[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shawn Merriman arrested for battery

budlitebrad

So Merriman was trying to restrain his drunk ass girlfriend to keep her from driving. Give him a freaking medal. He potentially saved someone's life. He needs to drop that dumb broad.

Just for the record, I'm not convinced she's his girlfriend. A friend of a friend of a friend says they're only "acquaintances".

how about just taking the keys away instead of physically restraining someone who weighs less than half of what you do? How about getting in the driver seat if necessary while someone disconnects the battery?

Because most of the time the way things go you don't have time to think.

I knew someone whos wife would get way out of control when drunk. She would start doing something she shouldn't. Her hubby would try to talk to her down. At which point, she would start swinging at him for the fences. He would grab her wrists to restrain her. Guess what that bitch was doing next? "I am calling the cops, you when I wore my first dressing assaulted me!"

It happened way too many times with girl and I know it has happened to other guys before.

And the simple fact he weighs twice as much as her, is the best reason he should be restraining her. That is his biggest advantage, so why not use it to stop someone from potentially killing someone else? The things you mention will result in similar ways as well. Once keys are taking, she will go after him. Once battery is disconnect she will go after him. Anything he does, she will most likely start the physical contact...

Edited by PolishNorbi

Statement from Merriman

Statement from Shawne Merriman

11:04 p.m. September 6, 2009

The following statement was received via e-mail late Sunday night:

On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriffs Department responded to a citizens complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided. We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California. There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriffs Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers.

Tequila doesn't drink, she can't. She says...

Merriman said he was limited in what he could say. He kept referring to a statement issued through his attorney Sunday night.

"At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided," Merriman said in the statement. "We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety.

"I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported," the statement continued.

"It's kind of a tough situation where you think you're doing the right thing," Merriman said Monday. "I'm glad that everyone was safe at the end of the day. I don't think I will regret that part."

Asked if he threw Tequila to the ground, the 6-foot-4, 265-pound Merriman said: "No. I can't talk about any of that stuff."

Scott E. Leemon, an attorney for Tequila, didn't respond to an e-mail asking for comment on Merriman's statement.

Also Monday, the owner of a downtown club where Merriman and Tequila attended a party Saturday night said his staff told him Tequila had been drinking and it appeared Merriman had ordered only bottled water.

"I feel sorry for the guy and I think the truth needs to be told," said James Brennan, who owns Stingaree, one of the city's top hangouts for celebrities.

Brennan said he normally wouldn't comment, but felt he should after seeing Tequila's tweet in which she said she's allergic to alcohol.

"It sounds like she's allergic to the truth," Brennan told The Associated Press.

Brennan said he was not at the club Saturday night, but had spoken with every employee who dealt with Tequila and Merriman. Brennan said he was told she had shots of tequila and drank from a bottle of vodka. Brennan said Tequila requested that his brother, Shane, a manager at Stingaree, have a shot of tequila with her.

"She wasn't like falling down or anything of that nature, but she was visibly intoxicated," Brennan said.

In a tweet Sunday, Tequila said: "I am allergic to alcohol. It has been publicly known for years. That is how I got the name Tila "Tequila" cuz the irony. I cant drink."

Merriman said he met Monday morning with team president Dean Spanos and coach Norv Turner.

"They're just all supportive, hopefully that we can move on from the situation as soon as possible," Merriman said.

Merriman said he did not meet with general manager A.J. Smith.

[sarcasm] I think someone may have spiked her drink and she had an allergic reaction. Merriman appears to have been in on it the whole time. [/sarcasm]