[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks Defense

bushwacked

In DD's game predicion comments included the following:

There's a good chance that YAHOO! was named by someone discovering their fantasy team was going against the Seahawks defense that week. While the Seattle rush defense sometimes rose as high as average, the team ended the #1 worst unit against wide receivers last year

That suprises me. In watching there games last year, it seemed as though there secondary was quite good and they couldn't stop the run to save their lives. I'm assuming they were the worst unit fantasy wise. Anyone know how they ranked against the pass in NFL terms?

They weren't the worst ... according to profootball-reference.com

Passing D

ranked 31st against passing attempts

ranked 23rd against passing yards

ranked 13th against passing yard/average

ranked 19th against passing td's

Rush D

ranked 19th against rushing attempts

ranked 23rd against rushing yards

ranked 24th against rushing yard/average

ranked 25th against rushing td's

So as you can see they gave up more rushing td's than receiving and were ranked the same in yards. So it is a pretty equally bad D.

On a side note ... in 2003 they were ranked 5 in rushing td's and 26 in receiving td's ... so they strenthened their receiving D some but let their rushing D fall quite a bit.

They weren't the worst ... according to profootball-reference.com

Passing D

ranked 31st against passing attempts

ranked 23rd against passing yards

ranked 13th against passing yard/average

ranked 19th against passing td's

Rush D

ranked 19th against rushing attempts

ranked 23rd against rushing yards

ranked 24th against rushing yard/average

ranked 25th against rushing td's

So as you can see they gave up more rushing td's than receiving and were ranked the same in yards.  So it is a pretty equally bad D.

On a side note ... in 2003 they were ranked 5 in rushing td's and 26 in receiving td's ... so they strenthened their receiving D some but let their rushing D fall quite a bit.

975719[/snapback]

Thanks, how are why is a defensive team ranked against "attempts?" :D

I think what DMD is referring to is the '04 Seahawk D giving up some HUGE games to WR (which led them to average giving up 24+ fantasy ppg to opponent WR, tops in the league). Fer khrist'sake, Peerless Price scored a TD on them.

Technically speaking, the run defense was so bad, and the LBs inabilty to do anything against the pass (partially due to injuries of Chad Brown and Anthony Simmons), the secondary got ripped apart.

It's not THAT bad of a group though.

Trufant, Hamlin, and Boulware are a young and solid group that will only get better. Added depth with Herndon and Dyson at the corners, and Howell at SS, are a positive.

Won't mean a lick if the line and the LBs continue to be unproductive, but the eternal optimist in me says that the defense will be a surprise this season.

I think what DMD is referring to is the '04 Seahawk D giving up some HUGE games to WR (which led them to average giving up 24+ fantasy ppg to opponent WR, tops in the league). Fer khrist'sake, Peerless Price scored a TD on them.

Technically speaking, the run defense was so bad, and the LBs inabilty to do anything against the pass (partially due to injuries of Chad Brown and Anthony Simmons), the secondary got ripped apart.

It's not THAT bad of a group though.

Trufant, Hamlin, and Boulware are a young and solid group that will only get better. Added depth with Herndon and Dyson at the corners, and Howell at SS, are a positive.

Won't mean a lick if the line and the LBs continue to be unproductive, but the eternal optimist in me says that the defense will be a surprise this season.

976802[/snapback]

I concur. The '04 D's tendency to A.) not get off the field on 3rd down, leaving the D on the field for long periods of time & B.) hold pretty well EXCEPT for third downs, THEN getting tired & giving up Huge game changing plays, were their undoing. However the housecleaning performed by Ruskell in the offseason (only 3 returning starters on D) will result in a much more mentally tough group, and a top 15 D. Probably not a starter in Deep leagues, but an OK backup/bye week fill in, in my homer opinion.

Edited by Bonehand