[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish Question

Slusy

So I should have set an earlier trade deadline but I didn't, and now I have a dilemma. The two teams trading are 12-0 and 1-11; the 12-0 team is giving up Coles in exchange for the Jacksonville D. The trade itself looks innocuous enough, but the 1-11 team has that record because they left McNabb in at QB this past week (in addition to generally not paying attention the rest of the season), and he had Hasselbeck on his bench, so it's not like he had no options at QB. You'd have to be completely oblivious or at least not care at all to not know that McNabb's on IR at this point. All of a sudden he's engaging in trade discussions?

So I smell a rat. This is a friendly league with low stakes, but still, it's supposed to be fair for everybody, and I'm not entirely sure that this trade passes the smell test. How would you handle this?

Thanks in advance!

You grit your teeth, you approve the trade, and you immediately submit a proposal to the league for a vote by this Sunday that changes the trade deadline for next season. That gets the message across real fast.

I agree that it does not feel good, but strictly on a player-player level, I don't think you can override it.

Junkyard

The 1-11 owner obviously doesn't care and the 12-0 team is a weasel also.

As far as the trade goes, without any rules or proof of collusion, you have to let it go through.

Couple of follow up points:

1 - Make a trade deadline for next year. Week 12 at the latest.

2 - Kick out the 1-11 team for being an ass.

3 - Let the 12-0 team know that it is pretty shady to trade with someone that doesn't care and that while it was allowed, he did cross a line with his behavior. If your league is worth its salt, the 12-0 team should suffer next year with the other owners not trading with him.

Good example of why you have a trade deadline!

Rules are rules and you need to let this trade go through. NOW, change the rule like suggested.

It would not look right for you to refuse it without a rule behind you....particularly if you are in the league and in the playoffs race. You would catch much more backlash.

In our league, we have a rule that a team eliminated from the Playoffs can no longer make trades. Its a 14 team redraft and everyone understands going in (even with a Toilet Bowl). In the case of the 1-11 team, they would have been out of it before week 10 (the most common trade deadline I've seen) so a trade like this could have been pulled off then.

You can give the coaches a hard time like suggested but I'd let the rest of the league do that.

That's what you get for not stopping trades this late in FF season. Our trade line stops week 10. Do they have to pay to trade? If he's 12-1, a Defense shouldn't do much. Sounds like he's got a good squad and you don't. Sorry that wasn't called for, I am just pissed my team sucks!! :D

Freeze the rosters of teams eliminated. Then there is no bs. A trade like this would be OK if the owner was still mathematical alive. A trade between a team eliminated from the playoffs and a team still in the playoffs is never done on the up and up. THere is no benefit for the team already eliminated. If you can't win straight then too bad.