[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CRT, LCD, DLP or Plasma?

soopanuts

I'm looking to buy a new main TV, for somewhere between $750 and $1000. I'd like to get something between 32-40 inches, and it must be HD. My wife and I will watch plenty of movies and TV (especially NFL), but I will also do a lot of gaming (PS2 and evenually PS2).

I'm pretty sure my budget eliminates plasmas. I've heard good things about DLPs. Are all LCDs hard to see from a diagonal? I'd love to hear any suggestions/info/advice you may.

Guest Cherni

LCD's are a little tough from an angle. If you have a LCD monitor on your pc you can test that out.

I'm hearing pretty good things about DLP. It's like plasma but the resolution is a little less. To the human eye I don't know if a few lines of resolution makes a difference. If that's your budget, check out LCD and DLP at a best buy or something. I bet you won't see that much of a difference b/w a $2500 and a $1000 tv.

Thanks I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of?.  Anyone else have an opinion?  I'd especially be interested in hearing from anyone how recently purchased a TV and has done some research.

1249591[/snapback]

Search the Tailgate for DLP, HDTV or whatever - this has been discussed here a ton of times recently.

LCD TVs

Like flat-panel computer displays, these thin sets have a backlight and thousands of red, green, and blue pixels that open or close to let light through, creating colorful images.

Quick take: Trendy flat screen with decent picture quality, but larger screen sizes are more expensive than other types of TVs.

Common screen sizes: 14 to 37-plus inches.

Typical selling prices: About $1,000 to $1,500 for a 26-inch wide-screen HD-ready set; $1,200 to $2,000 for a 32-inch. Prices could drop sharply this year.

Pros: Thin and light. Can be wall-mounted. The best (generally HD sets) are capable of displaying very good, bright images. Antireflective screen minimizes glare from bright light. No risk of burn-in of static images.

Cons: Price goes up sharply as screens get bigger. Most sets can't display deep black or distinguish subtle shades of gray and black. Fast-moving images may blur. Image may dim as you angle away from center of screen, especially up and down. Long-term reliability not yet known, but our initial data indicate low rate of repairs during first year of use.

Plasma TVs

Flat-panel, big-screen TVs with thousands of red, green, and blue pixels that are activated by "plasma"; these work somewhat like fluorescent lights, creating very bright images.

Quick take: Big, bright screens with a real wow factor, but expensive.

Common screen sizes: 42 to 60 inches.

Typical selling prices: About $2,500 to $3,000 for a 42-inch HD-ready set, $3,500 to $4,500 for a 50-incher.

Pros: Thin and light enough to be wall-mounted. The best (generally HD sets) are capable of displaying excellent images with high brightness and contrast and crisp detail. No limit on viewing angle. Bigger sizes are cheaper than LCD TVs of comparable size.

Cons: Shiny surface can produce annoying reflections in bright lighting. Brightness dims over time. Use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. Fixed items displayed for long periods can leave ghosted image. Some sets don't include speakers or a tuner. Long-term reliability not yet known, but our initial data indicate low rate of repairs during first year of use.

Rear-projection (CRT-based)

Jumbo sets that beam images onto a screen from three small CRTs inside.

Quick take: The lowest-cost big screens, but they're space hogs.

Common screen sizes: 47 to 60 inches.

Typical selling prices: About $1,000 for a 51-inch integrated HD set.

Pros: Low price, wide selection, plentiful features. Mature technology proven to have decent reliability.

Cons: Picture quality ranks lowest overall among all TV types. Big, bulky, and heavy--more than 200 pounds for largest. Image may dim as you angle away from center of screen. Shiny surface can produce annoying reflections. Fixed items displayed for long periods can leave ghosted image.

I think this might be your best bet. I imagine PS3 games will look pretty cool on this bad boy.

Edit: I guess cnn has changed something up because they won't link to the article. Anyways, the story was about a new 103 inch plasma that Matsushucksa just developed.

Edited by geeteebee

I've been watching these for a while now and I have a pretty tight budget too. You won't find a good quality projection TV in that price range most likely. Not unless you are willing to buy refurbished or "off" brands.

You'd have a lot more luck and find better quality in the 1500 - 2000 range, IMO. I bought a Magnavox 32 inch LCD this summer and returned it in 3 days. Price was right, but the quality sucked. So, I'm saving my pennies.

Edit: Although you can find CRT ("tube") TVs in that range for 30 or 32". But those things are BULKY and ultra HEAVY. The picture is great.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Guest Cherni

Matsushucksa shows 103-inch plasma

Top seller of flat-screen TVs beats Samsung record; gives no indication when item will hit shelves.

