[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League

benyak007

I'm in the very first year of a 12 team PPR keeper league. Some of the owners are already making serious moves and trading draft picks (including contenders). I think that I have one of the stronger teams in the league so I don't want to make any drastic changes, but it seems like I am missing out. I've made some inquiries and talked about offers but that's about it. Any experienced keeper league players have particular strategies or ideas for successfully managing a keeper league team? Should I try and acquire draft picks or stand pat and wait and see how the first year works out?

ok I have never played in a keeper league but I got a question for you.

In keeper leagues that keep like 5+ players, getting a first round draft pick isn't really all that great as in a non keeper league its like a 6th round pick. Am I missing something here about getting picks in a keeper league? Well you can sometimes pick up the odd dark horse in the 5th round there won't be any studs left usually, so I just don't see the value.

Can you explain it to me?

Depends on keeper league rules, etc., number of keepers, cost of keepers etc., but particularly in non-dynasty leagues, it comes down to playing the fun game of just how much to mortgage the future to make a play at the current year title. Remember that you don't get paid to build for the future over and over, at some point you have to play for the now to win some money.

In dynasty leagues, rebuilds are a lot more challenging, but a lot more fun in my opinion. I'm in a BOTH league where I took over a relatively weak team two years ago, figured it would take me 3 years to rebuild, and while I still have some glaring holes, after the first 3 weeks, I do have the highest scoring team in the league, albeit also the team with by far the most points against. I think I can use this season and the next offseason to shore up some of those holes.

What is the difference betwee dynasty and keeper exactly?

Do you think that if your team has a shot to win this year, to save the draft picks for later in the season to upgrade? We only get 3 keepers and you can't keep anybody drafted in the first two rounds (unless they are traded or dropped of course). I guess I really don't know how it will work once we get to that point. Is there generally a feeding frenzy with trades getting vetoed and lobbied all over the place? That is already happening in my league so I can imagine that it will only get worse.

What is the difference betwee dynasty and keeper exactly?

Do you think that if your team has a shot to win this year, to save the draft picks for later in the season to upgrade? We only get 3 keepers and you can't keep anybody drafted in the first two rounds (unless they are traded or dropped of course). I guess I really don't know how it will work once we get to that point. Is there generally a feeding frenzy with trades getting vetoed and lobbied all over the place? That is already happening in my league so I can imagine that it will only get worse.

As BJ noted, a dynasty is essentially a keep the entire roster setup, though varying options such as contracts and salaries can have an affect on this.

Anything that is not a dynasty is a keeper.

With only 3 keepers and no players from the first 2 rounds being kept, I would approach your league as essentially a redraft league. I would not be very inclined to give up any relatively early picks, but, assuming I were in a place that I felt I had a legit shot at winning the whole thing, I would deal youth that can be kept for a more immediate contributor that I may not be able to keep. For example, you may have someone that you drafted in the 6th or 7th round that is contributing decently and would make a real nice keeper, but given that you are looking to play for it all in the current year, would look at deals for teams that are essentially out of it where you could acquire a true stud that perhaps is not eligible to be kept in a straight up trade. It is a smart deal for both teams. You, as the team playing for now, get a player that will contribute for you immediately and hopefully push you towards the title while the other owner, who is looking to the next year, gets an improved keeper which should result in a better team the next year.

My biggest concern is that you mentined trades getting vetoed.... if that is common in your league, I would be looking for a new league very quickly. In dynasty and keeper leagues, particularly partial keepers with restrictions such as yours, player values are very different than in redrafts. A Chris Johnson that can;t be kept has almost no value to a team in last place and out of the playoffs, so a very equitable trade could well be his Chris Johnson for say an Jahvid Best or even an Austin Collie type that can be kept.