[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WiFi security/donation of old computer

MojoMan

I have several questions for the computer mavens.

This weekend, I purchased a Toshibo Qosimo laptop as a desktop replacement (almost necessary since this thing is a monster). Obviously, this thing has both an ethernet port and WiFi.

Since it's going to sit on my desk most of the time, I intend to turn off the WiFi antenna and use the internet port to my cable modem.

Question 1: With the WiFi antenna off, is this just as secure as my old desktop with cable modem to ethernet setup? I have decent anti-virus (Symantec).

I bought a wireless router too just for the heck of it (only $20 after rebates). The CompUSA used car salesman encouraged me to buy a software program called "Net Sweep" or something like that. The second word of the name was "sweep." He said that this was a security program specifically for wireless. I had the wireless antenna on for a while and it found several signals (I live in a large apartment building so it kinda figures). One of the signal strengths was "excellent" and most of the others sucked. However, I noticed that "my" signal said "unsecure" as did some of the others.

Questions 2 and 3: I assume that those around me can pick up my wireless signal too. Does this pose any kind of problem for me? Also, is it a problem that, if I choose to use my wireless router, that it says "unsecure?"

I bought a software program that transfers everything but the applications from the old PC to the new one using a USB cable. Did that and it seemed to work perfectly. The software allegedly contains a program that cleans your old hard drive so you can give the computer away or sell it.

Question 4: Can this software be trusted? I heard that scumbags can still retrieve data from a hard drive, even if you reformat it several times. Would it be safer to donate it to a church or non-profit than a school (I'm assuming there are more hacker types in a school)?

Question 5: I have used this computer to apply online for a credit card and I used it for online banking etc. Is this information stored on this hard drive?

I thank you for your wisdom.

1) Yes, it is just as secure as your desktop.

2) Yes they can pick up your wireless signal as well. See #3.

3) Since they can pick up your wireless router signal and you have chosen not to secure it, they can cheerfully use your Wifi connection to cruise the Internet. There are many ways to secure your wireless connections, I would use a combination of them.

a) Do not broadcast your SSID. You can't connect to it if you don't know its name.

B) Enable encryption of the connection. 64 bit encryption is OK, 128 bit encryption is best.

c) Only allow certain MAC addresses to connect to your wireless network. The MAC address is the identification # of your network card in your computer. Each one is unique. If you only allow the MAC address of your new network wireless card to connect to your wireless network, then you can limit access to only yourself.

4) The reason that data can be recovered from a hard drive that has been formatted is that only the table that stores info about the filenames on the hard drive is removed, not the actual data itself. This is worse with a FAT formatted harddrive than with an NTFS formatted drive. Never do a quick format if you're trying to clean up the drive. Do a full format at least 7 times to completely render the drive unrecoverable. You can also do a low level format if you have the tools.

5) Probably not. At worst you may have cookies with information stored in it, but you're actual banking and or CC info isn't there.

Edited by Kid Cid

Question 1:  With the WiFi antenna off, is this just as secure as my old desktop with cable modem to ethernet setup?  I have decent anti-virus (Symantec).

I bought a wireless router too just for the heck of it (only $20 after rebates).  The CompUSA used car salesman encouraged me to buy a software program called "Net Sweep" or something like that.  The second word  of the name was "sweep."  He said that this was a security program specifically for wireless.  I had the wireless antenna on for a while and it found several signals (I live in a large apartment building so it kinda figures).  One of the signal strengths was "excellent" and most of the others sucked.  However, I noticed that "my" signal said "unsecure" as did some of the others.

Questions 2 and 3:  I assume that those around me can pick up my wireless signal too.  Does this pose any kind of problem for me?  Also, is it a problem that, if I choose to use my wireless router, that it says "unsecure?"

I

1469079[/snapback]

Q1: security is the same as your old one if you are using the ethernet port.

Q2/3: Yes others can see your network, but if you enable the wireless encryption on the router then they can't connect without the netword key. Check out the manual for the router, there will be a defaut IP address that you enter to access the router config. Create a password on the router and then enable the wireless encryption. It will create a set of network keys for you, then you can enter one of these in on the wireless connection wizard.

edit to add: see kid cid's breakdown, he has some better info there than I can offer.

Edited by wcd480

4) The reason that data can be recovered from a hard drive that has been formatted is that only the table that stores info about the filenames on the hard drive is removed, not the actual data itself. This is worse with a FAT formatted harddrive than with an NTFS formatted drive. Never do a quick format if you're trying to clean up the drive. Do a full format at least 7 times to completely render the drive unrecoverable. You can also do a low level format if you have the tools.

1469501[/snapback]

This is not accurate. Formatting won't destroy data, no matter how many times it's done. Data can be recovered.

Figure out how to use this utility if you want to securely wipe the drive.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

a) Do not broadcast your SSID. You can't connect to it if you don't know its name.

