[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Hoops

billay

Despite losing Bobby Frasor for the year, the Tar Heels continue to roll with wins over Clemson and NC State. Ellington's 3 at the buzzer saved us at LittleJohn, frankly, in a game that Clemson played well enough to win. The Heels completely embarassed the Pack yesterday despite the Red Nation's insistence that State has returned to powerhouse status in the ACC. That State team looks to me to have some serious issues. Costner and McCauley doen't seem to happy about the presence of JJ Hickson, who looks to be for real. They miss Ingin Atsur's calm head at the point.

BC anhilated Wake yesterday, hitting 13 3's, a strong recovery from the beating they received at the hands of the Jayhawks last week.

Clemson recovered from their post-UNC swoon by beating FSU in 2 overtimes. I think both these teams could make some noise this year.

Miami continues to win despite preseason predicitions as an ACC bottom-dweller. That role seems to be destined for Maryland, who lost to VT yesterday, or Georgia Tech who are 7-8 on the season so far and 0-2 in the ACC.

Dook plays UVA at home (suprise) tonight. Should be an interesting game. If the Hoo's can keep from getting blown out early, they might have a chance to pull off the upset.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for that.

Dook looked good last night. They had good intensity, played very strong D and got some easy baskets as a result of it. They have lots of good shooters and great athletecism. I keep waiting for somebody to take advantage of their lack of size, but it hasn't happened yet.

So far, I really don;'t see any outstanding teams in the league other than UNC and Dook. Clemson looked good against the heels, but then they turned around and lost the next game. BC has looked strong at times but lost badly to Kansas. State has issues. Tech, Maryland, and Wake all look pretty pedestrian. I have yet to see Miami play.

I know PD isn't around much these days but I feel compelled to point out that Herb Sendek's Arizona State team is 3-0 in the PAC 10 and ranked in the top 25 for the first time in more than a decade.

I think the Wolfpack faithful ran a very good basketball coach out of town.

I know PD isn't around much these days but I feel compelled to point out that Herb Sendek's Arizona State team is 3-0 in the PAC 10 and ranked in the top 25 for the first time in more than a decade.

I think the Wolfpack faithful ran a very good basketball coach out of town.

yeah as a west coaster I always thought he was doin a pretty damn good job at NCState.......... if ASU can keep this up- wow, the Pac could be looking at 7 locks for the tourney- UCLA,WSU,UA,OU,STAN,CAL as of now, USC has work do

still,

UNC/Memphis/UCLA/KU will be tough to beat come tourney time

So much for that.

HOOS= very,very BAD. Pathetic to never even really be in the game!

Might win 6 conference games this year! they look so confused as to what to do with the ball on offense and break down after break down on D.

although as Gillen once said..."Duke is Duke!" so we got that goin' for us!

Oh and sorry Wildcat! Because of such tragic play recently that win we pulled out earlier seems to hurt your cats more than it helped us!

yeah as a west coaster I always thought he was doin a pretty damn good job at NCState.......... if ASU can keep this up- wow, the Pac could be looking at 7 locks for the tourney- UCLA,WSU,UA,OU,STAN,CAL as of now, USC has work do

still,

UNC/Memphis/UCLA/KU will be tough to beat come tourney time

While I still think that it's likely that many of the PAC-10 teams will beat up on each other and conversely, hurt their tourney chances, this is clearly a down year for the ACC. At best, we can hope for 3-4 teams to emerge strong out of conference play and make a case for 5-6 teams in the tournament. At this point, UMD is out, Ga. and Va. Tech are out, Virginia, State, Wake, BC and FSU are all on the verge. That leaves UNC, Dook, Miami and Clemson, the latter 2 are, by no means, givens. I still hold out hope that a BC, FSU, State or UVA could play their way into the field, but it's going to take some good wins on the road and holding the line at home to do it.

While I still think that it's likely that many of the PAC-10 teams will beat up on each other and conversely, hurt their tourney chances, this is clearly a down year for the ACC. At best, we can hope for 3-4 teams to emerge strong out of conference play and make a case for 5-6 teams in the tournament. At this point, UMD is out, Ga. and Va. Tech are out, Virginia, State, Wake, BC and FSU are all on the verge. That leaves UNC, Dook, Miami and Clemson, the latter 2 are, by no means, givens. I still hold out hope that a BC, FSU, State or UVA could play their way into the field, but it's going to take some good wins on the road and holding the line at home to do it.

yeah - didn't BC beat up on Miami last night?? unusual for the ACC to not be strong thruought........... as for my Pac 10- I think it is so strong this year that like the ACC in previous years if you come thru league play over .500 you can basically punch yer ticket to the dance...........

a sleeper in the Pac 10 that is really talented and will play their way in is CAL - they are good......

:wacko::D:D:D

Yeah, what's up with the Hoos? Starting 0-3 in the ACC? They should have been a potential NCAA team this year, but it doesn;t look like that is going to happen. Right now, UNC, Dook, BC and Clemson are the only teams which look like tourney teams. I have yet to see Miami play, but I get the sense that they are going to do what Clemson did last year. I

Yeah, what's up with the Hoos? Starting 0-3 in the ACC? They should have been a potential NCAA team this year, but it doesn;t look like that is going to happen. Right now, UNC, Dook, BC and Clemson are the only teams which look like tourney teams. I have yet to see Miami play, but I get the sense that they are going to do what Clemson did last year. I

Let's not get ahead of ourselves....We're 0-2! we'll be 0-3 this Saturday when BC comes to CVILLE. (depending on which teams show up) Not that we shouldn't be able to hold our own, but some injuries I believe are starting to make an impact. Specifically Lars and Tunji, who really are our best paint players, especially on defense, not so much on offense. I have no idea what the time frame for them to return is either.

As I've said before, there doesn't seem to be any offensive game plan right now. Singletary brings it up court, they pass around the perimeter looking for screens and then launch it. No ONE is helping Singletary right now either. the other starters, which one would expect some support from (Diane, A. Joseph, Mike Scott and Baker) were a combined 10 for 40 last night :D . This lack of offensive cohesiveness is killing them. they had a 9 point lead in the contest with I think around 7 or so minutes to play. Good teams close the deal (Duke vs. FSU, UNC vs. GT), Bad teams fold like house of cards.

Of course last year there was equal opportunity for fan meltdown, from the Puerto Rico disaster and we did start 1-2 in conference play before reeling off 7 straight. However, given what I've seen thus far, I won't be holding my breath!

Nice win last night billay, and sorry for the rant!!!

The ACC can be terribly frustrating at times. Teams like Ga. Tech and UMD play really poorly at times and really well at others. Maryland lost to American and then beat the Heels in Chapel Hill. :D

The handwriting was on the wall for the Heels though. It was the second game in a row that they didn;t come out with any intensity. Their defense has a long way to go before they have any real hope at making a run at a national title. There's still a lot of basketball left to play however. Even the 2005 team took awhile to put it all together.

It was an excellent game plan by Garry Williams and the Terps executed it perfectly. Hats off to them.

Cav's are writing the book this year on "How to blow a 10 point lead" Second time in 3 games they've done it. Amazing they are 3 points away from being 3-1 in conference play vs. now 1-3.

Singletary should gone to the draft last year! I think he is only hurting himself with the way things are playing out right now!

Another nice win for Duke tonight.

P.S. Sorry JohnsonK2 but I caught the end of the GT & Virginia game and wow do they stink. They just run around & chuck 3's.

Many thanks for the condolences, and congrats to your dookies for being undefeated in conference! As I noted earlier, UVA again had a 10 point lead against GT and again blew it !!! 3rd time in 4 games. We may not win 4 games in conference this year. 5 of next 7 are on the road and it is now looking like our only post players going in to the season (Lars and Tunji) are possibly out for the season!

Effin' great! I'm a glutton for punishment (what UVA fan isn't) as I'll keep watching and hoping for something to give!