[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Pettigrew

Brentastic

It did. They had 2 totally different play books. I read that once Ried made his "dicision" to go with VIck, they rewrote several aspects of their play book because of Vick's ability to pull the safties in.

they actually commented on that and Reid said he had a completely different set of plays for when Vick came in due to their different playing styles.....I always said we should have started 2TE sets with Kolb so he could get some time and then he wouldn't have been hurt...but oh well..

true, but if you take a player like McNabb...he's always allowed the TE to produce because he prefers the big target, same goes for Peyton as well....any TE on the Colts produces and we clearly saw that with Tamme last year...

the QB's preference is as big as the system and sometimes even more important because some QB's just like going for the jugular more often....like Jay Cutler, but then you have Favre who does the same but still utilizes the TE anyways....I dunno :wacko:

That is true that the system has an effect, especially in a guy like Tamme's case where he had to step into their game-plans midseason, but it's a misconception that players adapt to the system in place... Smart coaches will adapt to fit the personnel that they have, especially in cases like this where you have a reliable pass-catcher and redzone target that WON'T be the one commanding most of the attention.

I have always viewed Hasselbeck as a QB who targets WR's rather than TE's....I can't recall a TE that dominated with Hasselbeck under the helm....but as for McNabb, Shiancoe might be a top 5 TE if healthy....

Isn't Tennessee moving Cook around though so he isn't lining up on the line constantly? Plus, outside of Britt, who is Hass going to throw to? Not to say you are wrong about Hasselbeck, but I guess we'll see if it's the system or the QB's preference that has more effect on TE production. Seems to me Cook is one of those rising athletic talent types that can become a real mismatch. Funny thing is I don't own Cook in any leagues, just think he's finally getting his chance and could make good and that he has a decent shot at a breakout season.

I watched that TD clip and you get a brief glimpse of Pettigrew on the sidelines. My jaw hit the floor when he appears to be a full helmet taller than Johnson! I scrambled to rewind only to realize that it was Bryant Johnson....and not Calvin. :wacko: The guy is huge though.

I watched that TD clip and you get a brief glimpse of Pettigrew on the sidelines. My jaw hit the floor when he appears to be a full helmet taller than Johnson! I scrambled to rewind only to realize that it was Bryant Johnson....and not Calvin. :wacko: The guy is huge though.

He's huge and ALLOT leaner this year. He adds to the deep threat as well.

I just can't reiterate it enough.... It's not the QB, but the system that dictates how a TE will do. Can't forget the ability of the TE.

I don't think you can say that with any kind of certainty. To say that is discounting the bias of the guy actually throwing the ball. You're basically implying that the QB is a robot with no ability to decide for himself where to throw the ball. I'm not disagreeing that systems have an effect because they certainly do but it's not absolute in either direction (QB or system).

I think we are sayin gthe same thing here?

I would say so. Because first you were stressing how much a system affect's a TE's involvement in the passing game more-so than the actual QB. And now you are stressing how much a system can change depending who the actual QB is. So, although I don't necessarily see the point of your initial posts, we can all seem to agree that the actual QB seems to have a fantasy impact on the other people on his team he throws the football to.

And back to the point of the original post. I do agree that Pettigrew is an interesting prospect this year for a starting TE, but I am a bit skeptical that Stafford will target him enough until I see Stafford target him enough.

Agree. I might take a risk on him if I miss out on some of the higher picks and I platoon some late rounders and hope a legit #1TE emerges.

And back to the point of the original post. I do agree that Pettigrew is an interesting prospect this year for a starting TE, but I am a bit skeptical that Stafford will target him enough until I see Stafford target him enough.

Wait, that means you agree with me. Did you feel that folks? That was a paradigm shift.

Isn't Tennessee moving Cook around though so he isn't lining up on the line constantly? Plus, outside of Britt, who is Hass going to throw to? Not to say you are wrong about Hasselbeck, but I guess we'll see if it's the system or the QB's preference that has more effect on TE production. Seems to me Cook is one of those rising athletic talent types that can become a real mismatch. Funny thing is I don't own Cook in any leagues, just think he's finally getting his chance and could make good and that he has a decent shot at a breakout season.

I like Cook myself, but I also consider his situation....Hasselbeck has been in a WCO which focuses on the short passing game to open things up which favors the TE...

and I actually like Nate Washington with Hass throwing the ball but maybe Hass will start using the TE especially if Cook is being moved around as well..

That is true that the system has an effect, especially in a guy like Tamme's case where he had to step into their game-plans midseason, but it's a misconception that players adapt to the system in place... Smart coaches will adapt to fit the personnel that they have, especially in cases like this where you have a reliable pass-catcher and redzone target that WON'T be the one commanding most of the attention.

exactly, but some systems just don't focus on certain things like throwing to the TE or RB...