[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Gurus II

Savage Beatings

Experts needed!

Problem:

About 1.5 weeks ago I lost my internet connection on my home computer. Don't know why. It happened rather suddenly.

Facts:

Compaq Presario Desktop PC

Windows XP Home Edition

Lynxsys Cable Modem connected by Ethernet directly to PC

Time Warner Cable Provider

We Use Internet Explorer

IP Address is set to generate automatically

PC has a built-in wireless card with antannae sticking out hte back, but we do not use it anymore. So there are no other networked computers or anything like that, just the one PC. Still , I wonder if this could be an issue.

Here's the deal:

I've gone through 3 levels of technicians from our Cable company's telephone support, but so far nobody can figure out why we do not have connectivity. They show that my cable modem is working properly from their end.

Some of the things we've tried, include unpluggin and resetting my cable modem, shutting down my McAfee security center software, restoring my system to a previous point before the problem started, and switching the ends of my ethernet cable. They've walked me through some other steps looking at the Network Connections and the System Hardware Menu, but still no results.

The big question(s):

Does this kind of problem sound like I will need to bring in a live in-person technician to fix? Or does anyone have any ideas that I could try first, based upon what you see here? Am I leaving out any crucial information that you might be able to help me to provide? Am I just F'd or what? :D

Thanks for any insights you might be able to offer!

can you run ipconfig from a command prompt and tell us what it says?

1314106[/snapback]

I'm at work now, but one of the phone techs had me run ipconfig... I don't remember what it said ( :D ), but it wasn't anything that helped that technician figure it out. :D

you could take out the wireless card.  try a new ethernet cable.  try a new ethernet card.  could be a lot of different things, really.

edit: and run any config type programs that came with the modem/router.

1314114[/snapback]

Good suggestions... thanks. I'll try them tonight.

About two years ago that happened to me with both the PC and the laptop. Come to find out it was a virus.

Not saying you have one.... but you might want to have it checked.

1314176[/snapback]

That's the main thing that I am fearing at this point. :D

Experts needed!

Problem:

About 1.5 weeks ago I lost my internet connection on my home computer.  Don't know why.  It happened rather suddenly.

Facts:

Compaq Presario Desktop PC

Windows XP Home Edition

Lynxsys Cable Modem connected by Ethernet directly to PC

Time Warner Cable Provider

We Use Internet Explorer

IP Address is set to generate automatically

PC has a built-in wireless card with antannae sticking out hte back, but we do not use it anymore.  So there are no other networked computers or anything like that, just the one PC.  Still , I wonder if this could be an issue.

Here's the deal:

I've gone through 3 levels of technicians from our Cable company's telephone support, but so far nobody can figure out why we do not have connectivity.  They show that my cable modem is working properly from their end.

Some of the things we've tried, include unpluggin and resetting my cable modem, shutting down my McAfee security center software, restoring my system to a previous point before the problem started, and switching the ends of my ethernet cable.  They've walked me through some other steps looking at the Network Connections and the System Hardware Menu, but still no results.

The big question(s):

Does this kind of problem sound like I will need to bring in a live in-person technician to fix?  Or does anyone have any ideas that I could try first, based upon what you see here?  Am I leaving out any crucial information that you might be able to help me to provide?  Am I just F'd or what?    :D

Thanks for any insights you might be able to offer!

1314097[/snapback]

As I documented when it was happening I had major problems for several months w/ Comcast. Long story short.............the tech came out sooo often i had his cell number and he told me just to call him and forget about calling Comcast. I eventually had a direct, unlisted number of his super! The details are long, but it would work then not. Go down for no reason and come back. Not sure what they did, but one day it just started working and hasn't stopped since and that was Sept..

:D Call the human into your house. Waste no more time! And then request a credit!

Edited by rocknrobn26