[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you do when a disruptive manager is...your boss?

Alphashado

17 hours ago, whomper said:

These Aholes that are getting up at 2 am cannot be glossed over. That was a major major problem in my league too and forced us to completely change our waiver system.. Yes its for money, yes its not against the rules blah blah blah , bottom line is you are a Dbag if you are doing this . We changed our waiver system to where we run waivers every night from Wednesday to Friday and I then Manually open FCFS on Saturday morning at 9. I have to frigging remember to do this every week and sometimes get up earlier than I want to on the weekend . I also have to remember to switch it back every sunday when the game starts . We use CBS which supports this . Auction would not be a good option with my crew

The league is mostly fellow employees. We all work different rotating swing shifts at the same facility. So at any given time, one or more members of the league are working midnight shift, Then the following week, while those members are sleeping or whatever, one or more other members are working midnight shift. Your approach would be reasonable if everyone in the league worked a 9-5, mon- fri day shift job, but that is not the case here.

For example, if I were to manually lock FAs until 9am Saturday like you do, then it would still be a disadvantage for both the guy working day shift that Saturday and the guy working midnight shift the Friday beforehand.

So in our case, I disagree anyone is a Dbag for setting an alarm if they want to wake up to browse the FA list after waivers are processed because on any given Wednesday morning, at 2am, several members of the league may actually be sitting in the break room at work. Then the following week, those guys are sleeping while a different set of guys are sitting in the break room at 2am. Working a swing shift, you grow accustomed to altering your life and making adjustments. The ONLY fair option is to leave it be so the waivers process at the same time every week. 2am or 9am would literally make no difference here.

Everyone in the league was perfectly fine with the system before this jerk joined and started whining about it.

He did what he did just because he wanted to be disruptive. So he could laugh about it and point at himself and say "look what I did". He literally gets off on anything he can do that will direct attention in his direction.

Bottom line is the guy is a whiny, selfish a$$hole. Inviting him to this league was the biggest mistake I ever made. There is no happy ending here.

Let this be a lesson to all commissioners- DO NOT invite a boss to your league.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

Why not reread the empmoyee handbook and see if he has broken any company policies about gambling with his staff / code of conduct violations and get him fired.  "He told me if i didnt accept this trade..." 

Edit - or sudjest he should leave end of the year because it could be a violation or raise the issue with him that other members of the league feel uncomfortable with him in the league as their  (assumption here, that he is more then just your boss) supervisor.   This still requires you as the commish to have the conversation

Edited by millworkguy

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

Why not reread the empmoyee handbook and see if he has broken any company policies about gambling with his staff / code of conduct violations and get him fired.  "He told me if i didnt accept this trade..." 

Edit - or sudjest he should leave end of the year because it could be a violation or raise the issue with him that other members of the league feel uncomfortable with him in the league as their  (assumption here, that he is more then just your boss) supervisor.   This still requires you as the commish to have the conversation

Shirley you jest

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 0:44 PM, boltnlava said:

Disagree youll be known as a whiny enchilada bringing bs illegal (company rules)  garbage to higher ups who feel they have much better things to do than try to control a ff league wasting company time.  

Disagree?  I was questioning the sanity of the person suggesting that they bother management with their petty dispute.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2017 at 9:07 AM, Alphashado said:

So I've been Commissioner of many, many leagues over the years. I've handled countless problems, addressed countless issues, removed  disruptive/rude players, replaced them etc. You name it, odds are I've seen it and dealt with it.

But this time it's different. Last year coworkers talked me into inviting my foreman at work. At first everything was fine, then about halfway through the season last year, he became "that guy". You know the guy. Always complaining about the rules, posting messages on the message boards complaining about everything under the sun. He even went so far as to suggest (openly) that I rigged the rules to help myself somehow.

I should mention that I take great pride in running my leagues as fair as possible. I am completely open to any and all rule changes and if a change is suggested, and there is enough interest, I will put the proposed change up for a vote. If a majority of managers vote for the rule change, I make it happen. I run my leagues more like a Democracy. I am very fair, honest, and would never EVER do anything underhanded or unfair. So I take particular insult to the notion that I am somehow cheating or using my position to give myself some kind of advantage.

Now this year it's even worse. And most baffling to me is that he's 4-2 and in 2nd place.. yet he's STILL whining about the waiver system. (even though the current system was voted on by the league).

