[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

willingham done at notre dame

crispirons

PopeFlick:  I dont know you, but you are not getting it.  If you cant tell my "he was fired because he was black" posts are meant sarcastically, then I dont think there is much I can do to clue you in.  I have noticed that you have a very negative personal tone with me which may indicate that I get under your skin.  But instead of ignoring me, you can help but respond with your name calling posts.  You practically jump in the boat everytime bait is thrown in the water.  And you seem to take everything so personally that it makes me wonder about you being wound up a little too tight. 

As far as credibility, you might want to ask around here as to who has more or less of it.  You might be surprised...

584274[/snapback]

What a tired argument. How can anyone tell if you're being sarcastic? He was fired because he could not recruit the one thing that all the elite college teams have. SPEED. To compound this, Willingham tried installing a pro style offense. No speed, no execution. ND does not possess the mystique they once enjoyed that made most of the big time athletes want to come to ND. They are a notch below the big time schools. I don't care who the coach is going to be, they will find it difficult to recruit with the academic requirement and the fact that most kids are going to go where they can be a top draft pick.

PopeFlick:  I dont know you, but you are not getting it.  If you cant tell my "he was fired because he was black" posts are meant sarcastically, then I dont think there is much I can do to clue you in.  I have noticed that you have a very negative personal tone with me which may indicate that I get under your skin.  But instead of ignoring me, you can help but respond with your name calling posts.  You practically jump in the boat everytime bait is thrown in the water.  And you seem to take everything so personally that it makes me wonder about you being wound up a little too tight. 

As far as credibility, you might want to ask around here as to who has more or less of it.  You might be surprised...

584274[/snapback]

No spain, you continue to get it wrong: I did not call you names. In fact you called me naive and I presented a reason as to why I wasn't.

I'll continue to say you are the double standard bearer, who continues his hypocrisy by biatching about name calling when you were the one who jumped into that water first.

Kind of like yesterday, where you started raggin on pedophiles, got called out for actually thinking like one in the tailgate and then proceeded to change the subject to homosexual pedophiles as if it makes any difference. That's not humor, that's a sick sry for some type of validating attention.

You don't want to be held to the fire when you write your sarcasm, then don't write it.

And you can take your poll if you like, but I'm willing to bet those who back you up are those who 'think' like you. And in the end, I think we can all agree that we're not changing many minds here, not with blanket statements devoid of thought. Much like your troll posts.

Maybe you should take yourself less seriously, and you wouldn't come across as the double standard bearer. You do yourself a disservive, but again that'syour problem.

What a tired argument.  How can anyone tell if you're being sarcastic? He was fired because he could not recruit the one thing that all the elite college teams have.  SPEED. To compound this, Willingham tried installing a pro style offense.  No speed, no execution.  ND does not possess the mystique they once enjoyed that made most of the big time athletes want to come to ND.  They are a notch below the big time schools.  I don't care who the coach is going to be, they will find it difficult to recruit with the academic requirement and the fact that most kids are going to go where they can be a top draft pick.

584351[/snapback]

I dont think the academic requirement is an impediment to ND getting top athletes. I believe that they can still get blue chip High school players to come there. But they have fallen from their once lofty perch of getting basically any player they wanted.

I dont think the academic requirement is an impediment to ND getting top athletes.  I believe that they can still get blue chip High school players to come there.  But they have fallen from their once lofty perch of getting basically any player they wanted.

584372[/snapback]

Somethign intelligent to discuss; allow me to contribute.

This, on its face, is quite true. Until the advent of National Sports Media a la ESPN (early 80's) ND's top recruiting draw was a national audience found at that school and few others. That was the prime reason for their success from the 20's to 70's: few schools travelled as they did back then. Many do now.

You can argue the NBC contract does the same, but how many other teams have 5-6 games televised nationally each year? If you dig in, you could find at least a dozen, if not more.

In fact, many alumni HATE the contract because the admin's all but admitted that the money that flows in is of enough quantity that they do not consider their lost football status all that big a deal because they are flush with revenue. My Dad's response is: 'Notre Dame didn't get where they are because of f'ing fencing.'

Frankly, I was surprised at how poorly Willingham did at recruiting, given his achievement and his profile. Oh well, bring on Meyer until Chucky gets tired of the Bucs. My Dad was even more surprised that he was fired, because it hasn't happened before.

Done with this thread.

I dont think the academic requirement is an impediment to ND getting top athletes.  I believe that they can still get blue chip High school players to come there.  But they have fallen from their once lofty perch of getting basically any player they wanted.

584372[/snapback]

They have virtually the same requirements as Stanford and Georgia Tech last I heard. That may or may not figure into this, but I can't believe it helps.

Who would that be?  :D  Oklahoma has a couple Heisman hopefuls ... Miami cranks out NFL draft picks ... Heck, Marshall and Miami of Ohio have big name talent coming out ... Notre Dame has? Hmmm.  :D

584050[/snapback]

You miss my point - if they can beat Michigan and Tennessee this year they have enough talent to hang with the big boys (at least keep it close), they just aren't consistant, and IMO that comes down to coaching and the fundamentals. You can't play 15 yards off the line on 3rd and 8 and expect success. You can't woefully mismanage the clock in several last minute drives and expect success. You can't consistantly drop passes and potential interceptions that are right on your numbers and expect success. And you can't lose more blowouts than all the other coaches in ND history COMBINED and expect to keep your job.

Did you watch Julius Jones on Thanksgiving? David Givens seems to be doing well in NE. Granted, ND isn't putting as many stars into the NFL as they used to, but they have talent. Darius Walker (Frosh) looks like he could really be something special. Notre Dame still gets talent - it's just been poorly coached for years. Ask Ron Powlus how he feels about the QB coaching at ND...

ND was #2 in 1993 and beat the team that was #1. 11 years is a long time to be out of contention for a title at that school. The next coach is going to have 3 years to show marked improvement or he will be gone as well.