[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christian McCaffrey

kdko

I'm really high on him, and think he could put up RB1 numbers this year.  They spent a first round pick, and are trying to think of any, and every way to get him more touches.  He's an elite receiver, has incredible game speed, great vision, and possesses one of the nastiest cuts of any player in the league.  His biggest knock right now, is the uncertainty of his ceiling with Cam as his QB.  Cam's known to be a ball hog in the red zone, and between the 20's will often run the ball himself in a scramble instead of dump it off.  Also, that he only had 1 bench press at the combine, so he might not be strong enough for blocking or stiff arms.  Good luck trying to catch this guy in the open field.  He won't need to stiff arm when he's breaking ankles.

I think there's a strong chance with this revamped offense that a lot of these tendencies of Cam's will look to be changed, and I think this offense is going to want to feature McCaffery.  They want a return on their investment.  He's the real deal, and NFL ready imo.  Besides being a product of eugenics, he's been learning football from his father who was NFL vet of 13 years.  I think you can get a return on him in the 3rd round as is, and the upside is going to be there.  He's a game changer.   I think he'll outperform Fournette (who's ADP is ridiculous), Jeffery, A-Rob, Mixon...all guys going around the same range.

Edit: yes, I am Christian McCaffrey

Edited by kdko

Unless they are still using a two back system I'm not buying it.  Jonathon Stewart was top 5 rb talent when drafted, but could never get enough touches because of deangelo.  I haven't seen top 5 rb numbers since deangelo's 20 td season and Stephen Davis pre-deangelo. This reminds me of Reggie bush/deuce McAllister but in a calm newton run offense that offers few receptions or red zone opportunities for running backs 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rekroot said:

Unless they are still using a two back system I'm not buying it.  Jonathon Stewart was top 5 rb talent when drafted, but could never get enough touches because of deangelo.  I haven't seen top 5 rb numbers since deangelo's 20 td season and Stephen Davis pre-deangelo. This reminds me of Reggie bush/deuce McAllister but in a calm newton run offense that offers few receptions or red zone opportunities for running backs 

The thing is the McCaffery isn't just a scat back like Reggie Bush.  Contrary to what some believe, McCaffrey is a between the tackles runner, with his excellent vision and burst.  He showed that in college on the way to breaking all of Barry Sanders' records.  Jonathan Stewart has had a very mediocre career, and is not the future of this team.  McCaffrey will be liming up all over the field and get plenty of opportunity.  I should also state that I exclusively play PPR.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.  This kid continues to look great in preseason.  

The real question is how many touches is he going to see a game?  I don't think 7-9 runs, and 6 targets a game is out of the question.  In fact, I think that's the reality.  128 carries over the season, and 96 targets.  I'd venture to say 70 receptions, for 700 yards, and 120 carries for 600 yards.  8 TD's.  248 fantasy points.  That would have put him at about 38th overall last year in PPR, and 8th among RB's.  Buy this guy in the third round!

McCaffrey is looking good.  I want to like him.  I've been convinced that he might be a real running back, not just a gadget player.  But he is in a horrible situation.  Jonathan Stewart is the starting running back.  While Stewart might just be average at running the ball at this point, he is still the best pass protecting running back in the NFL.  And the preservation of Cam Newton's health is of paramount importance.  Maybe Carolina will figure out some creative ways to get McCaffrey on the field and the ball in his hands.  Maybe Cam will learn to embrace the short passing game.  Maybe Stewart will get hurt.  Lots of maybes, little that is definitive.  It would require a lot of faith to use a third round pick on a player who projects to only be a part-time player this year.

• Like 1

i have pick 21 in a 12 teamer in the 2nd round....im weighing mccaffrey heavily now there....if he even makes it that far...draft its next tuesday.....

regardless of who else is there..i find it hard to believe you spend that high of a pick on an offensive player like that if you dont plan to feature him from the get go

all i keep hearing is how basically no linebacker can cover him...then u saw that catch he had where he was basically going to break left or right on a linebacker...and that backer basically had to guess and he guessed wrong and mccaffrey was wideeeeee open.....there is no way to keep this guy off the field.....

