[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

generators

frenzal rhomb

Just had my basement waterproofed. Piping all around the perimeter, sump pump etc. I want to buy a generator in case of a power outage during a storm. I only really want it to power a .5 HP sump pump. Can anyone give me an idea how much they cost and how long it will typically run. I know they are gas powered but is there also a risk of running it in the house in my basement. Thanks. Not baling water after every major storm really appeals to me.

Just had my basement waterproofed.  Piping all around the perimeter, sump pump etc.  I want to buy a generator in case of a power outage during a storm.  I only really want it to power a .5 HP sump pump.  Can anyone give me an idea how much they cost and how long it will typically run.  I know they are gas powered but is there also a risk of running it in the house in my basement.  Thanks.  Not baling water after every major storm really appeals to me.

1295029[/snapback]

Sounds to me like something you could google and get good info on....

Yeah probably, thanks.  But I prefer to hear it from people who have one, experiences etc, rather than from the manufacturer.  Appreciate yor input.

1295048[/snapback]

How bout from an insurance company?

LINKY

Just had my basement waterproofed.  Piping all around the perimeter, sump pump etc.  I want to buy a generator in case of a power outage during a storm.  I only really want it to power a .5 HP sump pump.  Can anyone give me an idea how much they cost and how long it will typically run.  I know they are gas powered but is there also a risk of running it in the house in my basement.  Thanks.  Not baling water after every major storm really appeals to me.

1295029[/snapback]

Running a gasoline generator indoors ain't the smartest thing I can think of, unless you vent the exhaust properly. Even then, it ought to be outside. Generators are built to run in the rain, it shouldn't be an issue.

You can buy a decent natural gas generator that is completely weatherproof. They come in a package with the generator, connections, electric panel, and a base.  You may have to have a professional install it, but I'd go this route over a gasoline generator.

1295225[/snapback]

This is the way many here in New Orleans are going.

Running a gasoline generator indoors ain't the smartest thing I can think of, unless you vent the exhaust properly.  Even then, it ought to be outside.  Generators are built to run in the rain, it shouldn't be an issue.

1295057[/snapback]

A whole family died here in Beaumont after Rita from running their genny indoors ...

I know nothing about natural gas generators, but if you're going to by a gasoline powered one, you HAVE to put it outside. The right way to do it is to wire a seperate circuit breaker, and tie the things that you want to have access to during a power outage into that circuit. Decide what you want to run, like fridge, sump pump, a few lights, a few outlets, whatever, and then you can determine what size generator to purchase. Less is more does not apply here. You'd rather have a slightly larger generator than one that's too small.

Now, find a nice place to put the generator. If I was doing it, I'd probably build some very well ventilated small shed around it. Although they work in the rain and snow, if you're going to spend that kind of coin on something, I'd want it protected, as well as locked so no one could access it.

Then next thing to think about is how the generator should start. Will you always be home? If you have a sump pump, you may want to consider having you generator automatically start if the power fails. That way you can go away on vacation and not have to worry about relying on someone being around to run to your house and start your generator if the power fails.

If you wire a seperate circuit, have it set for auto start, it could become quite an expensive proposition, but it's probably well worth the investment if your other option is a flooded basement.

Sorry for the long winded post. :D

1295029[/snapback]

Seems like an obvious question, but have you considered a battery back-up on your sump pump? I have a finished basement and that's what I have. Kicks on automatically if the power goes out. Seems like a cheaper & simpler solution than having to start the generator (having to be home, know the power is out, & know the sump should be running).

I know nothing about natural gas generators, but if you're going to by a gasoline powered one, you HAVE to put it outside. The right way to do it is to wire a seperate circuit breaker, and tie the things that you want to have access to during a power outage into that circuit. Decide what you want to run, like fridge, sump pump, a few lights, a few outlets, whatever, and then you can determine what size generator to purchase. Less is more does not apply here. You'd rather have a slightly larger generator than one that's too small.

Now, find a nice place to put the generator. If I was doing it, I'd probably build some very well ventilated small shed around it. Although they work in the rain and snow, if you're going to spend that kind of coin on something, I'd want it protected, as well as locked so no one could access it.

Then next thing to think about is how the generator should start. Will you always be home? If you have a sump pump, you may want to consider having you generator automatically start if the power fails. That way you can go away on vacation and not have to worry about relying on someone being around to run to your house and start your generator if the power fails.

If you wire a seperate circuit, have it set for auto start, it could become quite an expensive proposition, but it's probably well worth the investment if your other option is a flooded basement.

Sorry for the long winded post. :D

1295373[/snapback]

Good post, especially the auto-start. Our work generator has an electricity flow detector and I imagine residential ones would have the same capability available.