[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sarge's bowl Thoughts

Sgt. Ryan

Biggest surprises

Auburn bushwacked by Wisconsin

West Virgina moved the ball at will vs Georgia

Speed Ohio State has on offense, had now that Holmes is gone.

Big 12 - major down year, under dog in every bowl game but 1, and will finish no worse than 4-4. several upsets along the way.

Biggest flops

Iowa

Michigan

Pac-10 - favored in every bowl game, played inferior teams outside of Oregon, and a 4 loss OU team beat em up. SC should win, but overall this conference bowl opponents outside of Oregon and SC were the weakest of any other conference, the only reason they will have a winning bowl record.

Next yrs top 5

1. Texas, if Vince returns, out of top 15 if he goes pro

2. Ohio St, though they will miss Holmes, Hawk etc.

3. Notre Dame, if they recruit some players with speed to go with what they have.

4. Auburn, they are better than their bowl showing, much better.

5. Oklahoma, freshman starting at QB, 3 starting freshman WR, soph RB, and young OL. promising, but a year away from threatening.

Penn St will be ranked in the top 5, but wont stay there long.

SC too will be ranked in the top 5 to start the season, but loses too much firepower to stay there, though they could still probably run the table in the very weak pac-10. Notre Dame will knock them off, and they will lose their bowl game as well.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Biggest flops

Iowa

Michigan

Pac-10 - favored in every bowl game, played inferior teams outside of Oregon, and a 4 loss OU team beat em up.  SC should win, but overall this conference bowl opponents outside of Oregon and SC were the weakest of any other conference, the only reason they will have a winning bowl record. 

1245811[/snapback]

IMO, Michigan flopped long before the bowl game. They couldn't finish a game the whole season and were consistent to that right through the bowl game.

IMO, Michigan flopped long before the bowl game.  They couldn't finish a game the whole season and were consistent to that right through the bowl game.

1245921[/snapback]

true, as did Iowa. Both teams failed to improve as the season wore on, which is why I thought they flopped. Michigan has way too much firepower on offense to lose to nebraska.

Sarge will probably blast me on this but next year in the Pac 10 the team to watch out for is Arizona State. Offense intact minus Hagan, O-line hopefully stays healthy, new Def line with linemen from Florida and Northwestern that sat out. An explosive offense with a much improved defense(just being average would be enough) could be HUGE next year. In the beginning of the season this team was good, took 2 freak special team TD's from LSU to beat them and looked very good in first half of SC game. Injury killed them after that. No more run game couldn't stop the run.

Sarge will probably blast me on this but next year in the Pac 10 the team to watch out for is Arizona State.  Offense intact minus Hagan, O-line hopefully stays healthy, new Def line with linemen from Florida and Northwestern that sat out.  An explosive offense with a much improved defense(just being average would be enough) could be HUGE next year.  In the beginning of the season this team was good, took 2 freak special team TD's from LSU to beat them and looked very good in first half of SC game.  Injury killed them after that.  No more run game couldn't stop the run.

1246638[/snapback]

nope, I agree with you.

I'd say my hawks flopped for the entire year. We lost to a worthless Iowa State team. Then lost to Michigan and Northwestern in games we just couldn't finish the job. It's just something as an Iowa fan I've come to expect. We are only good if we're sneaking up on people. Next year, my hope is we will compete for a Big Ten Title, but we have to learn how to play as favorites first.