[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League Rebuild or Contend Explained

jmkramer

I'm looking for a manual/ advice/ explanation of the contend vs. rebuild mode that I hear thrown around forums and websites. There is never any more in depth discussion beyond, "I'm in a rebuild year." What defines a rebuild year? What should an owner do in a rebuild year? What's the difference in a league with 2 keepers vs 5 keepers? Does the 2 keeper league even need to worry about rebuild mode? I realize that the basics are that in Rebuild mode I should be looking for younger high upside players for good value, but isn't that what we're looking for anyway regardless of "mode" we're in?

Thanks in advance for any website links or long treatise answers on the subject!

People should go into every year with the attitude that they are going to win. I don't think anyone drafts not to win that year. Rebuilding teams are probably more dynasty teams where most of their rosters are locked in before the draft even begins, so they may not have much of a shot, but I don't think anyone drafts not to win this year.

I think it applies much more to dynasty leagues not keepers where you're only dealing with a handful of players. Those leagues you play to win every year. Depending on rules the rebuilding happens at the trade deadline

I think it applies much more to dynasty leagues not keepers where you're only dealing with a handful of players. Those leagues you play to win every year. Depending on rules the rebuilding happens at the trade deadline

This.

If your keeping a relatively small portion of your roster (such as 2-5 players from a 16-18 man roster, assuming non-IDP), then you should be playing to win every year. now, you may have a team with lesser quality players, but you still aim to win in the current year, but if you find you are falling behind near the trade deadline, make moves to bolster your team for the future (trade for picks, youth, etc.)

Dynasty leagues (especially deep IDP leagues) you may see rebuilding hit earlier on, and last for more than one year, as with rookie only drafts and no fresh supply of top level veterans hitting the draft pool (though, depending on league, they may be RFAs), it can be a bit more difficult to turn a team around into a true contender.

I am in a dynasty league (25 years) and rebuild is exactly what was stated. You keep a few core younger players, trade your aging veternas for picks or promising younger players and hope within a year or two, they blossom and you can contend. I have done this twice where you take two steps back in hopes of eventually taking four steps forward down the road.

Echo the sentiments about rebuilding only being something to consider in a dynasty. Mind you, I've never done a dynasty, so I honestly can only guess that I'd even try it there. But in a keeper? Not a chance. Especially with as few as 2. That's nothing.

Hell, I was in a 4 player keeper where I was "fortunate" enough to have my 4 keepers all ranked top 15 or so in the Huddle 200 for redrafts in a 12 team league. I thought I was set, but none really played out like they were supposed to, leading me to a pretty mediocre season.

Anything can happen.

Great, thanks for the advice. It's what I was leaning toward, but with so much talk of rebuilding on forums and such I was confused. I'm surprised there are so many dynasty leagues out there!

Well, dynasty leagues are definitely outnumbered by redraft nd partial keepers, but because they are essentially a year round endeavour, they attract the more hardcore FFer, who is more likely to remain active on forums year round. That may be why it seems that there is a lot of dynasty leagues - they're essentially the only things that have been active the last 6 months.