[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please stop with this, #1 team not in the big game, crap!

BS Miscreant

This does not necessarily pertain to the majority who frequent this forum but we're bombarded by this everywhere. Hell, even Dick Vitale, a college basketball analyst, said, tonight, that it's a shame that USC, the nations #1 team, isn't playing in the national title game. Granted, he was advocating a playoff system but the #1 team argument is way off base. This #1 ranking that everyone continues to reference is based on the polls (ie voters). Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't the BCS created because the powers that be, not to mention most football fans, agreed that basing a national champion on biased human opinion polls was severely flawed. There is a new system (BCS) and although this system certainly has its bugs, it has USC ranked #3 therefore they are just that, #3 not #1. What kind of rationale does it take to come up with this argument? This system sucks so lets revert back to the old system that sucked. The AP poll no longer determines the #1 team. It is merely part of the equation.

I've NEVER believed that a late season loss should be more damaging than a mid-season loss, which use to be the case. In keeping with that line of thinking, until ALL conferences have one, I believe a conference championship game is just another game. If, in fact, it is, then losing it shouldn't hurt your chances anymore than losing any other game. For all intents and purposes, OSU-Michigan was a conference championship game, it just didn't have the title to go along with it. If an 11-0, #1 OSU team loses it's last game of the year to a 9-2 (with one conference loss) Michigan team should they be eliminated from NC consideration just because Michigan won the conference and OSU lost late in the season when the other "best" teams out there also have 1 loss? I say absolutely not.

Before I'm attacked for sounding like I'm in favor of the current match-ups let me say this...

It is better than opinion alone but the BCS sucks too. Playoffs are the only way to determine an undisputed National Champion.

I know this was a bit long-winded but it felt good to get it off my chest.

I'm not going to debate you hardcore, but I don't understand this dual reasoning:

1) Late season loss should not be "worth" more than a early/mid season loss.

2) We need a playoff

Now, if you only believe one of those things, (as I do - playoff needed), that's fine.

But if you say you believe both...if the #1 team loses in the first round of the 4 round playoff, is it double elimination?

We can go back and forth on the "not playing for anything" bs, but the fact is, if you lose in your conf championship when the title game is possibly affected, it's the same thing as losing in the first roudn of a playff.

JMO

Sarge, you got it half right, I think the Wolverines will clear this thing up.

I guess I can see why you are so confident with the Sooners, they won about 80% of the individual post-season awards they were nominated for. Best linebacker, best defensive back, best QB, best interior lineman, etc... But the Sooners will be playing their toughest competition of the year come Jan. 4th. It will be fun.

xMRogers:

if you lose in your conf championship when the title game is possibly affected, it's the same thing as losing in the first roudn of a playff.

JMO

I disagree with this line of thinking for one reason and one reason only. "Playoffs" are a series of contests played at the end of the regular season to determine a championship. A "series", in this context, implies that ALL pertinent teams are involved under the same format. The SEC and Big 12 are the only major conferences that hold conference championship games, therefore, these two games are not part of a "series of games" which, in turn, means they are not part of a playoff. As it stands, these games merely serve to make money for and determine a conference's champion with no immediate bearing on the rest of the country. When everyone gets on the same page and has a conference championship game to determine who will represent each conference in the battle for the national title then we can call the CC game a first round playoff game. Until that happens, it will simply remain the last game of the season for those respective teams.