[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Integrity

JHo1

Looking for comments and opinions. Here is the situation. We have an 8 team league that is down to 7 (long story) at mid season. Top 4 make playoffs.  I am locked into 3rd place and possibly 2nd. We have a guy in our league that said after losing on a Monday night (where league commish told another team to play WR for Rams and bench Watkins) that his roster was set for the rest of the year.  Basically checking out and done. Well just this week that player traded Kamara to the first place team for Drake, Landry, and C Davis.  Bunch of garbage players IMO. The first place team has had Gordon and Gurley all season. He has only played Landry more than 3 weeks, the other 2 (Davis and Drake) have not played in more than 3 games.  The other trade went to the 4th place team and it was essentially Evans for Adams.  I have Rodgers on my team and we could meet in the playoffs. He justified it as Adams and Evans have similar numbers.  But really who would you want in the playoffs?

I am mad because essentially a team that quit started making trades with buddies and playoff teams.  My team has been scoring well last few weeks.  Am I wrong to not think this is BS?  I mean Kamara and Adams off your team for what is essentially garbage.  And the fact that this GM said his roster was set and he was done...throwing in the towel.

• Like 1

That's why in our league we don't allow any teams that are absolutely out of playoff contention to trade with any playoff potential teams. One trade was veto'd for this specific reason this year. You should get that rule implemented for next year. First trade is garbage. Evans for Adams isn't bad.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I agree, the Evans for Adams trade isn't bad....but the only reason the 4th place team wanted to do it is so he could potentially play Adams versus me in the playoffs if I play Rodgers.  As it is, I may just ride Ben Roethlisberger out at QB over Rodgers rest of the season.  Playoffs would be week 15 and 16. 

• Like 1

You've got bigger issues than this trade,

First off why is the commissioner telling any team who have in their line-up?  Based on your post that had something to do with the owner checking out, then making those trades. So clearly he is pissed he lost (presume that impacted playoff chances) and he's reacting. 

Second the loss of that 8th team, how does a 7 team league even work?  

The trades, yes that's some garbage there, best to have a trade deadline, ours passed the week before Thanksgiving games, I don't think anybody was out of the playoffs then. But we are a keeper league and often see trades of talent for draft pick/prospects late in the season. (I traded Greg Olsen for Josh Reynolds and a 10th round pick). Sure locking teams out of the playoffs from trades in a redraft is fair, but better make sure you have a good commish who can figure out playoff chances with more than just a week or two left in the playoffs. Or have a reputable commish that would overturn trades that are clearly player dumping. 

I have mixed feelings on the whole "teams eliminated from the playoffs shouldn't make moves" thing.  On one hand, I get it.  You are eliminated, why make moves.  But on the other hand, the games you are playing  still affect the other teams in the league and you owe it to them to try to win.  In one of my leagues, someone gave up weeks ago.  Problem is, they are now taking an automatic loss every week and some of the teams that they are now playing will get an easy win and make the playoffs because of it.

But it's one thing to "give up" and not making any more moves.  But it's another to give up a top player in exchange for nothing.  First off, I don't understand why your league still allows trades this week into the season.  All of mine had a trade deadline at least a week ago if not longer.  Second, how can the guy giving up Kamara justify that trade.  I would have no issue with the other trade.  But not the Kamara trade.

I would really throw a fit on that trade and probably leave the league over it.  

2 hours ago, char92474 said:

I have mixed feelings on the whole "teams eliminated from the playoffs shouldn't make moves" thing.  On one hand, I get it.  You are eliminated, why make moves.  But on the other hand, the games you are playing  still affect the other teams in the league and you owe it to them to try to win.  In one of my leagues, someone gave up weeks ago.  Problem is, they are now taking an automatic loss every week and some of the teams that they are now playing will get an easy win and make the playoffs because of it.

But it's one thing to "give up" and not making any more moves.  But it's another to give up a top player in exchange for nothing.  First off, I don't understand why your league still allows trades this week into the season.  All of mine had a trade deadline at least a week ago if not longer.  Second, how can the guy giving up Kamara justify that trade.  I would have no issue with the other trade.  But not the Kamara trade.

I would really throw a fit on that trade and probably leave the league over it.  

Knowing more about the league rules, and the rosters of the teams involved MIGHT provide some insight and justification for the Kamara trade. But not in this case, because its pretty clear the Kamara owner is pissed and has quit, helping another team get much better. 

Either way, if the C. Davis is TEN WR Corey Davis, I'd hardly call him and Landry (having a down year) garbage players as the OP has. On par with Kamara nope, but its also 3 players for one, the team with Kamara may need a lot of help at WR. If it was a keeper/dynasty, or Kamara owner not out of it and tanking, it might be fair. 

The reason I have such a big problem with this trade is that the one owner said he was done for the year before trading Kamara away.  If he didn't say that, it would still be a pretty lopsided trade but I'd need additional information before judging it (did he need wrs really bad?  Did he shop around Kamara and this was the best offer he got in return, are there some sort of keeper stipulations that would justify the trade).

But to admit you are done, then trade away your best player to the first place team for 3 guys I'm guessing the other team never started is beyond shady.  

I don't allow trade vetos in my league.  But on the couple occasions where a trade is made and people get upset, I ask both sides to justify why they made the trade.  On every occasion, the team that got the worst of the trade had reasoning for why they made the trade.  I may not necessarily agree with their reason, but they at least had a reason.  This usually ends the complaining.

To make things easy in this case, I would simply ask the guy who traded Kamara away why he agreed to this trade after he said he was giving up (which is the key detail for me).  If he doesn't have a valid reason (which I really doubt he could supply) I would reverse the trade and not let him in the league next year.

• Like 1