for that distinction.

SEC

Pac 10

Big 12

Big East

Big 10

sure- np.

Big Boys? :D I

The SEC is the best conference in football for 2007/2008

The Big 10 is the 5th best conference, just beating out the ACC for that distinction.

SEC

Pac 10

Big 12

Big East

Big 10

As usual you have no facts to support any of your outlandish claims................more of the same, from the Huddle's bandwagon boy.

I'm pretty sure the Big 10 is winning the National Championship game....................again. While representing in 3 of 6 years. Yep, we suck and we're slow....................by the way, we've also won 14 of the last 26 H2H bowl matchups against sec .

You like to hang your hat on SC, and your an Arizona fan :D

Without SC, the Pac 10 becomes the stepping stone for WAC and MAC teams. :D

Why don't we ever hear ONE DAMN PEEP out of your mouth in support of your team? Why do you jump on Oregon, Cal, Ucla, USC, Oregon St, ASU's back from week to week ?

Why don't you ever support any of your statements with material that isn't related to the Sargain :wacko:

Really, inquireing minds want to know..............I WANT TO KNOW. What is the logic of an Arizona fan to pimp whichever Pac 10 has the hot hand from week to week. It's really the oddest thing I've ever seen, Maybe you could teach Sarge and myself this trick so we can cheer for Michigan and Texas . That would actually be the best contribution you've ever made to these forums.

wildcat=Arizona= :D

As usual you have no facts to support any of your outlandish claims................more of the same, from the Huddle's bandwagon boy.

I'm pretty sure the Big 10 is winning the National Championship game....................again. While representing in 3 of 6 years. Yep, we suck and we're slow....................by the way, we've also won 14 of the last 26 H2H bowl matchups against sec .

You like to hang your hat on SC, and your an Arizona fan :D

Without SC, the Pac 10 becomes the stepping stone for WAC and MAC teams. :D

Why don't we ever hear ONE DAMN PEEP out of your mouth in support of your team? Why do you jump on Oregon, Cal, Ucla, USC, Oregon St, ASU's back from week to week ?

Why don't you ever support any of your statements with material that isn't related to the Sargain :D

Really, inquireing minds want to know..............I WANT TO KNOW. What is the logic of an Arizona fan to pimp whichever Pac 10 has the hot hand from week to week. It's really the oddest thing I've ever seen, Maybe you could teach Sarge and myself this trick so we can cheer for Michigan and Texas . That would actually be the best contribution you've ever made to these forums.

wildcat=Arizona= :wacko:

why do I bother with you..............Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian - pimp? I like seeing the Pac 10 do well, what part of that do you not understand. AZ program is down, I want to see the other schools do well- get it?

ALL year long, college football analysts have been debating which was the tougher conference, Pac 10 or SEC - NOWHERE anywhere besides your deranged posts is the Big 10 in any conversation..................... Sagarin carries alot more weight than yer wacko claims - shall we go to Oregon/Mich or USC/Illini as proof? or USC dummying Mich last year?? total domination in the past 3 games that matter.

All you have done is drool over Michigan beating FLA - so save it dude your an idiot. I honestly felt sorry for you reading your one man running, lunatic commentary on the bowl games claiming Big 10 teams being homered in other states, on a neutral field by neutral officiating crews..... really?? this is what your analysis has come to??

then you continue on by talking about an unfair homefield advantage in the bowl games, which have been around forever, and yer solution is bowl games in domes in the midwest??? did you stop taking yer meds? I honestly don't have the words..............

adios TOS -

why do I bother with you..............Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian - pimp? I like seeing the Pac 10 do well, what part of that do you not understand. AZ program is down, I want to see the other schools do well- get it?

ALL year long, college football analysts have been debating which was the tougher conference, Pac 10 or SEC - NOWHERE anywhere besides your deranged posts is the Big 10 in any conversation..................... Sagarin carries alot more weight than yer wacko claims - shall we go to Oregon/Mich or USC/Illini as proof? or USC dummying Mich last year?? total domination in the past 3 games that matter.

