[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jones and Hopkins agree to fight

whomper

Hopkins, Jones Reportedly Agree to Rematch of '93 Bout

Boxers Have Combined for 70 Knockouts in Illustrious Careers

BRISTOL, Conn. (Dec. 23) - Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins agreed to a March 11 fight, representatives of both fighters told ESPN.com on Friday.

The fight would be a rematch of a 1993 bout, which Jones won by unanimous decision.

"I think it's very exciting. Bernard is very happy about it and so is Roy. It's fantastic," said Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Hopkins.

The 12-round light heavyweight fight was still without a venue.

"We have a deal," Jones' adviser Brad Jacobs said. "I have Richard's word that Hopkins is in. And Roy told me, 'Let's go.' Everybody reviewed what was on the table and were able to agree to it."

Hopkins (46-4-1, 32 KOs), who turns 41 in January, made a middleweight-record 20 title defenses before losing by decision twice to Jermain Taylor this year.

Jones (49-4, 38 KOs), who turns 37 on Jan. 16, is a former middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight champion. For a decade he was considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but he has lost three straight, including two by knockout

I personally wouldnt pay a nickel for to watch this fight..Jones stopped throwing punches 3 years ago..His fights are the most boring fights on the market.He throws 7-12 punches a round..Hopkins isnt exaclty a highlight machine himself..Hopkins will pound jones if jones engages..This fight shouldve happened 7 years ago..

I personally wouldnt pay a nickel for to watch this fight..Jones stopped throwing punches 3 years ago..His fights are the most boring fights on the market.He throws 7-12 punches a round..Hopkins isnt exaclty a highlight machine himself..Hopkins will pound jones if jones engages..This fight shouldve happened 7 years ago..

1236506[/snapback]

i wouldnt be so quick to write off this fight

antonio tarver is a tough matchup for roy, especially the roy which we see now, his tremendous physical gifts in obvious decline...tarver is lanky with a huge reach advantage...and tarver is pretty skilled himself.....and after getting touched the way he did against glen johnson and tarver(in their second meeting), roy was definitley afraid of getting caught again and reluctant to let his hands go

but this is more than likely the swan song for both of these guys...who are very proud men....i dont think either guy inteads on going out without leaving it all in the ring...i actually expect this fight to be somewhat entertaining,unlike jones/tarver 3 and bernards two bouts with taylor

anyway, theres much bigger fights on the horizon in 06

mayweather/judah

jeff lacy/joe calzhage in march free on showtime to unify the super middleweight title....lacy could be a future opponent of jermain taylor

suggestion though for whomper....get a few people together and share the cost...luckily i live about 20 minutes from mohegan sun and they show all the ppv fights for free...i actually went there on the 10th to see winky wright fight sam soliman at the mohegan sun arena

1236506[/snapback]

excellent info here. you're 100% right. This fight should have been a few years back. No one cares about Jones anymore, his mystique has long since been lost since his glory days (sounds like green bay). I would put my money on The Executioner myself. He has more heart at this point in his career.

• 2 weeks later...
i wouldnt be so quick to write off this fight

antonio tarver is a tough matchup for roy, especially the roy which we see now, his tremendous physical gifts in obvious decline...tarver is lanky with a huge reach advantage...and tarver is pretty skilled himself.....and after getting touched the way he did against glen johnson and tarver(in their second meeting), roy was definitley afraid of getting caught again and reluctant to let his hands go

but this is more than likely the swan song for both of these guys...who are very proud men....i dont think either guy inteads on going out without leaving it all in the ring...i actually expect this fight to be somewhat entertaining,unlike jones/tarver 3 and bernards two bouts with taylor

anyway, theres much bigger fights on the horizon in 06

mayweather/judah

jeff lacy/joe calzhage in march free on showtime to unify the super middleweight title....lacy could be a future opponent of jermain taylor

suggestion though  for whomper....get a few people together and share the cost...luckily i live about 20 minutes from mohegan sun and they show all the ppv fights for free...i actually went there on the 10th to see winky wright fight sam soliman at the mohegan sun arena

1237102[/snapback]

Judah once again shows no heart..He got lazy vs Spinks in their first fight..KOd by Tsyu and now loses the tune up to Mayweather

Anybody who fights Roy Jones is doing it for the quick buck.

Jones is making boxing boring like Tyson did.

1266450[/snapback]

I think Jones with go out really bad vs Hopkins