[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need commish help

fingfootball

I hear what you are saying Billy...and you put it in a much nicer way than CR. I mean, its one thing if the winner needs to keep the money to put food on the table, but another if he's going to blow it. Maybe the right answer is to donate 1/2 the money???

Or maybe money doesnt even need to be discussed at all. I dont know. This is a tough one. Renaming the League and trohpy after him might be the way to go. Its like, have you ever bought tickets at a 50/50 raffle for charity??? I have never been to one where the winner just doesnt give ALL of the money right back to the charity. Its sort of the same thing. The guy that takes the money is a dick. Thats how anyone that votes against giving the money to the widow will be seen.

Maybe for now, just concentrate on getting his team up and running and decide once things have calmed down a bit.

Edited by leeleebug

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be an individual decision, but not one that a person should feel like he has to simply because he's in a league with someone.

This is what I would agree with. There are a few guys in my league that I actually know but there are some I see once a year at the draft and that's it. If one of my close friends passed away I wouldn't expect everyone to donate winnings to his family just because we partake in a hobby together.

Billy, that is exactly what I was saying. Didn't know I needed to sugarcoat it for some (STL FAN - that means you).

It should be an individual decision, but not one that a person should feel like he has to simply because he's in a league with someone.

Agree here. There is no way that any one person should decide on how to handle someone elses money. It should be a vote but it also should be handled in a way that anyone who votes no should not be questioned or chastised for not giving the money to the widow. There may be good reasons for it.

I would definately donate but just because I would does not mean that someone else should.

Billy, that is exactly what I was saying. Didn't know I needed to sugarcoat it for some (STL FAN - that means you).

i will grant that you've got a point. Donating the winnings is not necessary probably and not really fair actually. Maybe everyone in the league can chip in for a donation to charity or to the widow at the end of the season in his honor.

And if you read, I said it should be a vote also. And Billy, if the money you would win in FF would bring your family out of some financial hardship, then why the HELL are you playing FF to begin with.

My issue with CR was that he said there was "no way in hell" he votes for something like that. Obviously the commish can't enact this unilaterally, but there ought to be a very public vote where you have to raise your hand and say "I vote not to donate the money."

And while I agree with BIlly that there should be a vote, that is NOT what you were saying CR, you were saying you would never agree to it or vote for it.

Call it "sugarcoating" all you want, I call it decency.

I don't think anyone who suggested that the money be given to the widow was implying some league mandate. He was asking for suggestions about what to do and many of us felt that would be a fine thing to do. Everyone, of course, should be free to do with their money as they choose. Understand, of course, that you'll be sort of outed as a bit of a dick if you're one of very few who say screw it.

If that's your problem, feeling like your hand would be forced by the mere suggestion of the commish that the money should go to the widow just one year, then too bad. If you don't know any of these guys very well, then do what you want. None the less, CR, I think the animosity shown towards you in this thread was your opposition even to the suggestion. That you would be the guy who'd feel sort of pissed that he was put in a position of either offering up his winnings or taking a stand and having everyone know that he was the one guy who wasn't willing to.

Sorry, but that sounds sort of bush. Based on your follow up maybe not. Then again, your remark about sugar coating it reminds me that you are, in fact, the same feminine cleansing product that roots for guys to get injured if it betters your fantasy team.

Wear your shoe.

I don't think anyone who suggested that the money be given to the widow was implying some league mandate. He was asking for suggestions about what to do and many of us felt that would be a fine thing to do. Everyone, of course, should be free to do with their money as they choose. Understand, of course, that you'll be sort of outed as a bit of a dick if you're one of very few who say screw it.

If that's your problem, feeling like your hand would be forced by the mere suggestion of the commish that the money should go to the widow just one year, then too bad. If you don't know any of these guys very well, then do what you want. None the less, CR, I think the animosity shown towards you in this thread was your opposition even to the suggestion. That you would be the guy who'd feel sort of pissed that he was put in a position of either offering up his winnings or taking a stand and having everyone know that he was the one guy who wasn't willing to.

Sorry, but that sounds sort of bush. Based on your follow up maybe not. Then again, your remark about sugar coating it reminds me that you are, in fact, the same feminine cleansing product that roots for guys to get injured if it betters your fantasy team.

Wear your shoe.

Wisdom :wacko:

And if you read, I said it should be a vote also. And Billy, if the money you would win in FF would bring your family out of some financial hardship, then why the HELL are you playing FF to begin with.

My issue with CR was that he said there was "no way in hell" he votes for something like that. Obviously the commish can't enact this unilaterally, but there ought to be a very public vote where you have to raise your hand and say "I vote not to donate the money."

And while I agree with BIlly that there should be a vote, that is NOT what you were saying CR, you were saying you would never agree to it or vote for it.

Oh, and what he said. Also, I completely agree with the putting food on the table deal.

Why should it be "a very public vote"?

I'm actually kinda surprised I havn't heard about more deaths or tragedies involving FF league mates. When I first joined this site, you guys were all honoring Rich (aka Aqualung) and it touched me to see so many of you express your fondness for the man. Even though we are anonymous posters, I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting a few FF adversaries over the years and I can say this, no matter how much we scream, yell, curse, razz each other on these boards, nothing prepares you for that person to person encounter. And when they are suddenly gone, I often wonder what has become of them. Did they die? Are they in a comma? Did they give up the game? There are always 4-5 guys each year I enjoy reading that just disappear without a trace and I often wonder what kind of person they really are in person.. The guys I have met couldn't be more different in real life vs. the boards. With that being said, my thoughts and prayers go out to the widow of your friend. I find it extremely admirable of you to come to the boards and ask advice. There are some very good suggestions put forth so far.....good luck to you and your league from here on out.

Wow, pretty much what I wanted to say, word for word, that and I'd like to add, if I do come up missing you'll all be sure to know as I'm sure my wife will come on here and let you all know.

Condolences to the family of this man!

Why should it be "a very public vote"?

Because if you vote no on this, I think you ought to have the stones to do so publicly and defend your decision.

Wear your shoe.

Well, if you say it, it must be true.

1. I do not root for injuries. I do hope they occur if my fantasy team is better off as a result. If that = rooting in your eyes, then no problem.

2. I would not donate several hundred dollars to the widow of a fantasy league-mate of mine who may have died midseason. Not to the guys in my league. Power to y'all if you would feel so compelled to do so in yours.

If these things make a bad guy in your eyes, ok by me. You're the one who gets POd at funeral processions. Sounds like feminine hygiene product to me.

I don't think anyone who suggested that the money be given to the widow was implying some league mandate.

Wisdom :wacko:

Ok then when are you guys saying the league should vote on? either it's a league mandate, or it's an individual choice. can't be both. seems to me like it should be up to whoever wins. in fact, I don't really see how you even have a choice. if the guy who wins didn't even know the guy who died and/or is a coldhearted a-hole, I just don't think anybody has a right to tell him, "sorry, we had a vote and decided to donate your winnings to charity". only thing you can do as a league member is tell everyone else, "this is what I am going to do with any winnings". depending on the league, the amounts, the people, etc., I would imagine most people will follow suit.

to address the original question, IMO best thing to do is either play out the season for him as commish, or find somebody else who is willing to do so, with any winnings obviously going to his widow.

sorry you have to deal with this, fing :D

Ok then when are you guys saying the league should vote on? either it's a league mandate, or it's an individual choice. can't be both. seems to me like it should be up to whoever wins. in fact, I don't really see how you even have a choice. if the guy who wins didn't even know the guy who died and/or is a coldhearted a-hole, I just don't think anybody has a right to tell him, "sorry, we had a vote and decided to donate your winnings to charity". only thing you can do as a league member is tell everyone else, "this is what I am going to do with any winnings". depending on the league, the amounts, the people, etc., I would imagine most people will follow suit.

to address the original question, IMO best thing to do is either play out the season for him as commish, or find somebody else who is willing to do so, with any winnings obviously going to his widow.

sorry you have to deal with this, fing :wacko:

Huh?

Yesterday a member of my fantasy league was killed in a car accident. I have had calls from the other members of the league about what we are going to do.

"Man, those are some guys who take their Fantasy Football seriously!"

ok, we all get both sides of the point, can we please knock it off and get back to the original post :wacko:

:D

I agree. Blame Hugh One.

One poster said that the league should give all the money to the widow and the league was really only playing for the trophy. I made the comment that this was not a wise move because a lot of people may not feel that way - myself included. Hugh took a shot at me it went downhill from there.

In a nutshell, I stand by my original post that you should not disband the league for the year. Carry it on. Refund the deceased's money to the wife. Run the guy's team as best you see fit and award the widow any winnings that he may have won. Anyone who chooses to donate on top of that - go for it.

"Man, those are some guys who take their Fantasy Football seriously!"

Honestly though - without knowing anymore than we know - they may be casual acquaintances whose only involvement with deceased was their league. Not sure what else they're supposed to ask/talk about if that is the case. They're interested in how it affects them. Doesn't strike me as unusual at all. Human nature.

I agree. Blame Hugh One.

:D I came in here and offered to run the team so fingfootball wouldn't have to run 2 teams. You decided to be the attention wh*re that you are and start with your controversial BS. Instead of saying nothing, or, god forbid, being supportive for somebody that passed away unexpectedly, you felt the need to hijack a thread once again with your moral stance, or better yet, lack thereof. But sure, blame me, I'm good with it. :wacko:

:D I came in here and offered to run the team so fingfootball wouldn't have to run 2 teams. You decided to be the attention wh*re that you are and start with your controversial BS. Instead of saying nothing, or, god forbid, being supportive for somebody that passed away unexpectedly, you felt the need to hijack a thread once again with your moral stance, or better yet, lack thereof. But sure, blame me, I'm good with it. :wacko:

and me.

Very good friend of mine was in a league based in NY that started in 2001. One of the guys in the league was in the WTC and was killed. After the obvious great shock of that event (most of them knew quite a few people that died that day) and some days passed, they decided to rename the league after him, and they donated 50% of the pot that year to his family. The money thing is definitely a decision that the league needs to make as a whole.

They now have the league, trophy and an annual golf event for him.

In general, you do what you can to move forward (I would probalby get an outsider to take over the team if possible for a few reasons), and decide as a group if money for the widow/family is in order. I sincerely doubt that right now the widow cares one way or the other, but the end of the season gesture would probably be looked at nicely.

Edited by xMRogers

Attention wh*re. That's a good one.

Did you happen to read my original post - My very first one in this thread. What part of that is not supportive? You tell me.

This thread was hijacked by you and then STL Fan when I contradicted STL by saying I wouldn't be in favor of donating league money to the widow. That was to illustrate that money is not something you can just say - "give it someone else".

You took a shot and so did STL. Do you really not see it that way? I respond to people's shots. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. But I most definitely did not start anything here.

Attention wh*re. That's a good one.

Did you happen to read my original post - My very first one in this thread. What part of that is not supportive? You tell me.

This thread was hijacked by you and then STL Fan when I contradicted STL by saying I wouldn't be in favor of donating league money to the widow. That was to illustrate that money is not something you can just say - "give it someone else".

You took a shot and so did STL. Do you really not see it that way? I respond to people's shots. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. But I most definitely did not start anything here.

I have/had no issue with your first post.

I questioned your second post, you took it personally, it spiraled from there.

Because if you vote no on this, I think you ought to have the stones to do so publicly and defend your decision.

Why would someone have to defend there decisoin on what they are going to do with one's OWN money????

If it was me I would give MY money to the widow but I do not feel the need to defend my decision to do so to anyone.