[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers GM A.J. Smith...

Coach1310

How big of a mistake was it to get rid of Marty Schottenheimer? People all over the NFL talk about how good that roster is. I know they have dealt with injuries, but it sures looks like they are rather inept in the head coaching department..

AJ and Schotty hated each other. One of them had to go, and it was Marty. That was predestined. Norv Turner gets along with AJ, but has the charisma of a wet towel. His play-calling has been called into question, but Ron Rivera is also being second-guessed for some of his defensive schemes. When you lose in the NFL, the coaches bear the brunt of the criticism, but the line play and tackling has been awful so the roster has to be examined too. Bottom line is the backups have to perform when starters go down, and that hasn't happened.

AJ and Schotty hated each other. One of them had to go, and it was Marty. That was predestined. Norv Turner gets along with AJ, but has the charisma of a wet towel. His play-calling has been called into question, but Ron Rivera is also being second-guessed for some of his defensive schemes. When you lose in the NFL, the coaches bear the brunt of the criticism, but the line play and tackling has been awful so the roster has to be examined too. Bottom line is the backups have to perform when starters go down, and that hasn't happened.

I think it IS Turner.

Everywhere he's went as a head coach, the team takes on his personality and digress from where they were.

You mentioned tackling. Tackling is a "fundamental" and very coachable. Line play is something where you certainly need talent to start with, but schemes and technique are also coachable and success can be achieved with lesser talent.

Bottom line - I do think it's Turner. I think the Chargers' window of opportunity is still open a bit, but not for long. Y'all gotta make a change next year and regroup. I've gotta think it'd be a pretty desirable job for the upper echelon guys that might be available.

The defense sucks. Injuries have killed this team's chances again this year. One or two and you can say, "The backups need to step up"' No team loses what they have and wins. The offense can't score if they don't have the ball. The D cannot get off the field.

Where I blame AJ is not being more aggressive in the FA market to plug some spots on the D-line. EVERY Charger fan, admit it or not, knew that this was going to happen if Jamal went down. And then add to that his adequate backup of Bingham and now you aree using scrubs at the most important position of a 3-4. They don't have enough linemen to go to a 4-3, which is needed also because the linebackers are all hurting.

This season could pretty much be over if they don't pull a rabbit out of their collective asses. They may be soft, unlucky, whatever. But the same "injury bug" seems to bite this team year after year. Not whining, just observing, it is part of the game :D:D

GO TEXANS :D:2cents::D:wacko:

Where I blame AJ is not being more aggressive in the FA market to plug some spots on the D-line. EVERY Charger fan, admit it or not, knew that this was going to happen if Jamal went down. And then add to that his adequate backup of Bingham and now you aree using scrubs at the most important position of a 3-4. They don't have enough linemen to go to a 4-3, which is needed also because the linebackers are all hurting.

That's easier said than done. It seems like half the teams in the league need D-line help and guys are dropping like flies (two more went down this week in Jenkins for the Jets and Odom (is he a DL or OLB?) for Cinci). Here in Carolina, they lost a good but not great starter at DT in camp and have been out picking up shmoes off the street ever since, watching them get hurt as well and now it seems like anybody 300lbs could walk in and sign a contract with them tomorrow.

It's ugly. And it's ugly in a lot of places.

I'm not as plugged in as most of you are on the specifics in San Diego, but I don't think you can give AJ a pass on the Marty situation. Yeah, they hated each other, but AJ's job is to do what is best for the team and Marty's job was to coach up the players that AJ gave him. AJ's failure to make that relationship work, cost the Chargers a serious chance at a title. Yeah, they have battled injuries, but all teams do and I can't argue they haven't been able to put their best product on the field, but like has been mentioned some fundamental aspects are sorely lacking and that comes down to coaching and the reason they are stuck with those coaches is because AJ hired them.

for the most part i back AJ Smith. he's brought in much of the talent we have....along with John Butler.

i do fault him for not being prepared to replace Jamal Williams. yes McBoog, i was aware of this inevitablilty.

i was not against letting Marty go. he's too conservative in the big games. we'd have never gotten to the SB with. i believe that. he was an excellent regular season coach though.

that being said, Norv cannot continue as coach i believe. he does not get this team ready to go out of the gate. every year we start in a hole. and that hole keeps getting deeper.

AJ needs to address our lines and hopefully someone like Shanahan can be brought in next year. and by the offseason we'll probably lose Merriman. i don't think we'll pay him what some other team will.

Edited by rebdog

for the most part i back AJ Smith. he's brought in much of the talent we have....along with John Butler.

i do fault him for not being prepared to replace Jamal Williams. yes McBoog, i was aware of this inevitablilty.

i was not against letting Marty go. he's too conservative in the big games. we'd have never gotten to the SB with. i believe that. he was an excellent regular season coach though.

that being said, Norv cannot continue as coach i believe. he does not get this team ready to go out of the gate. every year we start in a hole. and that hole keeps getting deeper.

AJ needs to address our lines and hopefully someone like Shanahan can be brought in next year. and by the offseason we'll probably lose Merriman. i don't think we'll pay him what some other team will.

Pretty much a +1! :wacko:

Only real Charger fans know that Marty was trying to sabotage the situation in San Diego to get himself fired more than management not wanting to work with him. If he is such a football God, why is he not back, coaching somewhere else already?

My pick, all along, was Coach Ryan Jr. I am still pissed they didn't grab him when they had a shot!

Personally, I'm hoping Jeff F gets fired in Tn and AJ has the smarts to hire him.

I was talking to some of my buddies tonight, and that possibility came up. The coaching carousel in the NFL just seems to go round and round.

I was talking to some of my buddies tonight, and that possibility came up. The coaching carousel in the NFL just seems to go round and round.

Sorry..not on the AJ bandwagon. Sure, he's drafted/traded for great talent. But his ego has gotten into the way of gathering a coaching staff that can COACH!! Whoever it may be next year, cause I am PRAYING its not Turner, I'm sure it will be a "Yes Sir" blowhard that will only lead us down the path of disappointment....again.

ETA: Chargers...I know of who you speak when talking about Rivera being publicly criticized by players. I think the dude needs to stop making 3 personal fouls in a game before he blames the defensive philosophy. Just saying.

Edited by tazinib1