[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL, All Star Referee Crews, and You

Caveman_Nick

I saw at least 4 hugh mishaps by the officials this weekend, and I only saw 2 of the games.

In the Denver v New England game, there was the pass interference call with the really late flag on Samuel. The Denver receiver was clearly pulling on the defender's shoulder for the last 15 yards of the play, but the refs called PI. If any flag were to be thrown it should have been offensive pass interference.

Also on the Denver v New England game (and I don't place this directly on the refs), why couldn't they get a good camera angle as to the flight of the ball fumbled by Champ Bailey at the end of his INT run. The NFL should absolutely have cameras on both sides of the goalline at each end at all times. The type of shot that they had in the Chicago game showing exactly where Thomas Jones lost the ball and the path it took out of bounds. I can't say that I "know" that Champ's ball should have been a touchback, but I can say that to have inconclusive footage on it is unacceptable. Any time you hear the ref say "The ruling on the field stands" with no explanation it means he didn't have the footage to see anything clearly. That's just wrong on such a critical play.

In the Pittsburgh v Indy game, there is the much discussed Polamalu interception. My question isn;t with the explanation of the ref as to why he called it a fumble. IF Polamalu had caught the ball, come right back up, and dropped it I would 100% agree. There would be no 'if he stayed down it would have been a catch' leg to stand on becaus ehe wouldn;t have had possession long enough. My issue is that the guy rolled over like 3 times with possession of the ball before he stood up and then dropped it. What if he had rolled over 10 times? or 4? 5? How many times does someone have to roll over and over in clear possession of the ball before possession is established? There has to be some standard. If the guy rolled 22 yards downfield by some rolling miracle, and then dropped the ball with his knee still on the ground, would it be an incomplete pass?

And that was sooooooo bad, that the Refs have been mostly getting a free pass on a Pass Interference non-call that was worse than the PI call against Samuel. Randle Ell was grabbed and tackled mid air, before the ball was within 3 feet of him, and there was no flag. That could have been the worst non-call mugging I have ever seen in a football game.

The fact is that these allstar referee crews don't work. Referee crews are kind of like an offensive line. The need to know what the other people on their crew are going to do in certain situation so that they have the oppportunity to look where the other guy isn't. That's something you get from working with someone over a period of time. Let the crews that are the best crews overall do the important games. We just can't have the officiating playing such a role in the outcome of games. If Pittsburgh (and I hate Pittsburgh, just so you all know. Hate 'em) had lost yesterday, I don't think I could have watched another game in these playoffs. Because it would have been all Ref.

EDIT: Any similar stories from the other games would be appreciated :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

The Samual PI was bad, not to mention it wasn't the side judge following the 2 receivers that threw the flag, but the back judge that wasn't anywhere near the play. I can't undstand how the other guy doesn't go and talk to the back judge and say "I had that the whole way, Samual was going for the ball, there was contact on both sides, no flag"?

The INT run back fumble by Baily is tough. All the mobile cameras that move with the ball would be down the opposite endzone. There really is nothing that can be done there. The refs can't be in position because they certainly aren't going to run 100 yards at the same speed as Baily (and Watson :D).

The Polamalu interception was a disgrace. Has the league released any comment on this call yet today?

Also in the Indy game was the non-pass interferance call against Indy in the second quarter. It was so obvious that the announcers wondered if them holding the flag had anything to do with the bad call on Samual. Which would be scary if true.

I thought the league changed the way the officiating crews were picked. I thought the high performing crews got assigned to the game as a crew, not individually. Are they assigning by crew, or are they still mixing crews and assinging individuals by performance?

Edited by charty

The Samual PI was bad, not to mention it wasn't the side judge following the 2 receivers that threw the flag, but the back judge that wasn't anywhere near the play.  I can't undstand how the other guy doesn't go and talk to the back judge and say "I had that the whole way, Samual was going for the ball, there was contact on both sides, no flag"?

The INT run back fumble by Baily is tough.  All the mobile cameras that move with the ball would be down the opposite endzone.  There really is nothing that can be done there.  The refs can't be in position because they certainly aren't going to run 100 yards at the same speed as Baily (and Watson  :D).

The Polamalu interception was a disgrace.  Has the league released any comment on this call yet today?

Also in the Indy game was the non-pass interferance call against Indy in the second quarter.  It was so obvious that the announcers wondered if them holding the flag had anything to do with the bad call on Samual.  Which would be scary if true.

I thought the league changed the way the officiating crews were picked.  I thought the high performing crews got assigned to the game as a crew, not individually.  Are they assigning by crew, or are they still mixing crews and assinging individuals by performance?

1268906[/snapback]

Now they are assigned based on their knowledge of television revenues based on Championship match-ups, and ability to stop plays after contact on the lines and explain how no penalty is being called. And do it with a straight face.