So this morning I found out that he put in 40 waiver claims last night. Yes, you read that correctly. Managers were setting their alarms to wake up at 2am (more power to them) to get first nabs at players that cleared waivers. Yahoo doesn't DISPLAY waiver transactions until 1-3 hours after they process at server time, but you can pick up FA as soon as they process. In other words, you can pick up FAs at 2am CST even though players claimed on waivers don't display until 3am-5am.

Everyone in my league is well aware you can pick up FA at 2am. It's no secret. I even remind everyone of this each year during the draft.

But he doesn't like it. He doesn't like that people get up at 2am to get first crack at available Free Agents. So, in order to prevent people from doing this, he literally put in a waiver claim for every single player that someone might be interested in grabbing (this displays them on waivers at 2am instead of FA)

It was a dirty, underhanded tactic intentionally designed to disrupt the league. Normally at this point I would ask him to just leave.

But I can't.

Because he's my boss....

I'm open to any feedback from other commissioners on how you would handle this situation while I consider my options. I don't want to disrupt the league any further. I just want myself and the other managers to have fun. That's what it's all about right? But running the league is no fun for me anymore when I have to deal with a guy like this.

Part of me wants to just finish out the season and let the league dissolve. I'm hesitant to kick out my boss and risk years of crappy work assignments, but I am even less interested in running a league with him in it.

Make this a learning experience and don't invite immature people into your league. Make it clear before the season of what the rules are (ALL of them) and that if anyone acts immature during the season, they will no longer be invited in the future and may even get kicked out during the season if it disrupts the league too much (you taking over as interim owner, until you find a replacement) - as well as forfeiting their league fees. As long as you're fair, then you're fine. Treat your boss the same way as you would at work - diplomatically and mature. If I were you, I would've never invited a boss/superior to your fantasy league (unless I set the rules before the season started). When you invite someone with that kind of power (and immaturity) into your league, you're asking for trouble. Just finish out the season, and then talk it over with him in the off-season. If he's not willing to change for the better, tell him that you and the other owners do not want him back (based on league votes), based on his attitude and behavior. If you think he'll give you crappy work assignments, then either start looking for a new job or take it up with HR. Obviously, taking it up with HR is a bad idea - career-wise. But it is an option. Fortunately, the league I'm in has never had issues regarding this (mainly because it's mostly family and we discuss things in a civil manner). The league is reaching it's 20th year next year.

Edited by LuckyBub
Forfeiting sounds better than forgoing

35 minutes ago, LuckyBub said:

Make this a learning experience and don't invite immature people into your league. Make it clear before the season of what the rules are (ALL of them) and that if anyone acts immature during the season, they will no longer be invited in the future and may even get kicked out during the season if it disrupts the league too much (you taking over as interim owner, until you find a replacement) - as well as forfeiting their league fees. As long as you're fair, then you're fine. Treat your boss the same way as you would at work - diplomatically and mature. If I were you, I would've never invited a boss/superior to your fantasy league (unless I set the rules before the season started). When you invite someone with that kind of power (and immaturity) into your league, you're asking for trouble. Just finish out the season, and then talk it over with him in the off-season. If he's not willing to change for the better, tell him that you and the other owners do not want him back (based on league votes), based on his attitude and behavior. If you think he'll give you crappy work assignments, then either start looking for a new job or take it up with HR. Obviously, taking it up with HR is a bad idea - career-wise. But it is an option. Fortunately, the league I'm in has never had issues regarding this (mainly because it's mostly family and we discuss things in a civil manner). The league is reaching it's 20th year next year.

If he continues to be disruptive during the season, then call an emergency meeting between you, him and the other owners. Someone in his position should know better, but I guess he doesn't. If he doesn't start behaving, then tell him that he is no longer in the league and that he'll be forfeiting his league fees and will no longer be invited in the future, based on the votes from the other owners. Make sure the other owners understand this as well. You should've made the rules clear before the season started, to avoid this kind of mess.

6 hours ago, LuckyBub said:

If he continues to be disruptive during the season, then call an emergency meeting between you, him and the other owners. Someone in his position should know better, but I guess he doesn't. If he doesn't start behaving, then tell him that he is no longer in the league and that he'll be forfeiting his league fees and will no longer be invited in the future, based on the votes from the other owners. Make sure the other owners understand this as well. You should've made the rules clear before the season started, to avoid this kind of mess.

You cant take someone’s $250 entry fee and team because you don’t like how they are acting. That’s a very quick way to create a serious problem for yourself, especially when by the rules he’s not doing anything wrong. It was said in a previous post that the only thing it’s doing is “showing” players available at at different time. The only thing he’s doing is wasting his own time, which is something he’s free to do as he pleases

Edited by jamesplante11