[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pac-Man Finally Signs

Shotgun Messiahs

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans finally reached a deal with their top draft pick Adam "Pacman" Jones on Wednesday night, ending their longest contract holdout since relocating to the state of Tennessee.

Jones had missed the first 20 days of training camp. But with his agent Michael Huyghue meeting with the Titans on Tuesday and Wednesday, they finally reached agreement in principle on a five-year deal with $13.5 million in guaranteed money.

"They'll type it up tomorrow, get it to us, and we may have to dot one more 'I' or cross one more 'T,' but he'll be over at the facility when the team gets back and resume practice as soon as they get back," Huyghue told The Associated Press.

The Titans had no immediate comment.

With this deal, only running back Cedric Benson of Chicago remained unsigned in the NFL.

The Titans selected the cornerback with the sixth pick overall and made him the first defensive player taken in the draft based on his speed and his return skills on kickoffs and punts. They hope he can fill one of two cornerback slots left open by salary cap decisions.

Coach Jeff Fisher had told Jones he had to be at practice Tuesday afternoon if he wanted to play Friday night when the Titans visit the Falcons for an exhibition in the cornerback's hometown. With the late agreement, Jones will not be able to practice with the Titans until Sunday afternoon.

Both sides had to work through details in the language of the contract concerning behavior and other issues.

Jones said he was happy that he's nearing a conclusion on his part that will allow him to concentrate on football.

"Amazingly, as bad as I wanted to play the game in Atlanta, there's nothing that can take the place of my dream," Jones said of finally having a contract. "I've been waiting 21 years for this. I'm just proud to be a Titan. I'm the youngest Titan. I'm hoping that I can come in and maybe I can contribute."

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound Jones, the franchise's highest draft pick since Steve McNair was third overall in 1995, won the Titans over with speed timed at 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash and his leaping ability in pre-draft workouts. He recorded a 39-inch vertical leap before the draft.

The Titans needed a cornerback because they cut Samari Rolle in February and let their other starter, Andre Dyson, leave in free agency for Seattle because of salary-cap reasons.

Jones, who left West Virginia after his junior season to enter the draft early, has missed 29 practices. Only five sessions remain before the Titans break camp Aug. 24.

He said he knows everything worked out for the best.

"It may take a week or two to get back in the groove. I'm just happy I don't have to see my name go across the screen as unsigned and all that. I'm very content with the spot that I'm in," Jones said.

Complicating the final negotiations had been the Titans' desire to protect themselves. Jones was arrested July 13 and recently had two misdemeanor assault charges and a count of felony vandalism postponed until Dec. 8.

He had his own lawyer file a civil lawsuit last week against the men who had him arrested, seeking $7.5 million for lost endorsement money and defamation and slander.

"All I want to do is help the team," Jones said. "I've been through so much with everything that's going on. I've kept my head high, and hopefully, everything will work out."