[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It never ceases to amaze me that guys like this

Skrappy1

I was just surfing the Fox Sports website and found this article about the top 15 fantasy football busts of this year:

Top 15 Fantasy Football Busts of 2005

I realize that articles like this are always going to be subjective, and there's no question that guys like Jamal Lewis, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, and Randy Moss (the top 4 in this article) belong high on anyone's bust list for this season. But some of the others on the list, and some of the comments he makes, lead me to believe that he either understands absolutely nothing about fantasy football, or just plain old has his head up his ass.

The first, somewhat minor, thing I noticed is, he says of Joe Horn that he was the "Drafted No. 7 WR," and then goes on to say that "A lot of people depended on him to be their No. 2 wideout, and going into the season it wasn't that absurd of an expectation." First of all, the guy has averaged 87 catches for 1,257 yards and 9 TDs over the last 5 seasons...of course it wasn't an absurd expectation for him to be a good fantasy WR2 Captain Obvious. But that is also overlooking another even more obvious fact - if he was, as stated in the article, the #7 WR drafted on average - then a lot of people were depending upon Horn to be their #1 WR, not their #2. I mean, I know there are some smaller and some larger, but I'm pretty certain that the standard fantasy football league size is 12 teams.

Then I got to the guy he lists as the #7 biggest bust of the year, and it is just plain absurd...he says that it's Baltimore WR Mark Clayton. In addition, he says that Mark Clayton was the "Drafted No. 13 WR." I take those rankings to mean ADP, and if that's correct, then there's no other way to describe that but INSANE. I can almost guarantee that no one in any re-draft league took Mark Clayton as the 13th WR off the board...if they did, they are an idiot. The guy was an undersized rookie WR that played for a team that never passes the ball - he's a talented guy, but if you were relying on him for much more than the 44 catches and 471 yards that he produced this season, then you were probably pushing your expectations a bit too high.

My first thought was, this guy must be confusing Mark Clayton with Tampa Bay WR Michael Clayton - that would make sense, as I could see Michael Clayton being the 13th WR drafted - but then he goes on to talk about Clayton's time at Oklahoma, and Kyle Boller, so I guess this dude is just truly a moran.

Anyhow, I'm sure that we'll all still be able to sleep tonight, but it's obvious that this guy knows absolutely nothing about fantasy football, and I guess I'm just amazed that with as popular as it has become nowadays, that writers like him still pervade througout so many major sports websites...I just don't get it. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

You don't get it because you know of what you speak, as do most of the members here. The average FF league is made up of people in an office who have but a passing interest in football and treat the FF league the same as the annual March Madness pool. They're the people that show up at the draft with an old FF magazine from May. People like him are simply filling up space for them, not you.

You ain't missing anything. :D

All these clowns are trying to cash in FF now, they don't have a clue.

Anybody see the FF pamphlet that SI put out before the season started? It was completely ridiculous.

It advised that we avoid drafting guys like William Henderson (or the like). A couple of the guys that they mentioned I had never heard of.

:D

I wish I had kept it.

And I think I remember that it said something to the effect that you wanted to draft a WR and QB from the same team because of "chemistry."

1275011[/snapback]

Hey, everyone knows the key to success in FF is the chemistry between the players on your team. I just know I would have won it all this year if Chad Johnson and Edge could have gotten along better :D

Edited by Gdawg

And I think I remember that it said something to the effect that you wanted to draft a WR and QB from the same team because of "chemistry."

1275011[/snapback]

:D See, that's the kind of garbage that I'm talking about. How do these guys manage to pull a paycheck from this nonsense?

:D See, that's the kind of garbage that I'm talking about. How do these guys manage to pull a paycheck from this nonsense?

1276724[/snapback]

'Cos their editors have even less clue.

In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.