All you have done is drool over Michigan beating FLA - so save it dude your an idiot. I honestly felt sorry for you reading your one man running, lunatic commentary on the bowl games claiming Big 10 teams being homered in other states, on a neutral field by neutral officiating crews..... really?? this is what your analysis has come to??

then you continue on by talking about an unfair homefield advantage in the bowl games, which have been around forever, and yer solution is bowl games in domes in the midwest??? did you stop taking yer meds? I honestly don't have the words..............

adios TOS -

Another post from wildcat.................another dodgeing of the facts................another dumb f@cking post ..............................Please bring it to everyone's attention when you have something informative to say :D Otherwise I'll do what most people have done around here and put you on ignore, which is the last thing i want to do, cause you so much fun to play with................kinda like those kitttens you hide in your closet and won't be proud of.

congrats for being being my first huddler to go on my ingore list.

this forum used to be kinda entertaining, you have shot way past Rocker, and your shtick is tired, and I honestly have zero interest in anything you post.

later

Good this you won't see this.

and then when I wore my first dressaldbabasstardarekassmdillccdickawuassuckinaerelrsidiseseidoit

congrats for being being my first huddler to go on my ingore list.

this forum used to be kinda entertaining, you have shot way past Rocker, and your shtick is tired, and I honestly have zero interest in anything you post.

later

Wildcat, you guys act like women with this ignore list crap. Who gives a crap. :D

All year long you've been pimping the pac 10, and ONCE again (for what, 6th straight year?), the only one to produce is USC. Please just stop. You ragged on the Big Ten all year long, and anyone that can analytically look at the bowl match ups, can clearly see the big ten is far from as bad as you said it was. Not saying it's better than pac 10 or sec overall, but not as bad as you think it is. The discussion here is the greatest conference of all time (I didn't say it, the SEC folks did, all year long, now they're trying to say that it's a down year) top 4 teams , will likely be 2-2. The Big Tens top 4 teams, will likely be 2-2. Now, some might scoff at that, but being that 3 of the 4 in each conference plays each other, that's pretty tough to stick your nose up at.

......top 4 teams , will likely be 2-2. The Big Tens top 4 teams, will likely be 2-2. Now, some might scoff at that, but being that 3 of the 4 in each conference plays each other, that's pretty tough to stick your nose up at.

WIth Big 10 going 2-1 H2H , while pushing their overall lead to 15-12 in Bowl games since the inception of the BCS. Not bad for a conference that has been accused of being slow and has to travel for away games each January.

All year long you've been pimping the pac 10, and ONCE again (for what, 6th straight year?), the only one to produce is USC. Please just stop. You ragged on the Big Ten all year long, and anyone that can analytically look at the bowl match ups, can clearly see the big ten is far from as bad as you said it was. Not saying it's better than pac 10 or sec overall, but not as bad as you think it is. The discussion here is the greatest conference of all time (I didn't say it, the SEC folks did, all year long, now they're trying to say that it's a down year) top 4 teams , will likely be 2-2. The Big Tens top 4 teams, will likely be 2-2. Now, some might scoff at that, but being that 3 of the 4 in each conference plays each other, that's pretty tough to stick your nose up at.

Brian, only one to produce is USC, really? last count they went 4-2 in the bowls, and without Dixon going down, OU is in the NC, and as good as anyone.

I prefer to go by the entire body of work though, and I don't all of a sudden think someone like Mich is outstanding due to 1 game. I think it speaks volumes the way Oregon and USC not just beat Mich/Ill, but dominated them like no one in the Big 10 is really even capable of to be honest.

The Big 10 has been tough over the years with solid teams thruought, for some reason I happen to think the league is down, and has too many easy outs in conference. just my opinion, but IF OSU falls on their face Monday- I think we can safely say that the Big 10 just can't compete with the elite teams- and the results will back that up. I think there is alot of pressure on OSU for the confernce as a whole.............

Can't ignore the fact that a 1L OSU is having to defend it's right to be in the NC. I don't think I am the only one doubting the strength and OOC schedule OSU played.

fwiw - I still think the SEC is better top to bottom, and I think the way the Big 12 came on- they are in the mix as well.............

I am not big on the whole cross-team comparions thing- but jeez, the way USC destroyed Ill, and wtching OSU play Ill - the difference between the 2 teams is pretty easy to see IMO.

Can't ignore the fact that a 1L OSU is having to defend it's right to be in the NC. I don't think I am the only one doubting the strength and OOC schedule OSU played.

Please provide us with ANY proof of this. The only ones defending themselves is LSU . OSU was a unanimous choice to go to the NC game by any broadcasting network or sportswriter in the country, the only part of the equation with any doubt was " Who does OSU get to play?"

LSU

Georgia

VaTech

OU

or USC

That statement there is about as bold of face a lie as could possibly be written, again another example of you just being a oil and vinegar

Brian, only one to produce is USC, really? last count they went 4-2 in the bowls, and without Dixon going down, OU is in the NC, and as good as anyone.

I prefer to go by the entire body of work though, and I don't all of a sudden think someone like Mich is outstanding due to 1 game. I think it speaks volumes the way Oregon and USC not just beat Mich/Ill, but dominated them like no one in the Big 10 is really even capable of to be honest.

The Big 10 has been tough over the years with solid teams thruought, for some reason I happen to think the league is down, and has too many easy outs in conference. just my opinion, but IF OSU falls on their face Monday- I think we can safely say that the Big 10 just can't compete with the elite teams- and the results will back that up. I think there is alot of pressure on OSU for the confernce as a whole.............

fwiw - I still think the SEC is better top to bottom, and I think the way the Big 12 came on- they are in the mix as well.............

I am not big on the whole cross-team comparions thing- but jeez, the way USC destroyed Ill, and wtching OSU play Ill - the difference between the 2 teams is pretty easy to see IMO.

In another post, I actually pretty much said USC and Oregon (if they had Dixon) were probably the most formidable, and best teams that played this year, so you're not going to find me disagreeing there. But Oregon didn't have Dixon, although beating a decent South Florida team without him is pretty imrpessive, so point to wildcat. But come on, that's 2 teams? Cal got into a shootout with a mid-major, UCLA got beat by a mid-major, ASU got completely destroyed by the 4th (or 5th depending on your point of view) best Big 12 team. Oregon State got a nice win over Maryland, but thats about the equivalent of Penn State beating Texas A & M. All of your points would be pretty valid, IF I was parading around here thumping my chest about how great the Big Ten is, but I'm not, I've simply said today, and all year long, that they aren't near as bad as you've been saying they are. I remain fully convinced, USC destroys anyone like that, with Pete Carroll having a month to prepare. There just isn't another team that would give them a game. I think a team like LSU or Ohio State actually might match up pretty well, just given the styles they play, but I don't think either of them beat them, and I'm sorry, Georgia is a nice team, and next year, have the potential to be a great team, but lets not get carried away, they beat Hawaii, and couldn't even win their own (overrated now apparently) division in the SEC.

Just a few more stats............ Since the inception of the BCS

Big 10 has made it to 15 BCS Bowl games with a record of 9-6

SEC has made it to 11 BCS Bowl games with a record of 7-4

OSU has made it to 5 BCS Bowls with a record of 4-1

LSU has made it to 3 BCS Bowls with a record of 3-0

More information to rebut the forum morans.

Just a few more stats............ Since the inception of the BCS

Big 10 has made it to 15 BCS Bowl games with a record of 9-6

SEC has made it to 11 BCS Bowl games with a record of 7-4

OSU has made it to 5 BCS Bowls with a record of 4-1

LSU has made it to 3 BCS Bowls with a record of 3-0

More information to rebut the forum morans.

Not exactly sure how this is a ringing endorsement of the Big 10.

9-6 = .600, 7-4 = .636. Now I don't need to illustrate how 3-0 is a better % than 4-1, do I? so, if your point is that the Big 10 is almost as good. Point taken.

Thing is, for those of us who argue that the SEC is deeper and more competitive than the Big 10, the fact that the Big 10 has been to more BCS games plays right into our hands. That is, if your conference isn't deep, it's easy for two teams to rise to the top with really pretty records and make BCS games. Take last year. OSU and Michigan lose one game between the two of them by feasting on the Big 10 and a soft OOC only to prove that they didn't really deserve the accolades after all.

Not exactly sure how this is a ringing endorsement of the Big 10.

9-6 = .600, 7-4 = .636. Now I don't need to illustrate how 3-0 is a better % than 4-1, do I? so, if your point is that the Big 10 is almost as good. Point taken.

Thing is, for those of us who argue that the SEC is deeper and more competitive than the Big 10, the fact that the Big 10 has been to more BCS games plays right into our hands. That is, if your conference isn't deep, it's easy for two teams to rise to the top with really pretty records and make BCS games. Take last year. OSU and Michigan lose one game between the two of them by feasting on the Big 10 and a soft OOC only to prove that they didn't really deserve the accolades after all.

Well I can't speak for him, but it looks to me that these stats certainly don't illustrate SEC dominance, as some people seem to suggest.

Think the biggest myth revealed within this thread is that TOS can count to 10. :wacko:

Hey TOS, here's another BCS stat you might want to toke on while re-adding your silly BCS stats. :D

BCS National Championship Records

SEC 3-0

Big Xcuse 1-1

Hint: TOS when you get to the number 9 remember to carry over. :D

Geez...All you guys who took a bet for more than $9 from TOS should be worried. Imagine winning then picture TOS trying to count out the cash to pay you off. :D

:D "Fear the Hat"

Edited by Rockerbraves