[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League question for commish or wise peeps..

Favre4ever

I'm in a 10 team dynasty keeper league where you move a guy up from the round he was drafted so first rounders cannot be kept...All guys are honest good guys but we've encountered a issue...We've never disapproved a trade in 5 years but one scenario has risen..A guy is likely out of the playoffs and has Brady whom he drafted in round 1 so he can't be kept..What would be his value in a future draft pick trade...I said wherever he was drafted just due if he was a good keeper he probable wouldn't be dealt but keep guys from getting Brady for a 5th rounder next year...What would Brady be worth even though your only getting him for the rest of this season and can't be kept...We've never had guys have a firesale but one or two of the owners are smelling blood...Need some input fella's..

Sort of tough to put an absolute value on his future draft pick worth, but you can likely start by examining Brady's 2010 ADP from several website's that offer that kind of info, and adjust plus or minus based on the situation, your league's keeper rules/past owner tendencies (ie, do a lot of QBs traditionally get retained every season by your owners?) and your scoring system.

It's a QB friendly league and QB's get kept as much as other Positions...I'm with you on being a tough one and we don't manage peoples teams for them but I just can't see a guy getting something attitude...A players value shouldn't change due to his owners record...Were trying to address it now but like I said everyone is biased in the middle of the season...The sellers,buyers and guys whom are set have differing opinions...Need all the advice we can get...

Had a guy do this already in my keeper league, he sold his entire team for draft picks and keepers. Traded Andre for a 5th and Colston for an 8th....I'm pissed because he shouldnt be able to unload his team like this but the commish let it go.

I have been running a semi-keeper league for close to 10 years which was one of the first Huddle leagues to have a live draft. In this league you are allowed to trade future draft picks for players in and out of season.

Once you set this as potential for your owners you open yourself up to letting owners do as they wish. Players who will not be keepers the following years don't have as much value as players that can be kept. Even if it is a Brady. However, players going for the playoffs will value 1 year players higher then others.

Unfortunately, unless it is something totally off the wall you have to allow your owners to make the trades as they see fit. Brady for a 6th round pick could be considered reasonable. I'd try to get more but if I were out of the playoffs and playing for next year I would want the right to trade him for the value I am looking for. Brady for a 17th round pick? Well that would be nixed.

From experience, if you don't allow your owners to trade for future picks and it is in the rules that they can, you will lose your owners. I would be happy to discuss this further...feel free to email me.

Storm

He's worth what he can get from other owners. Owners that are a QB away from being a legit title contender are likely to give up more, those that aren't close probably would not even consider a deal for a player they can't keep.

That said, depending on what pick I'd have to give up for players I plan on keeping, Brady would, assuming a 16 man roster, be worth something in the 5th-8th round range to me, but I'm sure you may find an owner willing to mortgage more of his future for the title push. If I felt my team was really close to title town, then maybe I'd push it as high as a 3rd/4th rounder, but in a non-dynasty league these picks still have a ton of value, so I'm not even sure I'd go that high on a half year player.

And as it is a keeper, this is far from a firesale, it is smart roster management by both owners involved - one is giving up future value for a non-guaranteed better shot at a championship this year, and the other team, who has no shot this year, is giving up a player they can not keep (thus a player with minimal value to them) for improved draft picks the following year, thus giving them a theoretically better shot at being better the following year.

So how does it work? You can't keep him, but what about if you trade him? Or is it all guys that were picked in the first round can't be kept by anyone? I'm curious. Sounds like a neat idea.

Take the round a guy was drafted in.... up it by 1 and that is the cost to keep the player. So say you got a guy in the 3rd round this year. In order to keep him, you give up your 2nd round pick next year. To keep him the year after that costs your first round pick. You can't keep him beyond that as there is no pick earlier than your 1st round pick, thus the player goes back in the draft pool.

Some leagues make it 1 round higher, some 2 or 3 rounds, just depends how fast and what quality of player you want teams to be able to keep. Also be sure to define in league rules what free agent acquisitions cost to keep.