[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYC suggestions

Bier Meister

we have 1 day in the city with our 6 year old daughter. thinking about:

- fao schwartz

- empire state building

- central park (if we do, what shall we focus on? not compelled to do the zoo)

- the met (or other museums that might be child friendly)

- possibly a show (you guys know good places to get a deal? thinking about lion king...open to other ideas)

- any must tries for lunch/desserts/snacks?

FAO Schwarz is a good call. Central Park is nice during the day and your daughter can play.

You have to eat at a deli in Manhattan (like the Carnegie Deli). Great food!!

The Met or a show may not keep your daughter entertained for long. When my daughters were 6, their attention spans were not the greatest.

FAO Schwarz should be fun for a 6 year old. If you want to go to a museum, I would go to the Museum of Natural History. That is more child-friendly IMO (dinosaurs, interactive exhibits, other interesting things). I grew up going to both of those museums as well as others and as a child the Museum of Natural History was my favorite. Both FAO Schwarz and the Museum of Natural History are at Central Park (different parts of the park, though), so you have easy access to the park from either place.

You can get a horse and carriage ride at the entrance to Central Park near FAO Schwarz. Wollman Rink is also right by the entrance to Central Park across the street from FAO Schwarz. Here is a link to Central Park's website: http://www.centralpa...llman-rink.html. I haven't been to Wollman Rink in a long time, but according to the website: "During the summer months, fun on the ice is replaced with the Victorian Gardens. Amusement activities geared for children 2 – 12 years old whirl and swirl and tug and toot in the air, on land and over water." Seems like a fun day for your kid with lots of things to do.

Edited by RC94

As far as food is concerned, I work a block away from FAO Schwarz and I have yet to find a must-eat place on an everyday budget near there. It's all food places for tourists. That said, there is one thing I would try if you like German food like Bratwurst or Kielbasa. There is a food cart on the northwest corner 54th and 5th (just a few blocks from Central Park and FAO Schwarz) that sells German food like that. He makes great food, although I don't generally picture a 6 year old eating that. If she does like that you can get something there and eat it in the park. I go there for lunch pretty often. I am not sure if he is there on weekends, though. I can give you other places to eat near FAO Schwarz (and my office) but I wouldn't say any of them are must-eat places on your 1 day in NYC. It mainly depends on how much time you will have and where you want to be in the city. If you wind up at the Museum of Natural History there is a Shake Shack at Columbus and 77th, which is basically across the street from the museum. They have good burgers and fries. Here is the link to their website http://www.shakeshack.com/location/upper-west-side/.

we don't have a plan for the day yet. i'll be looking at a map over the next few days to figure out the logistics.... so i am not sure where we will be around lunch time...i could also easily graze as i go (hit a good spot for fries, cupcakes, cuban, whatever)

we have 1 day in the city with our 6 year old daughter. thinking about:

- fao schwartz

- empire state building

- central park (if we do, what shall we focus on? not compelled to do the zoo)

- the met (or other museums that might be child friendly)

- possibly a show (you guys know good places to get a deal? thinking about lion king...open to other ideas)

- any must tries for lunch/desserts/snacks?

It's been years, but there was a good Turkish restaurant called Dalga. I think it was around 61st and York.

Bier - just a few ideas

If you go way downtown (South Street Seaport area) you can hop aboard an old time schooner called The Pioneer http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/pioneer-tour. Pretty awesome sunset tour - near Statue of Liberty and NY Harbor. Took my daughter when she was about 6 and she loved it.

A quicker tour - fun - you get wet (mates douse you with water guns, etc.) is aboard The Beast - a speed boat for about 40 passengers (cheap yet fun) http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/cruise-details.aspx?id=5. They go out of the west side of Manhattan, near the Intrepid (which now has the Space Shuttlecraft on display - I think).

Downtown eats: Katz' Deli (best in the City for those in the know) http://katzsdelicatessen.com/. Or try "The Meatball Shop" - Both on Lower East Side - good neighborhood. The Meatball Shop is inexpensive, but you would appreciate the quality & level of chef (I know very well). Two locations in Manhattan (the one I mentioned and one in the West Village) http://www.themeatballshop.com/

good suggestions chargerz, fw and rc. deli might work. i think she would love a play, but agree that a museum might be pushing it. daughter does like germanic food (we spent most of her life in the mountains of colorado and i worked in vail). i have made the family plenty of fondue, brats, kraut, spaeztle, schnitzel, potato salad, etc. the sunset tour sounds great and right up our alley-> though we are trying to get together with you guys and/or do lion king.

i guess for restaurants i am thinking bistros, trattorias, tapas bars... or uniqueness like cocoa at serendipity, etc

Edited by Bier Meister