[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

March Madness

Gopher

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bonehead foul of the year followed by the bonehead foul of the century in that Butler / Pitt game. What a final 7 seconds!

A game I'll never forget!!

Seems to be very inconsistent. I've seen times where they will spend literally 3-4 minutes, to determine if a shot beat the clock (shot or game clock), when it was fairly obvious to the viewers (after a quick replay... which takes a couple of seconds) that it did or did not. Not sure why it takes so long, in cases like those (where it's pretty clear). On the other hand, we have seen multiple instances, in the past couple of weeks, where the officials clearly SHOULD have gone to the monitor, but didn't. I'm speaking specifically about instances where the ball (or a player) went out of bounds, and the clock manager was quite a bit off, in when they stopped the clock... In most cases, not leaving enough time left on the clock.

The Big East championship was one example, and the UNC-Washington game was another. The excuse that there is a lag time between when the ball goes out, and when the whistle is blown, is weak. If that excuse is valid, then shouldn't there also be a lag time between when a ball goes through the basket, and when the clock operator stops the clock? Yet, we see those plays (scored baskets at the end of a game) reviewed, time and time again, to put an extra tenth (or 2-3 tenths) of a second back on the clock. Likewise, the excuse that it's not a mandatory review, but rather a play that the officials CAN choose to review, is also weak. With something as important as instant replay at the end of the game, they should be reviewing it if it's reviewable, not reviewing it if they feel like it. :wacko:

Like any sport, when instant reply starts being used, it raises all sorts of questions... Why review this, and not that, etc. Typically, it's because some plays are reviewable (by rule), and others are not. Like other sports (football and baseball are two examples), I'm sure NCAA basketball will do their best to improve the replay system. Some plays that are not reviewable may become reviewable, and other rules may be looked at (and potentially re-worded) as well.

I do agree though... It's frustrating to watch. You have one of the most exciting March's that I can remember, yet there seems to be a lot of questionable/inconsistent calls, on the part of the officials. On the other hand, like I said earlier, it's a thankless job... You never hear about what a great game the officials called (or, at least, very rarely), but it's always the first thing people want to talk about, when something goes wrong.