[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Philly Snow Game

redrumjuice

Snow Game  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Was postponing the game a good idea?

• YES! There was SNOW, someone might get COLD. :(
    • No.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being from the north, I've never gone to a snow game. I imagine that, in some cases they could be fun as hell. Just like snow can either be fun as hell or a total freaking nightmare. The storm that hit Philly seems to more resemble the "nightmare" description than the "fun as hell" version.

They are great. Watching the teams adjust to the weather, the atmosphere in the stands....they are a ton of fun.

had this been an instance where they were calling for a normal 4-8 inches of snow, the game would have gone on as scheduled. They forecast a blizzard. Some momos can't get their heads around that idea. A blizzard.

You are completely 110% right....its not fun, and deathly dangerous for drivers.

Fair enough. I'm from the South, so all I know is that an inch of snow is usually enough to shut things down around here. From what I've read, I have to assume that Philly falls somewhere in the middle of our 2 situations, to where they're not as equipped or ready to handle a 12-inch blizzard all at once.

incorrect.

Oh, and a blizzard is'nt the same as a hurricane. :wacko:

Why does the poll show 20 yes and 40 no?

When you squat to pee, do you let your husband watch?

Let's compare arguments here.

Arguments to have the game as scheduled:

1. The forum poll is in favor of not delaying the game.

2. Ed Rendell, governor of Pennsylvania, called the people who won’t brave a couple inches of snow to attend an Eagles-Vikings football game a bunch of wussies. He also said it was a joke that the NFL cancelled the game on Sunday.

3. PA is well equipped to deal with snow weather.

4. The NFL Championship game was played at Philadelphia's Shibe Park on December 19, 1948 during a blizzard, so there is a precedent for it.

Argument to post pone the game

The only counter argument is that another NFL game was cancelled due to the threat of a hurricane. A hurricane is a system with sustained winds of at least 74 miles per hour. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 35 mph, so the wind factor alone is significantly less. Additionally, blizzards must reduce visibility to 400 metres (1,300 ft) or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more. Hurricanes and blizzards are comparable in the fact that both could be considered dangerous weather, but it does seem that the higher wind speeds could make a hurricane appear much more significant of an event, although it's all relative if you can get killed or injured either way.

My thoughts

The decision to postpone the game has received lots of criticism. According to the Eagles, the decision has been well received, but we don't have any way to measure that. The only argument that I can see for postponing the game is that one may not be able to see the game if there was a blizzard, as it can bring near-whiteout conditions, which restrict visibility to near zero. It does seem like a waste of money and time, if you can't see the game.

incorrect.

Oh, and a blizzard is'nt the same as a hurricane. :wacko:

Thanks Bill Nye!

I understand that it a hurricane is more severe and destructive. What people don't seem to realize is that having 10s of thousands driving in unprecedented whiteout blizzard conditions at roughly the same time could be comparable to the risk of not evacuating for a hurricane. You may be just fine, but you may end up in a deadly pileup, even if you know what you're doing. You might not even be able to see... Have you ever seen a pileup when someone makes a wrong move in heavy traffic? Trust me, you don't want to...

I suspect some of you might feel differently if you've had loved ones in a serious car wreck or been in one yourself. This isn't wussification, it's using good judgement on the worst day possible to be on the roads in Philly.

Thanks Bill Nye!

:wacko:

My blizzard/hurricane comment was'nt directed at you.

People in this part of the country can handle winter weather. I have seen pileups; I've lived here all my life. There are 100 times more pileups in 1 or 2 inches of snow than there are in a big storm. People fly when it's snowed an inch or 2 because they're idiiots and they think their suv/ tractor trailer will handle it. People crawl on the roads in a big storm.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

QUOTE (delusions of granduer @ 12/28/10 11:58am)

Fair enough. I'm from the South, so all I know is that an inch of snow is usually enough to shut things down around here. From what I've read, I have to assume that Philly falls somewhere in the middle of our 2 situations, to where they're not as equipped or ready to handle a 12-inch blizzard all at once.

incorrect.

Oh, and a blizzard is'nt the same as a hurricane.

While Philly should be able to handle a decent sized snowfall, whether due to lack of funds or other reasons, it seems that Philly is invariably ill equipped to deal with large snowstorms when compared with other Pennsylvania cities. Accumulations that would be cleared within a day in most parts of the state will linger for a couple of days in some parts of the City. Thumbs up their Redrumjuices. But it would have been an experience to go to a blizzard game though!

Just a little non-scientific data to add to the hurricane v blizzard debate.

My chef's family is in town from Bristol, CT and they were having dinner with us tonight. I went out to chat with his father and we were discussing the weather up there. First thing he said:

"It was like a frozen hurricane!"

Just sayin' :wacko:

Just a little non-scientific data to add to the hurricane v blizzard debate.

My chef's family is in town from Bristol, CT and they were having dinner with us tonight. I went out to chat with his father and we were discussing the weather up there. First thing he said:

"It was like a frozen hurricane!"

Just sayin' :tup:

That would make a kickass name for a mixed drink! Or a FF team! :wacko:

Wow, did you see those shots of Philly from Sunday night during the game? Did you see that shot where they said, "this is what the field would have looked like" and the field was barely covered? I saw clear streets and plenty of visibility. Maybe they lied and used stock footage?

Maybe the Eagles wanted a clear field and no wind to fight for a Top seed and a bye? :wacko:

Talk about slippery slope.

Wow, did you see those shots of Philly from Sunday night during the game? Did you see that shot where they said, "this is what the field would have looked like" and the field was barely covered? I saw clear streets and plenty of visibility. Maybe they lied and used stock footage?

Maybe the Eagles wanted a clear field and no wind to fight for a Top seed and a bye? :wacko:

This is an interesting perspective. :tup:

:tup:

I guess you missed the footage of the heat tarp they placed on the field during the storm, and the machinery that was sweeping it off the tarp constantly. I guess you also missed the graphic (answering Kegs earlier question) of how much snow fell in total and how much during the game:

12.5 inches total, 7+ inches from 7-11PM.

Here was the forecast from 12:40PM Sunday via Accuweather for them to make their decision on what to do

But keep up with your conspiracy theory....the Mayor, the NFL, NBC and the Eagles all conspiring to move the game to Tuesday...thats rich :lol:

I guess you missed the footage of the heat tarp they placed on the field during the storm, and the machinery that was sweeping it off the tarp constantly.

How could I see it? There was a blizzard with zero visibility? :wacko:

Also, with this DEADLY BLIZZARD HURRICANE with an AMAZING, unprecedented twelve INCHES of snow, I am searching for pics of the piles of bodies from this brutal event... they are doing a good job of hiding them though. Can you help me?

Nothing. :tup:http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...6c676e6ca915cda

Also, with this DEADLY BLIZZARD HURRICANE with an AMAZING, unprecedented twelve INCHES of snow, I am searching for pics of the piles of bodies from this brutal event... they are doing a good job of hiding them though. Can you help me?

Nothing. :tup:http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...6c676e6ca915cda

Hey red-dumb, you do realize they didn't play a game that night, hence why it wasn't such a big safety issue with most people staying in, rather than all on the road... So there weren't reports of fatalities? Great!! That's exactly why you issue a state of emergency and delay the game...

But here is a good article about over a hundered ambulances that were stuck and weren't able respond in a timely manner:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/nyregion...amp;twt=nytimes

Now would you like to find me the fatality numbers from the hurricane games they evacuated for, because I think you're going to find the same result: eliminating risks of such occurrences.

Nothing. :rofl:http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...6c676e6ca915cda

:lol:

The first link in your search has a picture of what it was like in Manhattan (which is exactly as it looked in Philly):

Snow

The story also mentions:

At least a dozen traffic fatalities in several states were attributed to the treacherous road conditions.

Philadelphia cab driver Farid Senoussaoui, 33, described the slippery driving conditions as “like a video game.”

thanks for the link, further cementing the fact they made the right decision :tup: And I am sure the families of those lost appreciate you referring to "wanting to see piles of bodies"....stay classy, reddumb.

One more read for you

From the weather.net recap:

Another foot plus storm for Philadelphia! 12.4" of snow officially fell at the Airport, marking only the second time in a Strong La Nina that Philadelphia picked up a foot of snow or more in a single event -- the other time was back in 1909. Going to bed last night, I didn't think my revised totals of 5-10 were in bad shape but thanks to the power of snow bands that developed over the city during the 10 PM hour the snow starved got their wishes, forecasters ripped out hair from their heads, and the city just kept digging out. Mother Nature (and perhaps Mayor Nutter, despite the Governor's cries for football in the snow) laugh last.

The storm is packing a wallop, wrapping up to pressures that are beginning to rival the 1993 Superstorm for intensity. Between the powerhouse low off of Cape Cod and a strong high pressure center over Minnesota, there's a tremendous wind gradient that is pushing gusty winds into the region and lead to the blizzard along the Jersey Shore. For folks in New Jersey and Metro New York, this storm likely exceeds any of the other storms from last winter and probably rivals 1996 in terms of total impact. The powerhouse storm intensified over Sunday, slowly at first but once it ingested the upper level energy that it needed to bomb it exploded last night, with heavy snow blitzing New Jersey and leading to two feet of accumulations along the Shore and in Northeast New Jersey.

Philadelphia was the beneficiary of a five hour blitz of snow that started up around 9 PM and reached its most intense during the 10-2 timeframe overnight. A band of heavy snow developed in the eastern burbs and intensified right over the city, leading to a higher amount of accumulation in Philadelphia, Lower Delaware County, and Lower Montgomery County than in parts of Lower Bucks and even Mercer Counties, who were stuck in between the Philly band and the main "epic" axis of heavy snow that pummeled the eastern half of New Jersey. Snowfall totals in the western suburbs varied as well...some locations picked up several inches while others farther west picked up only a few.

The band really took off by 10:30 and held firm through the early morning hours before falling apart, with the city getting an inch plus per hour over a four hour timeframe. By morning, our fourth foot plus storm in a year and 8 days officially fell in the city.

:wacko: yeah, that would have been genius sending 60,000 fans, players and stadium personel to their cars at 11:30

Keep digging, you're losing.

12" of snow, I might expect panic in Atlanta, or Houston. But Philly? :lol:

Anyways, a 2-1 margin in this poll agrees, you are wussies. Wear that badge with pride! :wacko:

and a 12-1 knows your a dope who got banned from a message board and is now back with a sneaky alias...but you've been wearing that badge for a long time now. :tup: