[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fred Davis suspended

keggerz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters, it's their league and they can do what they want, but there's a difference between "condoning" and not conducting search without probable cause (which is what a drug test is). And, yes, I understand that, like free speech, we're only protected from that at the hands of the government, not our employers. But it doesn't mean I have to think it's cool.

Think about it like this. The speed limit is, at most 70 mph (?), and that's only on certain stretches of freeway. Say your boss installed a monitor on your car that alerted them every time you went over 70 mph. After all, that's illegal, right? And, if you did so more than once or twice, you'd be suspended or otherwise punished. Say you're a delivery driver or something. Keep in mind, that is not the same thing as having some deal where your employer enacts some punishment for you getting too many tickets. Because the equivalent of that in this case would be suspending players for having gotten popped for drugs by the cops. That's not what we're talking about here.

If that was a condition of my employment (as drug testing including for pot is in the NFL) I'd stop exceeding whatever speed limit that is. Or I wouldn't agree to having that device in my vehicle and risk losing my job. I'm no saint (won't get into specifics), but if something is a condition of employment, and you know it, and you repeatedly break that rule, you deserve whatever punishment (which you and your union agreed to).

You can say it is not fair, and stomp your feet, but I'm not sure many (even those who smoke pot, or regularly speed) are going to defend the NFL players who are stupid enough to do this.

Would I be opposed to the NFL removing pot from a substance it tests for NO. Will I fight a battle to have that done and say the players are being treated unfairly, ALSO NO.

One last thing, equating speeding with smoking pot is silly. Almost everybody speeds regularly. And you don't have to do anything special to buy a vehicle capable of exceeding the speed limit.

You can say it is not fair, and stomp your feet, but I'm not sure many (even those who smoke pot, or regularly speed) are going to defend the NFL players who are stupid enough to do this.

Don't get me wrong, det can get whiny at times but I don't know if I'd characterize his position on this as stomping his feet. He just likes to get all "principally" about these kind of things. I'd agree on this one that the NFL should check players for substances that have to do with cheating or are dangerous narcotics but I could give a fark less about pot. It's just the way things work in the US though. Some states have caught on that it isn't a big deal but there are plenty of places that being caught with pot means you lose your job. Fred's a dumbass for getting caught as he should know better but I think many people can agree that Josh Gordon isn't helping anybody on the field so it's kind of a dumb thing to ban people for. It's probably more of an image thing than anything else though.

Don't get me wrong, det can get whiny at times but I don't know if I'd characterize his position on this as stomping his feet. He just likes to get all "principally" about these kind of things. I'd agree on this one that the NFL should check players for substances that have to do with cheating or are dangerous narcotics but I could give a fark less about pot. It's just the way things work in the US though. Some states have caught on that it isn't a big deal but there are plenty of places that being caught with pot means you lose your job. Fred's a dumbass for getting caught as he should know better but I think many people can agree that Josh Gordon isn't helping anybody on the field so it's kind of a dumb thing to ban people for. It's probably more of an image thing than anything else though.

But even those states that have medical MJ still don't allow just anybody to use pot without some doctor's note or something. (Yes I've heard CA and CO are easy. But MI passed a law and there's still basically nowhere you can buy it legally.) As I said I don't really care if the NFL were to change it, but I'm not going to say "its not fair, its just pot" or get into detlef's whole "what if speeding..." thing.

Its like people I work with who have to travel or work late (doing customer service for our software). They complain about it and I ask, "didn't you know that was part of the job when you took it." Well yeah but.....

I forget, is the NFL the only major sports league in North America that tests for pot?

If that was a condition of my employment (as drug testing including for pot is in the NFL) I'd stop exceeding whatever speed limit that is. Or I wouldn't agree to having that device in my vehicle and risk losing my job. I'm no saint (won't get into specifics), but if something is a condition of employment, and you know it, and you repeatedly break that rule, you deserve whatever punishment (which you and your union agreed to).

Would I be opposed to the NFL removing pot from a substance it tests for NO. Will I fight a battle to have that done and say the players are being treated unfairly, ALSO NO.

One last thing, equating speeding with smoking pot is silly. Almost everybody speeds regularly. And you don't have to do anything special to buy a vehicle capable of exceeding the speed limit.

1) Like I said, it's their league.

2) I've taken a job that required me to pee in a cup, so it's not like I'm going to the mattresses over this

3) Why is it so silly? Both are illegal. It's just silly to you because speeding is a law that you break and smoking pot is not one. It's pretty convenient to not care about overreaching policies that don't affect you. And speeding laws are in place because it is potentially dangerous. More dangerous, one might add, than some dude getting high at home playing Xbox.

medical Josh Gordon is actually one hell of a pain killer. i could see why a lot of pro athletes would like to smoke on their days off.

its whatever tho, taco is illegal so that is that. didnt some pitcher win a world series high on coke ?

medical Josh Gordon is actually one hell of a pain killer. i could see why a lot of pro athletes would like to smoke on their days off.

its whatever tho, taco is illegal so that is that. didnt some pitcher win a world series high on coke ?

Steve Howe?

Dwight Gooden?

Edited by tazinib1