[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PFW Audibles

Randall

Feb. 8, 2009

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Gunther Cunningham

“(New Lions defensive coordinator) Gunther Cunningham is past his prime. He’s running a dinosaur “D.” The last time he got anything done, Derrick Thomas was coming off the edges. He’s a good LB coach, but he’s lost his edge as a coordinator.”

“I don’t think Dan Reeves was interviewed in San Francisco because of (the possibility of bringing back) Mike Vick. … I could see it being a factor for Jerry Jones. He has always loved athletic quarterbacks, and he sees his team as a circus act. It’s more about putting fans in the seats and entertainment value than it is about championships. That’s what drove (Bill) Parcells out of there. He knew he had gone as far as he could — he couldn’t tolerate it anymore. Poor ownership is worse than bad coaching or bad talent. It starts at the top. Why you think the Steelers have been so successful?”

“(New Panthers defensive coordinator) Ron Meeks is a great teacher. He’s not going to be running the Colts’ defense (in Carolina). John Fox is not going to be playing small ball. They will tailor the defense to their strengths, keep it simple and put their players in position to make plays — what all good coaches can do.”

“I think you’ll see the Jaguars make a complete shift in philosophy now that (GM) Gene Smith is running the show. The locker room will be corrected. The guys who find their ways into the police blotter are not going to be around much longer. There will be an emphasis on character.”

“How did the Steelers get so many penalties called in their favor? It seemed like every call that was made was against the Cardinals. (Ken) Whisenhunt threw the red flag twice to overturn bad calls and he should have thrown it again at the end of the game. They said they reviewed (Santonio Holmes’) catch but they came out way too quickly before they made the call to have seriously studied it. I thought one foot was on top of the other foot. I don’t think it was a catch.”

“Look at all the holding penalties being called on Arizona. Where were they for Pittsburgh? That offensive line gave up 49 sacks this year — don’t tell me they were not holding. They finally started calling some penalties at the end of the game against the Steelers.”

“If I were looking to hire a head coach, the last person I would want to hire is a defensive line coach. They just don’t make good head coaches. They are not cut out for it. Rod Marinelli is just one example. They are not the guys you want standing in front of your team.”

“The competitiveness of the two Super Bowl teams really stood out. They were hungry. That’s what made the game great. You had guys like Willie Parker and James Harrison — guys that were not even drafted — playing their (butts) off. … Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward — I don’ t know if there are any more competitive receivers in the league. That’s what made this game so fun to watch.”

“If I’m a fan, I’m sitting back and looking at (the hires) Randy Lerner (made) and asking, ‘What was different between this time and the last?’ You’ve got a (Bill) Belichick descendant paired with a Ravens scout. It’s the same formula. Maybe these two guys will be more on the same page. That’s one area where the Patriots have been better than anyone — there’s a marriage between the front office and the coaching staff. I think you saw the same thing in Baltimore, Miami and Atlanta. That’s why they were able to achieve so much in their first year together. Not enough is said for cohesion between the front office and the coaches. As long as I can remember, it’s been an issue in Cleveland. Maybe this time will be different.”

“How did the Steelers get so many penalties called in their favor? It seemed like every call that was made was against the Cardinals. (Ken) Whisenhunt threw the red flag twice to overturn bad calls and he should have thrown it again at the end of the game. They said they reviewed (Santonio Holmes’) catch but they came out way too quickly before they made the call to have seriously studied it. I thought one foot was on top of the other foot. I don’t think it was a catch.”

The last 2 minutes of a half is booth reviews only. The team is not allowed to challenge a play in this time.

Feb. 8, 2009

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Gunther Cunningham

“(New Lions defensive coordinator) Gunther Cunningham is past his prime. He’s running a dinosaur “D.” The last time he got anything done, Derrick Thomas was coming off the edges. He’s a good LB coach, but he’s lost his edge as a coordinator.”

