[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inventor of I-formation passes away

Chavez

Tom Nugent dies at 92

Tom Nugent, a College Football Hall of Famer who was credited with developing the I formation at Virginia Military Institute and later coached at Florida State and Maryland, died Thursday. He was 92.

Nugent died of congestive heart failure at a local nursing home, his family said.

Nugent was also credited with creating the "typewriter" huddle where players stood in two rows rather than a circle while plays were being called. He was a head coach for 17 years, posting a 89-80-3 record before turning to broadcasting and public relations.

He was 19-18-2 at VMI from 1949-52. During his six years at Florida State in the mid-1950s, he also served as the school's athletic director and coached ESPN college football analyst Lee Corso and actor Burt Reynolds.

"He put FSU on the map in the early years," Reynolds said Thursday. "He was an innovator, who brought a whole new style of football with the I formation. I love him and I'll miss him."

Nugent led Florida State to a 34-28-1 record and two bowl games during his stay from 1953-58 and coached the school's first game against Florida.

Nugent took the Seminoles to their first New Year's Day game in 1955 when they were defeated by Texas Western 47-20 at the Sun Bowl. In 1958, Florida State lost to Oklahoma State 15-6 at the Bluegrass Bowl in Louisville as a then-relatively obscure broadcaster named Howard Cosell did the game.

Nugent coached Maryland from 1959-65, posting a 36-34 record.