[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clayton vs Roy Williams vs Burleson

Broken

I believe Williamson is listed as #5 on the depth chart and he's not looked all that good so far. Dropping balls, etc. Williams is already #3 on the depth chart. At this point, I think it's safer to assume that Williams will make more of an impact that Williamson in 2005.

911590[/snapback]

Uh......no.

From fanball:

2. Vikings' No. 2 wide receiver – Travis Taylor vs. Troy Williamson vs. Marcus Robinson: Publicly, Vikings' head coach Mike Tice claimed that Williamson entered training camp as the No. 5 receiver on the depth chart. However, we continue to hear that Tice is planning to feature the former Gamecock as the team's No. 2 receiver when the Buccaneers visit the Metrodome in week one. Tice may have even let the secret slip on Tuesday when he told the Star Tribune that Taylor is "no Troy Williamson." That notwithstanding, Taylor appears to have the No. 3 position locked down, which means Robinson could be the odd man out. Projected winner: Williamson.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Uh......no.

From fanball:

2. Vikings' No. 2 wide receiver – Travis Taylor vs. Troy Williamson vs. Marcus Robinson: Publicly, Vikings' head coach Mike Tice claimed that Williamson entered training camp as the No. 5 receiver on the depth chart. However, we continue to hear that Tice is planning to feature the former Gamecock as the team's No. 2 receiver when the Buccaneers visit the Metrodome in week one. Tice may have even let the secret slip on Tuesday when he told the Star Tribune that Taylor is "no Troy Williamson." That notwithstanding, Taylor appears to have the No. 3 position locked down, which means Robinson could be the odd man out. Projected winner: Williamson.

911649[/snapback]

Seems like a lot of speculation and conjecture for a fantasy site to make. "We continue to hear..." From who?

Star Tribune Story 8/3

It appears the team also will take great pains to reduce expectations for Williamson, the No. 7 overall pick in the April draft -- whom some scouts have suggested will need more seasoning before developing into a front-line NFL player. Williamson, who left South Carolina after his junior season, dropped his share of passes during spring practices and bobbled a few during individual drills Tuesday as well.

"He's where we would like him to be," receivers coach Wes Chandler said. "I mean, how many No. 1 draft picks come in and just tear the league apart? So if you're putting the expectation on this kid to come in and tear up the world, then shame on you. If you expect this kid to come in and be successful as a No. 1 draft pick, then you'll see that he's going to grow and develop."

To that end, the Vikings have made Williamson the No. 5 receiver on their depth chart. Coach Mike Tice promised that Williamson will "work his way up" but has no plans to expedite the process. For the immediate future, Williamson will work behind Nate Burleson, Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor and Kelly Campbell while also returning kickoffs.

:D

Edited by PaulOttCarruth

Why didn't you include Porter in this discussion?

:D

911771[/snapback]

I wasn't part of the original Porter/Burleson debate. Sounds like it was a heated exchange. My own opinion is that Porter is overrated. I think Curry will end up posting equal or greater numbers than Porter. I'd put Porter behind Williams.

Why can we add Mike Williams (who has never caught an NFL pass) but have to "wait and see" on Williamson??  :doah:

Plus...it is tough to list all the Detroit WRs when the most important aspect (the QB) is the biggest difference between these two.

911143[/snapback]

Isn't Williamson the one who has only caught 48 passes in college? Plus I believe from what I've seen he ain't exactly tearing it up in camp.

I agree, however, part of the reason is that I just can't get Roy Williams properly valued in my brain.  The Detroit running game appears to be on the verge of a jail break.  The WR corp is spectacular, meaning Williams might have to share this year.  And Harrington's projected success as a QB this season is difficult to get comfy with. 

I know there's upside in Williams, but I'm more comfortable with Burleson and Clayton because they are easier to gauge.

910944[/snapback]

Here is some support for your thinking, but I think that there is also evidence Steve M can balance an attack...

Here is the format ...

Year - Team - Rush Yd Rank / Rush Td Rank - Pass Yd Rank - Pass Td Rank

97 - SF - 8/8 - 22/14

98 - SF - 1/4 - 1/2

99 - SF - 1/7 - 20/29*

00 - SF - 18/10 - 5/4

01 - SF - 2/6 - 18/3

02 - SF - 6/6 - 19/14

03 - DET - 32/30 - 27/21

04 - DET - 19/30 - 24/20

* - Note 99 is the year that Garcia took over (more or less) for Young so there should naturally be a decline in passing stats ...

Anyway, if looking at this shows anything, it is that if Hearst and Garner (basically) could be consistently ranked above 8 in the league running in Mariucci's offense then Kevin Jones should be primed for a great year. History kind of shows he likes to run the ball. However, there have been a couple years where Mariucci high ranking passing attacks (98 when Young toar it up, 00 I believe Garcia's 2nd year, he even still ranked high in passing td's in 01 though not in yardage).

Anyway, maybe those years were out of the ordinary, but they are none the less an indicator that his offense had some passing success. Maybe a 9ers fan could lend some help as to why those years were good for Mariucci's passing attack? :D I tend to think the 1998 season had more to do with Young than with the coach though.