January 5, 2006: 2:52 PM EST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Matsushucksa Electric Industrial, the maker of Panasonic products, said Thursday it has developed a prototype of a 103-inch plasma display panel, the world's largest such screen.

The prototype, which will be on display at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, appears to put Matsushucksa slightly ahead of South Korea's Samsung Electronics for bragging rights over who can develop the biggest flat-panel TV.

Samsung grabbed headlines at last year's CES by unveiling a 102-inch plasma display prototype. Neither company has made clear when or if these monster screens will actually reach store shelves or at what price.

Samsung boasts the largest plasma TV now on the market, having started sales of an 80-inch model in South Korea in October for about $130,000.

Matsushucksa recently began selling a 65-inch plasma set for about $8,600 in Japan.

Matsushucksa, the world's top seller of plasma TVs, said the bulk of demand for the 103-inch set would probably come from businesses, schools and medical institutions, but it also saw demand from consumers looking to set up home theatres.

"Demand for large-screen TVs is expected to further increase as digital high-definition broadcasting service continues to expand throughout the world," Hiroyuki Nagano of Panasonic said in a statement.

Matsushucksa said the prototype met full high-definition specifications, meaning it can produce images at the highest standard of 1,920-by-1,080 pixels of resolution.

Developing panels able to display a full high-definition picture has been a major challenge for plasma makers because of numerous hurdles inherent in the technology.

Search the Tailgate for DLP, HDTV or whatever - this has been discussed here a ton of times recently.

1249593[/snapback]

Searching for DLP and HDTV doesn't work because of that stupid 5 letter minimum. However, searching for plasma turned up a bunch of stuff, in case anyone else is interested. :D

I'm looking to buy a new main TV, for somewhere between $750 and $1000.  I'd like to get something between 32-40 inches, and it must be HD.  My wife and I will watch plenty of movies and TV (especially NFL), but I will also do a lot of gaming (PS2 and evenually PS2).

I'm pretty sure my budget eliminates plasmas.  I've heard good things about DLPs.  Are all LCDs hard to see from a diagonal?  I'd love to hear any suggestions/info/advice you may.

1249525[/snapback]

I don't know if I'll be much help to you, but I bought a 46" Toshiba DLP in October and love it. I didn't do much homework beforehand but a good friend is a salesman at American TV (regional electronic store). He recommended this TV based on:

1. Had to be HD

2. Not a bulky, heavy floor unit

3. Had to be under $2000

He did give me a family and friends deal on it to make it less than $2K, but it's a great TV. Weighs about 80 pounds and is about 18" deep. He has a 63" Toshiba that is not DLP and we both agree that the picture is better on mine. From the little I know, DLP is the way to go for non plasma/LCD.

It's looking like DLP is the way to go.  I'll probably have to up my budget though.  However, I plan on keep this TV a long time so it's probably worth the investment.

Where's the best place to buy?

1249880[/snapback]

Costco - seriously. They have a lifetime return guarantee. Sounds too good to be true, but.....

It's looking like DLP is the way to go.  I'll probably have to up my budget though.  However, I plan on keep this TV a long time so it's probably worth the investment.

1249880[/snapback]

Just got my DLP hooked up over the weekend. Bought a Panny 56" at a really good price via my employer's partnership with Panasonic.

I did TONS of research, and DLPs seem like the way to go. Here are my reasons why I went with a DLP:

Plasmas

1. Plasmas are susceptible to burn-in. So, if like most people on this board, you watch a channel with a sports ticker or play video games, there is a small likelyhood that these images can be permanently burned-in to your screen.

2. Plasmas are the most expensive type of HDTVs.

3. Plasmas run on a certain type of gas. These gases can run out b/w 8-10 years, and then you'd have to replace the TV, as there is no current method to replace the gases.

CRTs

1. CRTs are susceptible to burn-in (see Plasmas above).

2. CRTs are the cheapest technology, the oldest, and the least flexible as far as space and weight are concerned. It's a dying technology.

LCDs

1. There are 2 types of LCDs: flat panel and rear projection. Flat panel is the better version, but they haven't yet made a large enough screen for it. So that leaves us with rear projection.

2. RP LCDs have a phenomenon called called "screen door effect" (SDE). If you sit within 5 feet of the TV, it'll look like you're watching through a screen door. If you plan on watching from a distance further than that, you'd be okay. But when you have limited room with a Super Bowl party happening, some folks are bound to sit up close...

3. LCDs are made up of 3 tinted glass screens: red, green, blue. These tints can fade over time, and you'd have to replace the glass.

