[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago White Sox are World Series Champs

justin

when you look at the list of Baseball payrolls for 2005...2 spots simply have to stand out:

12  Houston Astros  $76,779,000

13  Chicago White Sox  $75,178,000

Full list

1103226[/snapback]

I think that means that the lower payroll team won 6 out of 7 playoff series?

And that's 6 different champions in the last 6 years...

And yet people will still find a way to complain about certain teams salaries and the need for a cap.

And yet people will still find a way to complain about certain teams salaries and the need for a cap.

1103380[/snapback]

Having a high payroll obviously doesn't guarantee a WS title. But it does guarantee that your team has a MUCH better chance to be competitive than the others. When was the last time the Yankees didn't win the AL East? No team with a small-to-mediocre payroll could've gone to the WS six times in eight seasons (or won it four times in five years). And not to take away from what the Red Sox did last year, but they got there by spending LOTS of money on high-priced free agents (Manny, Pedro, Schilling). Being able to afford a few $7-$9 million/year guys (Foulke, Damon, Varitek) on top of that didn't hurt, either.

Having a high payroll obviously doesn't guarantee a WS title.  But it does guarantee that your team has a MUCH better chance to be competitive than the others.  When was the last time the Yankees didn't win the AL East?  No team with a small-to-mediocre payroll could've gone to the WS six times in eight seasons (or won it four times in five years).  And not to take away from what the Red Sox did last year, but they got there by spending LOTS of money on high-priced free agents (Manny, Pedro, Schilling).  Being able to afford a few $7-$9 million/year guys (Foulke, Damon, Varitek) on top of that didn't hurt, either.

1104063[/snapback]

see? That didn't take long.

The counter arguments are above... and in other threads but if you can't scroll up, I'll mention some of it again...

The Yankees didn't win the division in 1995. Pretty long streak, not quite as long as the Braves. No one complains about their payroll, because they only one once. If the Yankees only won once, no one would be complaining about their payroll either.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, short series, you get to the playoffs, you can win it.

The Twins won the division 3 years in a row.

The A's have been in the race (or playoffs) for 6 or 7 years in a row.

So those teams could easily have won multiple titles if they got the breaks in their short series.

The Yankees didn't win the division in 1995.  Pretty long streak, not quite as long as the Braves.  No one complains about their payroll, because they only one once.  If the Yankees only won once, no one would be complaining about their payroll either.

1106268[/snapback]

I don't remember the Braves winning four WS titles in five years or financing it with a $100 million payroll. :D

Anything can happen in the playoffs, short series, you get to the playoffs, you can win it.

Incomplete teams don't win World Series titles.

The Twins won the division 3 years in a row. 

The A's have been in the race (or playoffs) for 6 or 7 years in a row.

So those teams could easily have won multiple titles if they got the breaks in their short series.

Again, teams don't win World Series titles by being lucky.

Interesting that you mentioned the A's and Twins, who've never been able to support half of the payroll that the Yankees have. And, ironically, neither team managed to even get to the WS. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that they can't afford to sign that "missing link" free agent? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Congrats to the White Sox. Your guys beat my team, but you did it with great depth and great pitching... and so far Swerski is the only fan I've met with no class. The rest of you are great fans and gracious winners.

And what a decisive win too. 2 straight sweeps!

I'm always glad to see the good guys win, even if they aren't my good guys. At least we're all fans of quality colored footwear. :D

I don't remember the Braves winning four WS titles in five years or financing it with a $100 million payroll.  :D

Incomplete teams don't win World Series titles.

Again, teams don't win World Series titles by being lucky.

Interesting that you mentioned the A's and Twins, who've never been able to support half of the payroll that the Yankees have.  And, ironically, neither team managed to even get to the WS.  Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that they can't afford to sign that "missing link" free agent?  :D

1109155[/snapback]

The Yankees never won with a $100 million payroll either. I believe only the Red Sox have been able to accomplish that feat.

Should I have used "catch a break", instead of being lucky? How did the Marlins win, when the Twins and A's couldn't? The Marlins' payroll was that much more?

Incomplete teams don't win the World Series? Since when? Are you really suggesting that all of the championship teams were perfectly constructed? No holes at all?

Thomas Jones is looking pretty good with that 4.8 yds/carry average and 6 TDs, isn't he?  :D

1112050[/snapback]

The Associated Press reports Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (ribs) injured his ribs during the Week 8 game.

At least he didn't do it answering the phone this time. :D