[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ronald Curry

darin3

Trainer Phil's been awesome, dontchathink? :D

Well done, again, Phil.... with respect to the updates on WRs. One note/clarification/question for you, though, with regards to:

Ronald Curry, OAK

Surgery to repair torn Achilles tendon

Huddle Up: Raiders WR Ronald Curry is still recovering from surgery that was performed on his Achilles tendon last year. But according to team officials his rehabilitation has gone extremely well and the team expects him to return in time for training camp and he's on schedule to be completely healthy for the start of the regular season. Curry tore his left Achilles Tendon during Week 13 last year and he was placed on Injured Reserve following corrective surgery. It usually takes 6 - 8 months to recovery from an Achilles tendon tear so Curry should be in the middle of sport-specific drills designed to prepare him for his unrestricted return. The Raiders' acquisition of Randy Moss and the re-signing of Jerry Porter bumps Curry out of the starting lineup but don't be surprised if he stays productive as the team's number 3 receiver.

----

I had the exact same injury/surgery this past October. My orthopaedic surgeon called the process "male pregnancy", because it is a FULL 9 months of recovery (and actually split up into three "trimesters" of rehabilitation). Is the 6-8 month recovery period akin to a professional athlete? Or is this projection a little liberal? And, in terms of a "full recovery", how much potential is there for re-injury? (For me and for Curry; guess it would depend) Any downgrades in abillity to cut, jump, etc.?

Thanks again for your in-depth columns... they certainly add a distinct flavor to The Huddle!

had the exact same injury/surgery this past October. My orthopaedic surgeon called the process "male pregnancy", because it is a FULL 9 months of recovery (and actually split up into three "trimesters" of rehabilitation). Is the 6-8 month recovery period akin to a professional athlete? Or is this projection a little liberal? And, in terms of a "full recovery", how much potential is there for re-injury?

Great question. I've worked with a ton of doctors in the past and I've read hundreds of case studies and recovery time depends on several factors. Certainly the nature of the rupture, the type of surgery performed and the quality of care and rehab will affect the time it takes to completely heal. But you have to remember, physicians aren't all educated by the same institute and tend to do things differently. I have heard of doctors adhering to the "9-month" rule but thats generally in regards to the "regular guy or gal" who's access to proper care and rehab is limited. In all my years in dealing with college-level and professional athletes I typically see them come back from this type of injury in the 6-8 month post-op time frame. You would think that because they need to get back to a more athletic level that it would take longer but you've got to remember that they have access to THE BEST medical practioners and facilities. And because athletes are generally in terrific shape prior to the injury and surgery it helps them recover even faster.

As for re-injury, studies have shown that the rate of re-tearing the same tendon can be as low as 2%. Now Curry tore the same tendon in his right leg back when he played in college so that logically tells us that he is at a greater risk of re-injury. But the chances of him suffering the same injury are low so once he's finally back to full strength there really shouldn't be anything to worry about. It shouldn't affect his long-term ability to cut, jump and run at full speed. Hope this helps...........

Great question. I've worked with a ton of doctors in the past and I've read hundreds of case studies and recovery time depends on several factors. Certainly the nature of the rupture, the type of surgery performed and the quality of care and rehab will affect the time it takes to completely heal. But you have to remember, physicians aren't all educated by the same institute and tend to do things differently. I have heard of doctors adhering to the "9-month" rule but thats generally in regards to the "regular guy or gal" who's access to proper care and rehab is limited. In all my years in dealing with college-level and professional athletes I typically see them come back from this type of injury in the 6-8 month post-op time frame. You would think that because they need to get back to a more athletic level that it would take longer but you've got to remember that they have access to THE BEST medical practioners and facilities. And because athletes are generally in terrific shape prior to the injury and surgery it helps them recover even faster.

As for re-injury, studies have shown that the rate of re-tearing the same tendon can be as low as 2%. Now Curry tore the same tendon in his right leg back when he played in college so that logically tells us that he is at a greater risk of re-injury. But the chances of him suffering the same injury are low so once he's finally back to full strength there really shouldn't be anything to worry about. It shouldn't affect his long-term ability to cut, jump and run at full speed. Hope this helps...........

842873[/snapback]

yes it does, thanks

842873[/snapback]

TP - thanks for the response. I figured that the "9-month" rule applied to the weekend warrior, such as myself. I apparently ruptured mine purty good, too... my scar's pretty scar-y. :D Voshon Lenard (Denver Nuggets) ruptured his within a week of my accident, and he was back shooting in the 3-point contest during the All-Star weekend in February. I was nowhere near that level. I am approaching the 8-month mark and I've been cleared to jog and shoot around, but not compete in full-court basketball. This, with going to PT 2 times a week at first (December) and now tailing off to once a week... nearly done with that.

Thanks again for your response! :D