[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The discipline to wait ...

Grits and Shins

Cowboys and Indians is a new dynasty salary/cap auction style league. We tried for 12 teams but could only manage 10. The scoring is close to the standard performance system with some idiosyncrasies I won’t bother to mention. In an effort to differentiate this league from other we also have a punter (no defenses).

We have 3 formations we can run:

• 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 PN

• 1 QB, 1 RB, 5 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 PN

• 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 PK, 1 PN

Salary cap is $500 and we must maintain 24 roster spots.

Auction fired off last night at about 7:45 pm CST and Daunte Culpepper was first up … going for $104 or 20% of cap. Two hours later I had 1 player, Willie Parker, for $15. Owners were blowing their caps on the stud players … Gonzo for $100, LT for $156 … etc.

Another oddity to this league is that we will establish contracts for our players … 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years. Each year past the 1st is a 5% premium over the winning bid price. So if I wanted to sign Brees to a 5 year contract he would cost me $15 NOT the $10 I won him at.

Here was my resulting roster after playing the waiting game.

QBs

$15 – Carson Palmer

$10 – Dree Brees

$4 – Chad Pennington

$1 – Billy Volek

RBs

$75 – J.J. Arrington

$50 – Cedric Benson

$21 – Fred Taylor

$15 – Willie Parker

$15 – Brandon Jacobs

$10 – Ricky Williams

$7 – Tadem Bell

$1 – Eric Shelton

WRs

$40 – Steve Smith

$35 – Anquan Boldin

$35 – Roy Williams

$35 – Ashley Lelie

$20 – Troy Williamson

$9 – T.J. Houshmandzadeh

$7 – Reggie Williams

$5 – Joey Galloway

TEs

$15 – Dallas Clark

$1 – Ben Watson

PKs

$1 – Matt Stover

PNs

$7 – Brad Maynard

Several bids I wanted back:

1) I jumped Troy Williamson to 20 and over paid for him.

2) When J.J. Arrington came up at 40 I immediately jumped him to 75. I probably could have gotten him for 60.

3) I had my mind set on Maynard and paid too much for him.

4) What was I thinking bidding $5 on Galloway, especially when you look at the WRs I already had.

5) I had been very disciplined until Fred Taylor came up very late in the auction. I wish I had not bid on him.

Several bids I was very pleased with:

1) Dallas Clark at $15

2) Tadem Bell at $7

3) T.J. Houshmandezadeh at $9

4) Reggie Williams at $7

I went into this auction with the mindset of setting my team up for next year at the expense of this year. I wanted rookie RBs and strong middle tier WRs (since we start 4). For the most part I am pretty pleased with my result. It was really my first live auction, although I have participated in another dynasty / salary cap / auction style league. Live auction is MUCH better than bid board auction which is how my other league has been doing it.

I took much ribbing in the first part of the auction because I had no players while everybody else was filling out their starters ... at top dollar.

Good strategy. For any dynasty league, it is worth your while to not worry about season 1 and really go for the long haul.

It's maybe a little shy of the crop of players that includes Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, larry Fitzgerald, Etc..., as that would probably been where I spent most of my dollars as opposed to on true rookies, but you did manage to mix in Roy Williams, Tatum Bell, Lelie, Boldin, Reggie Williams, and Palmer.

Good stuff.

Good strategy.  For any dynasty league, it is worth your while to not worry about season 1 and really go for the long haul.

It's maybe a little shy of the crop of players that includes Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, larry Fitzgerald, Etc..., as that would probably been where I spent most of my dollars as opposed to on true rookies, but you did manage to mix in Roy Williams, Tatum Bell, Lelie, Boldin, Reggie Williams, and Palmer.

Good stuff.

975237[/snapback]

Most of those players you listed went for $100 or more