LCoS/D-ILA/SXRD

1. LCoS stands for Liquid Crystal on Silicon, which is a variant of the LCD. Many companies in the past 3-4 years have tried to work with the technology, but have failed. It is a variant technology, unlike the others, and companies have branded their own versions of LCos.

2. D-ILA is JVC's version of LCoS, and is quite popular. However, I've read a lot about the reliability of these sets.

3. SXRD is Sony's brand new version of LCoS. It is supposed to be stunning; even better than DLP. However, being a Sony and being brand new, the price is amazingly expensive.

DLPs

1. DLP have stunning picture, and no SDE. It is based off a chip that has millions of mirrors on it that flip over and over, and filtered through a fast spinning color wheel. The chip is "supposed" to last for 20 years, which makes it very robust and safe.

2. A small minority of folks see "rainbows" when watching DLPs (I've read that this mostly affects people with astigmatism). This is known to be very annoying, and takes away from the pleasure of the picture; it's distracting. While still present, the occurrence of this phenomenon has diminished when manufacturers started using faster and better filtered color wheels.

General Notes

1. Bulbs are issues. LCDs, DLPs, and any LCoS variant are rear projection units, so they make use of a bulb (lamp) to project the image on the screen. The life of these bulbs vary from company to company. People with the same TV have had the same bulb for 6 years, while others have had theirs burn out in 6 months. It all depends on the type of TV you get. Make sure you find out how long the bulb is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Then find out how much a replacement bulb is covered. Reason being, these bulbs can cost between $300 and $400. However, they are easily replaceable by the owner of the TV.

2. Extended warranties. Normally, I'm not one to purchase extended warranties, but since all these technologies are relatively new and expensive, I'd go for it. I went with a 3-year extended warranty through a 3rd party. I also bought a bulb warranty that covers the bulb for 3 years. Cost me an extra $300 bucks. Whether I end up using them or not, I feel better insured. Make sure of 2 things when researching 3rd party warranties: a. whether the warranty starts after the manufacturer's warranty expires or on the purchase date, and b. whether they use your TV's brand's authorized repair centers. When you buy an extended warranty from a big box company, like Best Buy or Circuit City, they usually repair it themselves, and they normally are authorized repair centers. Tip: If you choose to buy from a 3rd party, go with Mack over RepairMaster. Mack warranties, as I stated above, only use manufacturer authorized repair centers. RepairMaster warranties will use the TV dude from around the way.

3. 1080p TVs have just hit the market. These TVs display at a higher resolution. However, HD feeds come in at 1080i or 720p currently, so I see no point in buying these sets. However, the new HD-DVD/Blu-Ray formats and XBOX360/PS3 will be able to output in this resolution, so if you're a gamer or planning on purchasing the new DVD formats, then you might be interested in this type of set. Being a new-to-the-market product, though, it's quite expensive. Tip: If interested, go with the HP (Hewlett Packard) version of the 1080p TVs. They've generally gotten good reviews, and are the only 1080p model on the market to accept a 1080p feed natively. All the other 1080p TVs on the market upconvert the resolution from 720p.

Caveat: I gleaned all this information from many of the most popular AV/HD boards online. That being said, I could be wrong in some cases. You can PM me for a list of those sites or for any other questions.

edit to change: a "small majority" is quite an oxymoron, ain't it?

Edited by Qdaddyo

Costco - seriously.  They have a lifetime return guarantee.  Sounds too good to be true, but.....

1249893[/snapback]

My friend just bought a 70" Toshiba DLP from Costco...he mentioned that the return policy is only up to 5 years.

However, no questions asked. So during year 4, month 11, he can replace his TV with one of equal value at that time.

Cnn.com

Was this the link you wanted?

1249690[/snapback]

hilarious ... i kept wondering why the link showed up as "matsushucksa." so i changed "matsushucksa" to "matsush!ta" in the link (the exclamation point being an "i," of course), and it came up. profanity filters are sofa king great.

1249880[/snapback]

I bought a JVC 52" DLP projection HDTV at Best Buy. All my friends who also have HDTV RAVE about the color. It's also one of those "skinny" projection TV's (only about 16" deep).

Best Buy had a sale going on plus 18 months same as cash. Delivery and the stand were free (I had to put the stand together). I also got 12 months of free HDTV from my cable TV company. The extended warranty (4 years) was about $300 and included routine maintenance.

I am a VERY happy camper!!! :D

My friend just bought a 70" Toshiba DLP from Costco...he mentioned that the return policy is only up to 5 years.

However, no questions asked.  So during year 4, month 11, he can replace his TV with one of equal value at that time.

1249987[/snapback]

They've modified it then. Still, five year no-questions-asked return on a $4,000 TV? :D