[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Protrade.com

Big Country

Just wondering if anyone had heard of or used Protrade.com this year, either for their private league or for one of their public games.

If so, what were your thoughts of it?

1248218[/snapback]

I used protrade most of the season, starting back when the first free challenge was around 1200 people. I like the idea. It has improved much during the season. In the begining the price per share was too influencial in your rosters sucess. If a player got injured and another took his place, you could gaurantee his price per share would skyrocket. So if you got in at ground level ($10-12) you could make a killing long before the guy got on the field. Odd, since the premice was to reward the guy's actual performance and contributions to his teams winning. So they changed that, which is better. Overall, I like the idea. I haven't got any buddies together to try a private challenge yet, but am looking forward to trying.

What's the game?

1249419[/snapback]

It's essentially a cap based fantasy game, but it somehow treats players more like stocks, where there value increases and decreases based on their contrinutions to their teams.

What I do know is that they brought in Bill Walsh and Jerry West to consult on how teams really evaluate players. The example I saw was that in basketball, assists are broken down into a bunch of categories so that a pass that leads to a dunk ro layup is a lot more valuable than a pass leading to a long range jumper and so on.

Somehow they determine player values with dividends and such, but, other than that I haven't really examined the game too closely.

It's essentially a cap based fantasy game, but it somehow treats players more like stocks, where there value increases and decreases based on their contrinutions to their teams.

What I do know is that they brought in Bill Walsh and Jerry West to consult on how teams really evaluate players. The example I saw was that in basketball, assists are broken down into a bunch of categories so that a pass that leads to a dunk ro layup is a lot more valuable than a pass leading to a long range jumper and so on.

Somehow they determine player values with dividends and such, but, other than that I haven't really examined the game too closely.

1249520[/snapback]

All very true. Players' stock rises and falls based on on-field performance, and after each game they are awarded a dividend, either plus or minus depending on their contributions.

The things I believe they look for in terms of the players, are catches that result in a first down for receivers, many good blocks that lead to big gainers from fullbacks, clutch field goals, punts that pin opposing teams deep in their own end, things like that. It evaluates much more than pure statistics. To coin a phrase, the stuff that doesn't show up in the box score. Punters can be extremely valuable in protrade's system.