[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tressel in Trouble

SEC=UGA

And a funny comment...

Revered Ohio State coach Woody Hayes' career abruptly ended with a punch. Is the Jim Tressel era about to end with a lie?

Probably not. Not yet, anyway. But the mere possibility that the Buckeyes' stately sweater wearer may have perpetrated unethical conduct in an NCAA investigation is as stunning a turn to his career -- and one that may ultimately prove as damaging.

The latest Yahoo! Sports investigative bombshell Monday night claimed Ohio State's coach was made aware of his players selling memorabilia to a Columbus tattoo parlor owner eight months before the school claimed it learned about the transactions from law enforcement officials. Yahoo's report appears to be based on one anonymous source, but is stated as fact, which leads us to believe the school itself was already aware of Tressel's transgression and is in the midst of processing it. Now, it's a matter of finding out just how egregious it may be.

Failing to disclose a possible rules violation is itself an NCAA violation. A cornerstone of the NCAA's case against USC last year was that assistant coach Todd McNair knew of Reggie Bush's illicit financial arrangement but failed to disclose it. Obviously, the crime in play here (players selling a few thousand dollars worth of rings and trinkets) was less serious than that at USC (where Bush and his family allegedly pocketed six-figure benefits) and thus had not yet warranted a full-scale NCAA infractions case.

But the severity of Tressel's infraction rises exponentially if it's found he lied to NCAA investigators. And it wouldn't take much further investigation to figure that out. At some point during those 10 days in December that led to the suspensions of Terrelle Pryor and Co., one of the NCAA's staffers presumably interviewed Tressel. If at any point he or she asked the coach whether he'd heard previous rumblings about the notorious Edward Rife, and if Tressel replied, "No" -- well, that's unethical conduct. The NCAA frowns on it. Ask Dez Bryant or Bruce Pearl.

Mind you, we're only about three yards into one of Tressel's patented 17-play field goal drives in terms of learning his ultimate fate. First Ohio State would have to self-report the information to the NCAA. Its enforcement staff would have to launch an investigation. Several months later, that group would report its findings. It could be a year or more before the seeds of this Yahoo! report make their way into an Infractions Committee decision.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1G1XfN1XM

:wacko:

Assuming this is true, it could end very badly for OSU and/or Tressel. Especially in light of the fact that the rather shady decision to let the 5 kids play in the Sugar Bowl is still fresh in people's minds.

Classic stuff here. The AD actually said that he was glad Tress didn't fire him. Seriously? Tough penalty, miss 2 games against MAC opponents. Just begging the NCAA to investigate more.

Classic stuff here. The AD actually said that he was glad Tress didn't fire him. Seriously? Tough penalty, miss 2 games against MAC opponents. Just begging the NCAA to investigate more.

Oh, they will. The fact that OSU immediately fined and suspended him on the basis of an on-line story means there's plenty here.

Oh, they will. The fact that OSU immediately fined and suspended him on the basis of an on-line story means there's plenty here.

In the interest of accuracy, the NCAA has been involved in this investigation since January. OSU invited them in on day 1 of the investigation in hopes it would expedite the process. They were scheduled to release the report on Friday of this week. When the leak happened they were forced to show their hands earlier than they wanted to, but the fact remains they did not immediately fine and suspend him on the basis of an online story. They suspended him because they found out he did something wrong and conducted a two month investigation with the NCAA. That being said, it remains to be seen if the NCAA will accept the suspension or add on. I wonder what the precedent is for something like this?

In the interest of accuracy, the NCAA has been involved in this investigation since January. OSU invited them in on day 1 of the investigation in hopes it would expedite the process. They were scheduled to release the report on Friday of this week. When the leak happened they were forced to show their hands earlier than they wanted to, but the fact remains they did not immediately fine and suspend him on the basis of an online story. They suspended him because they found out he did something wrong and conducted a two month investigation with the NCAA. That being said, it remains to be seen if the NCAA will accept the suspension or add on. I wonder what the precedent is for something like this?

I mean, c'mon, if you're gonna play dirty at least get a national title out of it... :wacko:

I mean, c'mon, if you're gonna play dirty at least get a national title out of it... :wacko:

I am not defending anyone mind you. I think the university is probably doing the right thing but I am not sure the Tressel timeline is adding up. We probably wont know for sure until they release all of the info. I just wanted to make sure if we were going to complain about OSU we could at least be accurate about it and not make stuff up.

I am not defending anyone mind you. I think the university is probably doing the right thing but I am not sure the Tressel timeline is adding up. We probably wont know for sure until they release all of the info. I just wanted to make sure if we were going to complain about OSU we could at least be accurate about it and not make stuff up.

I'm just messing with you.

The only real coverage we see outside of Ohio is that Yahoo published the report and then the next day he is suspended. We jump to conclusions, thank you for setting the record straight.

I'm just messing with you.

The only real coverage we see outside of Ohio is that Yahoo published the report and then the next day he is suspended. We jump to conclusions, thank you for setting the record straight.

I know, I just think this whole thing has my testes a bit twisted so I may be sensative. 2 games does seem laughable and Tressels explanation is a bit convenient at best. But according to Smith the NCAA was involved in the investigation from the start. If that is the case why would they throw out some crazy low ball suspension? I am really curious as to what the precedent is for violating bylaw 10.1? If it is a couple games, no matter how much you hate Ohio State, its hard to argue.

I know, I just think this whole thing has my testes a bit twisted so I may be sensative. 2 games does seem laughable and Tressels explanation is a bit convenient at best. But according to Smith the NCAA was involved in the investigation from the start. If that is the case why would they throw out some crazy low ball suspension? I am really curious as to what the precedent is for violating bylaw 10.1? If it is a couple games, no matter how much you hate Ohio State, its hard to argue.

UGA just self reported 5 violations today. They all relate to Ray Drew, who signed with UGA a couple weeks ago, asked Randall Godfrey and David Pollack to be at his signing day announcement. Well, evidently it is against NCAA rules for explayers of a program to be at the signing day events...

UGA just self reported 5 violations today. They all relate to Ray Drew, who signed with UGA a couple weeks ago, asked Randall Godfrey and David Pollack to be at his signing day announcement. Well, evidently it is against NCAA rules for explayers of a program to be at the signing day events...

Well it was a good time to report them. Nobody cares about Ray Drew and the Georgia violations today! On a related note, Oregon has to be excstatic about all of this. Did we already forget about them?

Well it was a good time to report them. Nobody cares about Ray Drew and the Georgia violations today! On a related note, Oregon has to be excstatic about all of this. Did we already forget about them?

No, I'm patiently waiting for one of their cheerleaders to come blow me, then and only then will I forget.

Good God!!!

BRB

Edited by SEC=UGA

I am really curious as to what the precedent is for violating bylaw 10.1? If it is a couple games, no matter how much you hate Ohio State, its hard to argue.

It'll be interesting what they hold the coach to. I mean, Dez Bryant lost the final 10 games of his senior season because of a lunch he had with Deion Sanders. Now, it wasn't because of the "actual" lunch, it was because he lied about it to the NCAA. Could withholding the truth for this long be constituted as lying? I mean did Tressel just come forward once the situation was exposed through another source? Its hard for the NCAA to look competent if they are going to throw the book at a player and let a coach (who has been there for 10+ years and should know better) off with a relatively low 2 game suspension.

That and it pisses me off personally because Nebraska plays Ohio State this year. We're the 6th game of the year when Pryor and the others have their first game back. Ohio State may still be favored, but I'd rather have the game with all coaches, players, and everything intact like it should be. Win or lose, it'd be a better measure of both programs if all this horsechit was settled in the year it actually happened.

I think Tressel's in deep doo doo myself.He made the NCAA look stupid.The kids get a five game suspension,but the coach,who knew all along and was contractually bound to reveal the information gets only two games?The two games are Akron and Toledo.

He sat on the info because he had a chance at a national title.I think five games is the least he gets.

I think Tressel's in deep doo doo myself.He made the NCAA look stupid.The kids get a five game suspension,but the coach,who knew all along and was contractually bound to reveal the information gets only two games?The two games are Akron and Toledo.

He sat on the info because he had a chance at a national title.I think five games is the least he gets.

They ought to make them play the SEC West next year as punishment.

• 1 month later...
Yep, saw that scroll on ESPN about the car dealership. Not sure if there is really fire or just smoke, but it can't be good.

Yeah, it's hard to say, could mean anything.

1) They were just a cheating machine

2) This is the kind of thing that goes on everywhere but they smell blood so the gloves are off.

3) There's actually nothing going on but the reporter figures it will stick because of the crap they're already guilty of.

Yeah, it's hard to say, could mean anything.

1) They were just a cheating machine

2) This is the kind of thing that goes on everywhere but they smell blood so the gloves are off.

3) There's actually nothing going on but the reporter figures it will stick because of the crap they're already guilty of.

I'm sure we'll find the answer in Tressel's book "The Winner's Manual: For the Game of Life"

Hard to believe they're picking on this program while the entirety of the SEC cheats like no other conference in the nation. Hell, UNC alone had to suspend half of their team last year... :wacko:

Hard to believe they're picking on this program while the entirety of the SEC cheats like no other conference in the nation. Hell, UNC alone had to suspend half of their team last year... :wacko:

I hear ya. Can't understand why, with all the proof they have, that they haven't lowered the boom on half of the SEC? It's coming ......

:tup: