[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owen Daniels, trend or mirage?

MnLefty

He's scored in 3 straight and seems to be a big part of what they want to do this year. I know he's not going to score every game, but he seems to be getting consistent looks and has a favorable schedule through the rest of the year...

Considering moving J. Graham for an upgrade at RB/WR and riding Daniels...

In '08, Daniels finished 70-862-2.

In '09, he had 40-519-5 in half a season before injuring his knee.

In '10, he was mildy disappointing 38-471-2 in a "recovery" year.

Last year, he was back up to "acceptable" levels w/54-677-3.

Since it takes ~2 full yrs to recover from a blown-out knee, I'd say his current just-shy-of-09 pace is where his talent level WOULD have had him absent injury.

And since the Texans STILL don't have a top-notch 2nd WR opposite Johnson, I'd feel pretty comfortable that he's reached his level of play, probably mid-TE1.

He was an absolute stud in 2009 before he got hurt.

Along with his recovery was also inconsistent QB play in the past two years.

With a full year of Schaub and Daniels, it could be promising the rest of the way. In week one in my TE-optional league, when people were grabbing Ogetree for $20 I grabbed Daniels for $4 and have been very happy with it.

This might be an appropriate time to mention one of the brilliant writers here at the Huddle predicted this comeback in a preseason article.

I really hesitate adding this guy to the list. Daniels’s knees are held together with duct tape and he is a 30 year old on a team that doesn’t pass much. 3 seasons ago Daniels seemed on the brink of fantasy stardom, but since then his body has failed him, other pass catching tight ends have eaten into his totals, and the running game has taken over the game plan. In the mean time, the tight end position has changed a lot since then with a deep pool of players on Daniels level.

Therefore he is justifiably a forgotten man in fantasy drafts. So why do I see a comeback? It’s kind of a gut feeling more than anything. The team did lose Dreesen to the Broncos, and they do pass a lot to the tight ends. Add that to the fact that Andre Johnson’s health seems just as precarious as Daniels, this may end up a situation of attrition. Whoever can stay on the field the most between them will lead the team in catches. I’ve already suggested in another article not to draft Andre Johnson, so I guess my chips are on Daniels. Aside from all he has suffered through, the guy is still a player. His body will just need to cooperate to make it happen.

At the price you can likely get him for it is a low-risk investment that could pay off.

And if you really want to dig deep for sleepers, if Daniels does miss time the burden would likely fall to James Casey, a guy that will go undrafted but could be asked to contribute heavily at some point this season. The Texans ranked 4th in passes to the tight end last year. And Daniels is the 14th TE off the board in PPR, while Casey goes undrafted. The math just doesn’t seem to add up somehow.

This might be an appropriate time to mention one of the brilliant writers here at the Huddle predicted this comeback in a preseason article.

I really hesitate adding this guy to the list. Daniels’s knees are held together with duct tape and he is a 30 year old on a team that doesn’t pass much. 3 seasons ago Daniels seemed on the brink of fantasy stardom, but since then his body has failed him, other pass catching tight ends have eaten into his totals, and the running game has taken over the game plan. In the mean time, the tight end position has changed a lot since then with a deep pool of players on Daniels level.

Therefore he is justifiably a forgotten man in fantasy drafts. So why do I see a comeback? It’s kind of a gut feeling more than anything. The team did lose Dreesen to the Broncos, and they do pass a lot to the tight ends. Add that to the fact that Andre Johnson’s health seems just as precarious as Daniels, this may end up a situation of attrition. Whoever can stay on the field the most between them will lead the team in catches. I’ve already suggested in another article not to draft Andre Johnson, so I guess my chips are on Daniels. Aside from all he has suffered through, the guy is still a player. His body will just need to cooperate to make it happen.

At the price you can likely get him for it is a low-risk investment that could pay off.

And if you really want to dig deep for sleepers, if Daniels does miss time the burden would likely fall to James Casey, a guy that will go undrafted but could be asked to contribute heavily at some point this season. The Texans ranked 4th in passes to the tight end last year. And Daniels is the 14th TE off the board in PPR, while Casey goes undrafted. The math just doesn’t seem to add up somehow.

That's all great and I like the Casey idea....but...any suggestions on how to get Sportsline to make him a TE and not an RB? :(

Daniels always flashes and inevitably gets hurt.

He's basically had 2 stints where he was "out" - blowing out his knee in '09 and whatever happened from weeks 8-12 in '10; aside from that, he's been a non-killer if not a stud (i.e., he shows up on the stat sheet in his starts) the bulk of his career aside from maybe wks 9-12 in '08 (total of 7-80 over those 4 games). (Daniels' gamelogs)

He's a guy who will almost always get you points and show up with the occasional "Hell YEAH!" game.

That's all great and I like the Casey idea....but...any suggestions on how to get Sportsline to make him a TE and not an RB? :(

Hmm, for some reason I thought the commish had control of that, but I'm a commish in my CBS league and cannot find a way to change that. Have you talked to your commissioner, or tried contacting CBS for help.

I generally am against changing a player's eligibility once the season starts, just doesn't seem right. Also if the team lists him as one thing, I don't think fantasy leagues should use something else just because "he plays like a TE". He's listed as a FB on the team site's roster, so he's a RB.

Hmm, for some reason I thought the commish had control of that, but I'm a commish in my CBS league and cannot find a way to change that. Have you talked to your commissioner, or tried contacting CBS for help.

I generally am against changing a player's eligibility once the season starts, just doesn't seem right. Also if the team lists him as one thing, I don't think fantasy leagues should use something else just because "he plays like a TE". He's listed as a FB on the team site's roster, so he's a RB.

Makes sense, I agree with you. I guess if Daniels went down and Casey started filling in more as a straight TE, well...then maybe a change is warranted.

I generally like the idea of multiple eligibility......hey if you want to start Cromartie at WR or Tebow as your FB....by all means...have fun.