[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

U.S.A.

Brentastic

Pickled or fried, there's no slime. We do a tempura okra at Jujube that's great.

Have had it a few times prepared like that and it wasn't slimey, yet I couldn't get past all the other times I've had it when it was. Texture is hugh for me. Pretty flowers though

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes off the way because you keep unequivocally stating that's an unjust law. All I'm doing is playing devil's advocate and saying it's not for everyone.

I agree on the HOA, the more local the better. I'd rather city council not have any say in what my neighborhood does...

And what you're talking about having these things integrated into your landscaping is alot different than plopping down 5 large wood planters with no surrounding vegetation in a small yard, or at least it is to some people. In a case like yours, I'd like to think that no one would complain, and if they did that the city could use some discretion.

So, swammi saying what I should and shouldn't be able to plant in my yard, even if I don't live in the same neighborhood as he does is not "overbearing" but me saying I don't want him telling me what I can put in my yard means I insist everyone agrees with me? I don't care if swammi agrees with what I think looks good in my front yard and he's free to do what he wants with his.

And you just agreed that it should be a neighborhood by neighborhood thing.

As far as integration vs boxes, again, now we've gotten in to a very gray area. Is it the boxes? Or what I plant in them? Because, one could cover one's front yard with raised beds and then fill those raised beds with flowers and shrubs. Is that cool?

I'm just trying to point out how random and absurd the distinction is because I'd imagine most would agree that random laws should be examined and at least changed if not removed.

As for your last point, so now we're back to the city using discretion. Why don't they just use discretion right off the bat? Again, if you're yard looks like crap, they make you fix it. Rather than approach it from the standpoint of "guilty of growing veggies" until the city decides you're OK, we just treat yards the same.

Does your yard look like hell? Yes? Fix it. No? Carry on. Everyone acts like I'm the one trying to involve the city but it seems like they already are.

Edited by detlef

Is it as good as the fried okra at Popeyes?

Let's put it this way. I'm a yankee cooking fried okra in the south and people bug us about when we're putting it back on the menu as summer approaches each year. :wacko:

If someone moved in across from me and put some huge garish fountain in the middle of his yard, I'd sure wish he didn't. But it's not my yard.

So yes, provided I'm not making a mess of my yard, then I think you should butt the hell out of it.

great. so live somewhere they don't have laws against cornfields and fountains in your front yard. and let people who DON'T want that crap in their neighborhoods live in places where they do. and if you live in a place where something is against the law and you know it and do it anyway, then don't whine about it when someone complains and the cops give you a ticket. it's really pretty simple.

great. so live somewhere they don't have laws against cornfields and fountains in your front yard. and let people who DON'T want that crap in their neighborhoods live in places where they do. and if you live in a place where something is against the law and you know it and do it anyway, then don't whine about it when someone complains and the cops give you a ticket. it's really pretty simple.

Kind of like this?

None the less, if the city you live in is not down with this, then sucks for you. Find another place to live or change the law. You can decide what laws you do and don't want to follow, but you can't complain when that bites you in the ass. You may think that, if booze is legal, than so should pot. Hell, I do. And, because of that, you can go ahead and smoke pot because you know in your heart that there's really nothing all that wrong with doing it. But tell that to the judge when you get popped for it. It's the chance you take. That is, until enough other people agree with you to change the law. It's the tyranny of the majority and it's something we've been living with for a long, long time.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but we don't actually solve any problems that plague society here. We just argue with one another about what laws are stupid and what laws are not.

I think swammi wanting to make restrictions like this on a city-wide level is completely stupid. Of course, if I lived in a city with enough swammis that do, I'd be chight out of luck. I get that.

But that's not what we do here. We don't make laws here, we argue about which ones are stupid and which ones are not.

So do you mandate that people should be allowed to grow rows of corn in their front yard, as long as they are neat rows? Because it sounds from your analogies above, you do. If I think corn is a pretty plant, I should be able to grow it in rows in the front yard of a home in a residential community? :wacko: Its exactly this thinking that had the law passed in the first place.

In essence, yes, why not.

:tup:

I just don't like the precedent it sets when swammi gets to decide what plants he thinks would look best in my yard.

I didn't decide. Elected officials representing the majority of the community in which YOU chose to live decided. Big difference.

I don't care if swammi agrees with what I think looks good in my front yard and he's free to do what he wants with his.

Not it this particular community we can't. I chose to live in this community with these guidelines, and you are disregarding the law. if the law changes, I might move. If it doesn't, beat it, redneck.

I think swammi wanting to make restrictions like this on a city-wide level is completely stupid. Of course, if I lived in a city with enough swammis that do, I'd be chight out of luck. I get that.

it appears you don't.

:wacko:

I didn't decide. Elected officials representing the majority of the community in which YOU chose to live decided. Big difference.

Not it this particular community we can't. I chose to live in this community with these guidelines, and you are disregarding the law. if the law changes, I might move. If it doesn't, beat it, redneck.

it appears you don't.

Once can understand that laws are laws and also think that any law that protects some whiner from having to look at someone's vegetable garden is an effing stupid law. Once again, this is a debate about the merits of that law. I'm pretty sure that we're not actually going to work an official ruling on anything.

So, the "it's the law, deal with it" schtick is not really worth bringing up. Because it doesn't matter. Not here. This is about defending the merits of what appears to be a rather random distinction between plants, as I could assuredly grow something just as big and tall as corn that's not a vegetable. Something that you may find just as unappealing. So what then? Do we outlaw that cultivar as well?

Edited by detlef

Page 4:

:tup: It's a law, it must be right and we must obey!!! The government is GOD!!!!!

Page 5:

Thank you. :rofl:

Page 6:

Robots love rules.

Page 7:

The chic is facing a 93 day jail sentence. While it probably won't happen, it could and that's not right.

Page 8

You momos are still arguing about this nonsense :lol:

:rofl:

Page 9

I started this thread and stopped caring on page 1.

:wacko: