[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rampage likely out for UFC 98

budlitebrad

A lot of MMA sites are saying that Jackson is doubtful for the title fight vs. Rashad Evans. As much as I would have loved to watch them slug it out, Machida finally getting his shot is just as good and probably makes for a more exciting fight.

booooooooooooooo :wacko:

I was really looking forward to this fight.

booooooooooooooo :wacko:

I was really looking forward to this fight.

Trust me... Machida has a much better shot of beating Evans than Rampage does. I was hoping Rampage would lose on Saturday, just because I'd rather see Machida contend for the title.

Official now:

UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans (13-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1) will meet undefeated Lyoto Machida (14-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC), not Quinton Jackson (30-7 MMA, 5-1 UFC), in a title fight at UFC 98.

Evans, who was originally scheduled to defend his title at July's UFC 100 event, was instead moved into a UFC 98 slot vacated when UFC interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir underwent a recent knee surgery to remove bone chips.

Jackson had been promised a title after defeating Keith Jardine this past weekend at UFC 96, but an array of ailments won't allow him ample time to train for UFC 98.

Looks like Jackson needs jaw surgery.

Better, more well-rounded fighter, to put it simply. Rampage went to a decision with a guy who is borderline top-10 in the division, while Machida may very well be the most well-rounded fighter there is at 205... Efficient/precise striker, very good at submissions (as well as the defense of them), utilizes kicks well (which Rampage does not, and can not defend either), and better/more comfortable on his back than Rampage. I just think the Machida/Evans fight is far more intriguing than Evans/Jackson, which would most likely turn into nothing more than a dirty boxing bout, with maybe a little grappling mixed in.

Rampage won his belt against Chuck at a time when the LHW division was not nearly as deep as it is right now. I just don't think he won in convincing enough style on Saturday to justify being the top title contender in the division. I mean, it wasn't a close decision, by any means, but he certainly didn't dominate Jardine either. :wacko: