[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

huh - Agassi vs. Blake

Gopher

I get home from work at like 9 PM tonight, only to discover that the quarterfinal U.S. Open match is in the 4th set. Anyway, it ends up going 5 sets, but at about 9:35 PST, USA announces that everyone will have to catch the end on their local CBS affiliate EXCEPT those on the West Coast, who can continue to watch on USA. Two minutes later, Law & Order interrupts the match and I don't get to see the end on either channel. I'll probably catch some flack from the non-tennis fans for this post, but that's annoying! :D Agassi ended up winning a great match 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(8-6).

It was a great match. I've hit with Blakes older brother Thomas about 10 or 11 years ago at Saddlebrook. And I started following James' career when he followed in his brother's footsteps at Harvard. Blake is close to breaking out but he needs more confidence in himself. He choked last night.

I pretty much thought, after seeing the 4th set, that Blake would fall 6-0 in the 5th. He looked like he was falling apart or had no gas left in the tank. (Although it appeared to be more a lack of emotion than energy, especially since it wasn't exactly a long 5-set match time-wise). When I saw that Agassi won the 5th in a tie-break, I was not only surprised Blake made it that close, I was even more irritated that I hadn't been able to watch the end.

Talk about a strange match....Agassi looked terrible for two sets, then Blake does, then they both end with a 5th-set barn-burner. Like I said, I didn't think Blake was going to make it that interesting, which was my only consolation for missing it until I saw the final "score" and highlights on the news.