:D Enable encryption of the connection. 64 bit encryption is OK, 128 bit encryption is best.

c) Only allow certain MAC addresses to connect to your wireless network. The MAC address is the identification # of your network card in your computer. Each one is unique. If you only allow the MAC address of your new network wireless card to connect to your wireless network, then you can limit access to only yourself.

1469501[/snapback]

This is poor advice and will not secure your wireless network. Listen to this episode of Security Now to learn why.

Since you're not even using the wireless radio for anything, the best thing to do is see if your router allows you to disable the wireless functionality. If you can, turn off the radio. Use WPA not WEP encryption. Listen to this Episode of Security Now to learn why.

Edited by 10g_DBA

Pull your old hard drive out and hit it with a 20 pound sledge. Works off frustrations and is the only means I have seen to secure your data. :D

A school or charity will still take a machine without a HD.

Edited by jetsfan

I believe this will secure your wireless network. (if you use a linksys Router). This is info I had gotten off of my brother in law in the past.

How to secure your Linksys router

---------------------------------

First, login to your router. Typically, the router's default IP address is

192.168.1.1 (unless you changed it.) Open Internet Explorer and type:

http://192.168.1.1 in the Address Box.

You will be greeted by a log-in screen. Typically, the router's default login

and password is the following (unless you changed it.)

User name: linksys

Password: admin

You will be greeted by the Setup page. You want to click the Wireless Tab, then

click the Wireless Security Tab.

You will now the the Security Mode drop down menu. You have a few options for

security here:

The two I would strong recommend would be either WEP 128-bit or WPA-Pre-Shared

Key. Whatever option you choose, your PC software must be able to accept these

codes as well. If your software supports it, I would recommend WPA-Pre-Shared

Key as the encryption is stonger than WEP 128bit. If your software dosen't

support WPA-Pre-Shared Key, your next best option is WEP 128-Bit.

Setting to WPA-Pre Shared Key:

------------------------------

You will have 3 options. WPA Algorithms, WPA Shared Key, Group Key Renewal

Set WPA-Algorithms to TKIP

WPA Shared Key is a "password." Whatever you decide to place in this box, you

must place the SAME password into your PC software as well in order to work.

Only computers with this password are allowed to connect to your wireless

network.

Keep Group Key Renewal at it's default setting.

Press Save Settings. Once these settings are in your PC you can connect to the

web just as normal.

Setting to WEP 128-Bit:

-----------------------

You will have 7 options here:

Set Default Transmit Key to 1

Set WEP Encyption to 128-Bit 26 hex digits

Passphase is a "password." Whenever you decide what you want your password to

be, press the Generate button. Once you do that, it will create random letters

and numbers in the Key 1, 2, 3 & 4 box. These random numbers and letters are

the password you chose but is encrypted. You must take those digits displayed

in Key 1 and put that into your PC software. Without this, your computers will

not be abled to connect to your wireless network.

Press Save Settings. Once these settings are in your PC you can connect to the

web just as normal.

Notes:

------

If your login is still set to the default (username: linksys and password:

admin) change it !NOW!. An unsecured router can fall into the hands of ANYBODY

within 1500 feet of it. If you don't want to become the neighborhood access

point, change this password, enable your encryption and shut off

SSID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10g_DBA are you scared of everything?  How many copies of Catcher in the Rye do you own?

:D

edit to fix my very worthy debate opponet's name

1470160[/snapback]

If you want to know the truth I don't know what I think about it....Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

If you want to know the truth I don't know what I think about it....Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

1470222[/snapback]

Those dirty b@stards in the nWo are back with microscopic mind control helicopters, and all this time I thought Vince McMahon disbanded them when he beat down Ric Flair. :doah:

Oh, and I also found some new info on the :D that you may find disheartening. It turns out that they could actually enhance the mind control signals from the government and corporations. MIT study

I got your back buddy.

edit to change b@stard autoedit (it changes it to "good buddy", that doesn't even make sense)

Edited by wcd480

Those dirty b@stards in the nWo are back with microscopic mind control helicopters, and all this time I thought Vince McMahon disbanded them when he beat down Ric Flair.  :doah:

Oh, and I also found some new info on the :D that you may find disheartening.  It turns out that they could actually enhance the mind control signals from the government and corporations.  MIT study

I got your back buddy.

edit to change b@stard autoedit (it changes it to "good buddy", that doesn't even make sense)

1470321[/snapback]

Ah, that explains it. My troubles all started when one day I was wearing my :D too close to the microwave. Since then, every time I read Catcher in the Rye, I get a craving for a COX2 inhibitor.

:dart eyes and look over shoulder:

Ah, that explains it.  My troubles all started when one day I was wearing my :D too close to the microwave.  Since then, every time I read Catcher in the Rye, I get a craving for a COX2 inhibitor.

:dart eyes and look over shoulder:

1470378[/snapback]

:D:D:D