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

3 hours ago, indyrckstar said:

He reminds of some Danny Woodhead or Darian Sproles with not being the biggest guy but versatile, fast and quick decision making.

Not sure the touches will be there for him.

Where else will the targets be going?  They spent the 8th overall pick on him.  McCaffrey is going to be the guy between the 20's.  I don't see how they get him less than 15 touches a game.  He's a difference maker on the field.

23 hours ago, kdko said:

Where else will the targets be going?  They spent the 8th overall pick on him.  McCaffrey is going to be the guy between the 20's.  I don't see how they get him less than 15 touches a game.  He's a difference maker on the field.

Agreed on seems like being a difference maker.  

I hope he gets that many touches (Panther fan).  My guess is it will be a mix of carries for him, Newton and Stewart.   Christian being used in passing game will help his value in PPR leagues.

4 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

Agreed on seems like being a difference maker.  

I hope he gets that many touches (Panther fan).  My guess is it will be a mix of carries for him, Newton and Stewart.   Christian being used in passing game will help his value in PPR leagues.

And I think the passing game is where he's going to shine.  I truly think he is the best receiver on their team, K-Benj included.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

im actually kind of shocked at the huddles refusal to endorse mccaffrey right now....have him at 51 in the top 200 ppr....if i was playing in a league with guys following the huddles rankings i would laugh all the way to the bank

youve got cook at 21...and mccaffrey at 51....what am i missing?

No idea, I'm kind of perplexed by it too.  This guy is the most exciting player of the draft.

14 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

Curious, what's your ranking to the 5 rookie RBs?

Since I only play PPR, and based on my projections for this year:

McCaffrey

Cook

Fournette

Mixon

Hunt

6-10:

Cohen

Perine

Williams

Foreman

Kamara

On 8/7/2017 at 1:05 PM, kdko said:

Jonathan Stewart has had a very mediocre career,

You should really look closely at his yearly stat lines before making an outrageously false statement. I can point you to PFF if you need help. 

2 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

You should really look closely at his yearly stat lines before making an outrageously false statement. I can point you to PFF if you need help. 

Why waste my time?  I know what I said, and I meant it.  He's finished only 3 full seasons out of 9, and only finished above 1,000 yards once.  He's been employed this long simply because he can block.  Mediocre.

2 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

And yeah...don't waste your time. :lol: 

Noted.  If you can't string an original thought together to defend your asinine point and instead try to blindly redirect me elsewhere for someone else to do so, you're doing nothing but wasting mine and everyone else's time.  A+ posting :clap:

1 minute ago, kdko said:

Noted.  If you can't string an original thought together to defend your asinine point and instead try to blindly redirect me elsewhere for someone else to do so, you're doing nothing but wasting mine and everyone else's time.  A+ posting :clap:

Well if you've followed along, which I doubt with your whimsical humor as evidence, I'm pretty sure I'm wasting nobody's time. Matter of fact, I'm wasting my time replying to you. First "block" of the season. Congrats. :tup:

1 hour ago, kdko said:

6-10:

Cohen

Perine

Williams

Foreman

Kamara

Do you really feel Kamara is that low?  especially in PPR, I know he is buried in a deep offense, but I think he will be a huge contributor.  not saying 1-5 but definitely closer to 6 than 10.

Just now, Cfarst79 said:

Do you really feel Kamara is that low?  especially in PPR, I know he is buried in a deep offense, but I think he will be a huge contributor.  not saying 1-5 but definitely closer to 6 than 10.

I feel like Ingram is too gifted in running and receiving to stay off the field despite Payton hating him, and they'll want to get their mileage out of AP given his contract.  I feel like Cadet is going to be the odd man out before the season starts, and Kamara will pick up his workload (50 or so targets, a handful of runs).  I think he's amazing as a dynasty pick, but this isn't his year for redraft.  I feel like he might have the hardest ladder to climb than any other RB on that list.

I agree he definitely has the hardest ladder to climb, he's only an injury or two away from grabbing a huge opportunity.  Both backs ahead have had there share of injuries.  Definitely a dynasty grab ahead of the other backs listed though.

• Like 1