“I don’t think Dan Reeves was interviewed in San Francisco because of (the possibility of bringing back) Mike Vick. … I could see it being a factor for Jerry Jones. He has always loved athletic quarterbacks, and he sees his team as a circus act. It’s more about putting fans in the seats and entertainment value than it is about championships. That’s what drove (Bill) Parcells out of there. He knew he had gone as far as he could — he couldn’t tolerate it anymore. Poor ownership is worse than bad coaching or bad talent. It starts at the top. Why you think the Steelers have been so successful?”

“(New Panthers defensive coordinator) Ron Meeks is a great teacher. He’s not going to be running the Colts’ defense (in Carolina). John Fox is not going to be playing small ball. They will tailor the defense to their strengths, keep it simple and put their players in position to make plays — what all good coaches can do.”

“I think you’ll see the Jaguars make a complete shift in philosophy now that (GM) Gene Smith is running the show. The locker room will be corrected. The guys who find their ways into the police blotter are not going to be around much longer. There will be an emphasis on character.”

“Look at all the holding penalties being called on Arizona. Where were they for Pittsburgh? That offensive line gave up 49 sacks this year — don’t tell me they were not holding. They finally started calling some penalties at the end of the game against the Steelers.”

“If I were looking to hire a head coach, the last person I would want to hire is a defensive line coach. They just don’t make good head coaches. They are not cut out for it. Rod Marinelli is just one example. They are not the guys you want standing in front of your team.”

“The competitiveness of the two Super Bowl teams really stood out. They were hungry. That’s what made the game great. You had guys like Willie Parker and James Harrison — guys that were not even drafted — playing their (butts) off. … Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward — I don’ t know if there are any more competitive receivers in the league. That’s what made this game so fun to watch.”

“If I’m a fan, I’m sitting back and looking at (the hires) Randy Lerner (made) and asking, ‘What was different between this time and the last?’ You’ve got a (Bill) Belichick descendant paired with a Ravens scout. It’s the same formula. Maybe these two guys will be more on the same page. That’s one area where the Patriots have been better than anyone — there’s a marriage between the front office and the coaching staff. I think you saw the same thing in Baltimore, Miami and Atlanta. That’s why they were able to achieve so much in their first year together. Not enough is said for cohesion between the front office and the coaches. As long as I can remember, it’s been an issue in Cleveland. Maybe this time will be different.”

Those look like quotes from this forum. :wacko:

The last 2 minutes of a half is booth reviews only. The team is not allowed to challenge a play in this time.

Yeah but if there's no penalty for the HC throwing out a challenge flag inside 2 minutes (and I'm not sure that there isn't) than maybe if Whisenhunt threw his flag it would've prompted a better look on the part of the officials?

Yeah but if there's no penalty for the HC throwing out a challenge flag inside 2 minutes (and I'm not sure that there isn't) than maybe if Whisenhunt threw his flag it would've prompted a better look on the part of the officials?

It is a 15-yard penalty for throwing a challenge flag when the coach is not allowed to (also being with out of challenges or time outs.)

It is a 15-yard penalty for throwing a challenge flag when the coach is not allowed to (also being with out of challenges or time outs.)

Thanks for the info on the penalty.

I'm not aware of the Cardinals timeout situation at the end of the game but if they had one I do believe that they still had one challenge. Now if Whisenhunt throws the challenge flag and the officials choose to penalize him, fine. But if in doing so the officials go over to him and he says,"hey, just because the guy upstairs says it's not worth a look, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it one." Maybe then the officials go over and look and overturn the play. Were the Steelers in a position where it would have been a half the distance to the endzone penalty or would they have gotten a full 15 yard penalty for Whisenhunt throwing the challenge flag inside 2 minutes?

ETA: THe Cardinals still had at least 2 timeouts left and therefore, could've challenged. If Whisenhunt throws his challenge flag and that prompts the officials on the field to take a look, it's worth the penalty as it wouldn't have been 15 yards as the Steelers were on the 6-yard line. If the play had been overturned, the Steelers would have been given the ball with the half the distance to the endzone penalty on the 3-yard line and it's 3rd and 3. If the Cards hold them, the Steelers kick the FG and who knows what happens cause the Cards would've had the ball with 35 seconds to go in the game and needing only a FG to win not a TD and if they don't get that, they go to OT.

Edited by irish