[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rules you wish you could get your league(s) to adopt

Thews40

PPR goes without saying as it’s the norm now, and if you’re still TD only you probably own a black and white TV. Changing league rules is difficult and you usually have to put it on the block the year before to have it be considered for the next year. My favorite non-standard rules:

1) Defensive scoring. 1 point for 0 to 20 points given up, and -1 point for points given up over 25. Example: your defense gives up 14 points = 6. If they give up 35 it’s -10. This makes sense from a fantasy football perspective, because in the real NFL if your D holds the other team to 7 points you have good chance of winning. If your D gives up 35, you have a good chance of losing.

2) Payout = highest points. The real objective in fantasy football is to score points. If you get luck and beat the low score of the week with the second lowest score (we’ve all been there), luck was the reason for the W. Conversely, if you lose with the second highest score (been there done that), lady luck dealt you a bad hand. If the money is paid to the two highest scoring teams at the end of the year (through week 17), then you can place less emphasis on the head-to-head matchups. They still count (SB winner gets about 25% of the pot), and if the playoff is set up so that everyone makes the playoffs and the top two in each division get byes for the first two games, you’ll always make the playoffs at the end of the year. I realize some will scoff at this, but how many seasons have ended before week 14 leaving nothing to really root for?

3) Safety. A safety is very rare and gives the team a hugh advantage because they not only get the two points, but get the ball back in great field position. I think a safety is worth way more than 2, and at least 6.

4) 2 point conversions. Are 2 point conversions really worth 2? I’m kinda on the fence with this one.

5) Graduated TE/WR/RB PPR scoring. TE =1, WR = 0.5 and RB =0.25. My manlove for TE’s makes this even better, but at the end of the year it balances the positions.

6) INT and Fum. Should both be -3 IMO. Giving the ball up is a bad bad thing.

7) Blocked FG and punts. Should be worth 3 to the D IMO. This is a tough one to call, since a finger that may have touched the ball could have caused the FG to be missed. What I’m talking about is when the kick is blocked and goes backwards.

8) INT for a TD the other way. Should be -4 (or -6 if a TD is worth 6) against the QB. This one can suck when the receiver flubs it and the QB gets the INT, so I can understand the argument against it.

9) Bonus points for long TD’s. 75+ yards = 6, 50+ yards = 4 and 30+ yards = 2. Most TD’s happen in the red zone and 75+ TD’s are pretty rare.

Seems like a lot, but IMO it makes the game more fun. What rules do you like that most leagues consider non-standard?

Edited by Thews40

PPR goes without saying as it’s the norm now, and if you’re still TD only you probably own a black and white TV. Changing league rules is difficult and you usually have to put it on the block the year before to have it be considered for the next year. My favorite non-standard rules:

1) Defensive scoring. 1 point for 0 to 20 points given up, and -1 point for points given up over 25. Example: your defense gives up 14 points = 6. If they give up 35 it’s -10. This makes sense from a fantasy football perspective, because in the real NFL if your D holds the other team to 7 points you have good chance of winning. If your D gives up 35, you have a good chance of losing.

2) Payout = highest points. The real objective in fantasy football is to score points. If you get luck and beat the low score of the week with the second lowest score (we’ve all been there), luck was the reason for the W. Conversely, if you lose with the second highest score (been there done that), lady luck dealt you a bad hand. If the money is paid to the two highest scoring teams at the end of the year (through week 17), then you can place less emphasis on the head-to-head matchups. They still count (SB winner gets about 25% of the pot), and if the playoff is set up so that everyone makes the playoffs and the top two in each division get byes for the first two games, you’ll always make the playoffs at the end of the year. I realize some will scoff at this, but how many seasons have ended before week 14 leaving nothing to really root for?

3) Safety. A safety is very rare and gives the team a hugh advantage because they not only get the two points, but get the ball back in great field position. I think a safety is worth way more than 2, and at least 6.

4) 2 point conversions. Are 2 point conversions really worth 2? I’m kinda on the fence with this one.

5) Graduated TE/WR/RB PPR scoring. TE =1, WR = 0.5 and RB =0.25. My manlove for TE’s makes this even better, but at the end of the year it balances the positions.

