[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now that it is all over...

Skrappy1

...and 100% on Sterling Sharpe - the guy was 2nd only to Rice when you compare apples-to-apples from 89-94 - as you can see here.

1316944[/snapback]

Seasons among the league's top 10

Receptions: 1989-1, 1992-1, 1993-1, 1994-5

Receiving yards: 1989-2, 1990-5, 1992-1, 1993-3

Receiving TDs: 1989-2, 1992-1, 1993-3, 1994-1

Yards from scrimmage: 1989-10, 1992-7

Rush/Receive TDs: 1989-7t, 1992-4, 1993-4t, 1994-2

Above are Sterling Shapre's NFL top 10s. He only played in the NFL for 7 seasons, but he led the league in receptions 3 times, in receiving yards once (and had a 2nd and 3rd), and receiving TDs twice (and had a 2nd and 3rd again). As you guys have said, when he retired, his 7 year stretch was about as impressive as anyones other than Rice (though guys like Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Torry Holt, and even donkey T.O. have arguably matched or exceeded those numbers since). Anyway, I think it would be hard to say that Shapre doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame...7 years at that level really ought to be long enough.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you guys have said, when he retired, his 7 year stretch was about as impressive as anyones other than Rice (though guys like Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Torry Holt, and even donkey T.O. have arguably matched or exceeded those numbers since).

1317037[/snapback]

The thing is, if you look at yearly receiving leaders historically, the tightening of pass interference rules has TREMENDOUSLY affected the stats of some of these guys - now obviously, Harrison, Moss, Holt, and TO would have been pretty darn good regardless, but I think to some extent you have to compare them to "Joe Wideout" for the area as opposed to WRs from a few years earlier. Obviously, Sharpe benefited some from that as it occurred in '92 I believe - but I think that's more than counteracted by the fact his WRs included such luminaries as Randy Wright, Don Majkowski, Anthony Dilweg, Blair Kiel, and Mike Tomczak before Favre showed up in game 3 of the '92 season.

Emmitt didn't get in on longevity. He had a great career.

1316955[/snapback]

I agree; I think you CAN bash Emmitt for hanging around simply to break Payton's record (though his final year in Arizona gave him a bit of redemption - he was still a legit NFL back), I don't think anyone can deny he was no worse than the 3rd best back in the NFL at any given time during his salad days (I'd rank Sanders CLEARLY ahead of him and Thurman Thomas on roughly the same level, maybe a smidge below).