6) INT and Fum. Should both be -3 IMO. Giving the ball up is a bad bad thing.

7) Blocked FG and punts. Should be worth 3 to the D IMO. This is a tough one to call, since a finger that may have touched the ball could have caused the FG to be missed. What I’m talking about is when the kick is blocked and goes backwards.

8) INT for a TD the other way. Should be -4 (or -6 if a TD is worth 6) against the QB. This one can suck when the receiver flubs it and the QB gets the INT, so I can understand the argument against it.

9) Bonus points for long TD’s. 75+ yards = 6, 50+ yards = 4 and 30+ yards = 2. Most TD’s happen in the red zone and 75+ TD’s are pretty rare.

Seems like a lot, but IMO it makes the game more fun. What rules do you like that most leagues consider non-standard?

Hmmmm...I'm guessing you've been burned by each and everyone of these rules at one time or another. But that still doesn't mean they are good rules. They seem more self-serving than anything.

Gotta' go now because I need to hook into my non-PPR league from my 50" Samsung Plasma TV and check my lineup.

Edited by tosberg34

Hmmmm...I'm guessing you've been burned by each and everyone of these rules at one time or another. But that still doesn't mean they are good rules. They seem more self-serving than anything.

Gotta' go now because I need to hook into my non-PPR league from my 50" Samsung Plasma TV and check my lineup.

:wacko:

My favorite is points for punt return yards to the Defense/Special teams ...do 1 pt for every 25 yds, D/ST deserves this because it represents field position ...

#1 Yes, as long as those are points against the defense scored by the opposing offense.

#2 meh

#3 yes, we score safeties as 3 points in my homer league, 2 for the safety and one for the kickoff/field position

#4 yes they are worth 2 b/c an xtra point is worth 1

#5 no to TEs getting more points than WRs, not in today's style of football

#6 tuff call here, b/c it is only worth field position points, maybe more if the offense then scores of the turnover

#7 blocks, see interceptions

#8 I like this idea

#9 We do a 1 pt bonus for TDs over 50 yds, once the RB/WR is behind the safeties he could go for 200 yards, so just one point

1) Yeah although we do it differently

2) We have a payout for season high points but only a modest chunk of the $. The objective is to win games and IMO luck tends to balance out in the end

3) Agree 100%, we do this. Safety = 2 pts is stupid IMO

4) Yes

5) No thx, too busy

6) That goes a bit far IMO....-1 (what we do) or -2 is plenty

7) We give 6 for same reason we give safeties 6 - they're hard to get

8) Too busy - all TDs are 6

9) Too busy

We also give a point for home game which I know many don't.

I'd like our league go to an all play head to head format. For instance, in our league, we have 12 teams. So you could go 11-0, 0-11, or somewhere in between.

To me, this gives a truer indication of where you stack up each week. I haven't gotten anywhere with it, but that's the change I'd like to see made.

When scoring manually, my home league had double points for a kick that gave his team the lead with < 2 minutes reamaing, or in O/T, and it was the last score of the game, therefore 6 or 10 points. This is a TD only league, so less points. When it moved to MFL, that was the only rule we couldn't replicate.

I've always wanted to employ these keeper rules.

You can keep any player on your roster by using the draft pick two rounds earlier than they were originally drafted. No keepers can be kept in the first 3 rounds. If you picked up Miles Austin last year in the 16th round, he would be kept with a 14th round pick this year. The pick would move up two rounds every year until he reached one of the first three rounds. This keeps the top talent spread around at the top, but gives value for late round finds for years to come. Most keepers now keep the top talent, this would totally flip the entire concept around.

Change WR3 lineup spot to Flex (RB/WR/TE).

Our league is a 14-team league and pickins for WR3 can get especially slim when bye weeks, injuries, etc. are factored in.

same here...but in a 12 team league (it failed to pass by one vote this year)

I'd like our league go to an all play head to head format. For instance, in our league, we have 12 teams. So you could go 11-0, 0-11, or somewhere in between.

To me, this gives a truer indication of where you stack up each week. I haven't gotten anywhere with it, but that's the change I'd like to see made.

Doesn't this essentially take the "head-to-head" out of the league and basically make it a total-points league?

I like this idea.